The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vanity License Plates

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
Yeah, anything in QLD is a premium and is getting worse. State Gov here is broke, so they are jacking ALL niceties up big time. Next in the spotlight after number plates is road use revenue. All the EVs are not paying the fuel tax, so State is losing out. So all them EVs with MYTESLA plates will now have to pay a road use tax shortly!

I am just stoked that I was able to get these plates - I still do not get how the plate was not taken previously, as any good Aussie Slang / phase is pretty much taken up in multiple variations! 🤭
I have no issue whatsoever with transport authorities price gouging on personalised plates. They are a totally unnecessary luxury item and if you want them, you pay for them.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
UPDATE: only in Australia can you 'trademark' slang!!!
Looks like I have upset someone at LION BREWERY - as apparently the word and last name: Furphy is 'trademarked' by LION in 2013.
Apparently, you can trademark Aussie Slang that is 100 years old... interesting the Furphy family is a 5th generation business still entirely active and I don't see how they would let go of the IP to 'their 150 year old business name' which is directly tied to the slang take on Furphy... not only that, but it's also a legitimate last name...

Anyway, I contact Lion who said the name "Furphy" was theirs, and I asked if they had explicit rights to use the Furphy Family name (form Geelong foundry), which there were very vague on and didnt actually answer my question as to a yes or no!

Then I ring the Furphy Family business direct (same people that built the water carts over 100 years ago whom the story is told!!!) and they had no idea if any arrangement exists... haha. A Furphy indeed!

Someone so upset from LION, with the word Furphy that they called it in to PPQ and the name is no longer available!!! I get a full refund, or I can change to another wording set.

I just had to laugh a little at Australian law, allowing the IP trademarking of last names now!
They should at least send you a slab of Furphy for the inconvenience......

dime80

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like I have upset someone at LION BREWERY - as apparently the word and last name: Furphy is 'trademarked' by LION in 2013.
Apparently, you can trademark Aussie Slang that is 100 years old... interesting the Furphy family is a 5th generation business still entirely active and I don't see how they would let go of the IP to 'their 150 year old business name' which is directly tied to the slang take on Furphy... not only that, but it's also a legitimate last name...

Anyway, I contact Lion who said the name "Furphy" was theirs, and I asked if they had explicit rights to use the Furphy Family name (form Geelong foundry), which there were very vague on and didnt actually answer my question as to a yes or no!

Then I ring the Furphy Family business direct (same people that built the water carts over 100 years ago whom the story is told!!!) and they had no idea if any arrangement exists... haha. A Furphy indeed!

Someone so upset from LION, with the word Furphy that they called it in to PPQ and the name is no longer available!!! I get a full refund, or I can change to another wording set.

I just had to laugh a little at Australian law, allowing the IP trademarking of last names now!

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

That’s pathetic! There is a private vehicle that drives around in my area with some obviously aged number plates with the word QANTAS…. and I’ve seen so many other ‘brand name’ plates. After all, it is only a series of letters and/or numbers to identify your vehicle - not like you’re making dash out of it!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
That’s pathetic! There is a private vehicle that drives around in my area with some obviously aged number plates with the word QANTAS…. and I’ve seen so many other ‘brand name’ plates. After all, it is only a series of letters and/or numbers to identify your vehicle - not like you’re making dash out of it!
You are telling me. The PPQ fella sounded like some junior who didn't really know what it all meant. I explained to him that furphy is Australian slang (word) dating back to at least 1910s... he had no idea what it meant. He said it is the Beer Company, to which I said, there is no such thing as "furphy beer company"... but he meant Lion Breweries who had a beer called a Furphy brewed under license (but not license from the Furphy Family of Geelong who own the brand Furphy for 150 years. Bit of a joke to be honest.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You are telling me. The PPQ fella sounded like some junior who didn't really know what it all meant. I explained to him that furphy is Australian slang (word) dating back to at least 1910s... he had no idea what it meant. He said it is the Beer Company, to which I said, there is no such thing as "furphy beer company"... but he meant Lion Breweries who had a beer called a Furphy brewed under license (but not license from the Furphy Family of Geelong who own the brand Furphy for 150 years. Bit of a joke to be honest.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
Looks like LION did steal the name: Furphy Family had filed opposition. Looks like it went nowhere though... LION with their BIG lawyers would do anything to block a 150-year-old family business that actually made the 'Furphy' equipment. Looks like the Aus Govn. will allow IP for anyone even when the submission is in fact stealing an already existing IP.
Statement of grounds and particulars
Party responsibleJ.FURPHY & SONS PTY LTD
StatusFiled
Due30 Apr 2014
Latest due30 Apr 2014

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like LION did steal the name: Furphy Family had filed opposition. Looks like it went nowhere though... LION with their BIG lawyers would do anything to block a 150-year-old family business that actually made the 'Furphy' equipment. Looks like the Aus Govn. will allow IP for anyone even when the submission is in fact stealing an already existing IP.
Statement of grounds and particulars
Party responsibleJ.FURPHY & SONS PTY LTD
StatusFiled
Due30 Apr 2014
Latest due30 Apr 2014
no doubt about you @trobex, when you go down the rabbit hole you really chase those rabbits!

Back
Top Bottom