The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vanity License Plates

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:43 PM
Reaction score
So... I got this option:
a. buy new 75" TV for new home...
b. buy new 65" budget TV for new home + buy new Prestige Plates from PPQ for the same money basically...
I think we know which way this is going - I don't watch TB much...
55“ might be enough. What plate would that give?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:43 PM
Reaction score
55“ might be enough. What plate would that give?
That would be a Presitge Framed Plate 4 to 6 characters - something like below:

$2500 6C
1681568474442.png

$3500 7C (holy moly $1000 for 1 letter!)
1681568550537.png

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Oh - do we know if the GREN is more suited to standard plates or slim line?
QLD plates are 372mm long.
Slimline is 100mm high.
Standard is 134mm high.

1681568803180.png

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, I pulled the trigger today and plates are ordered, here in 10 days! As per below. Now the UK knows this as possibly a last name out or Ireland? For others, I am not sure if many nations outside of Australia know the word or its meaning, so here is a link!
1681632762214.png
furphy
noun plural -phies
Australian slang
a rumour or fictitious story
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furphy

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I pulled the trigger today and plates are ordered, here in 10 days! As per below. Now the UK knows this as possibly a last name out or Ireland? For others, I am not sure if many nations outside of Australia know the word or its meaning, so here is a link!
View attachment 7808640
furphy
noun plural -phies
Australian slang
Good onya! I’m so surprised that would still be available.

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7808640
furphy
noun plural -phies
Australian slang
Amazed that wasn’t already taken!

Annee

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine will be AT23LAS

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That would be a Presitge Framed Plate 4 to 6 characters - something like below:

$2500 6C
View attachment 7808590

$3500 7C (holy moly $1000 for 1 letter!)
View attachment 7808591
So you guys pay $1000 more than we (not me, I couldn't justify spending money like that) do in Tassy? That sucks. The government agents are removing the caviar from your table.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So you guys pay $1000 more than we (not me, I couldn't justify spending money like that) do in Tassy? That sucks. The government agents are removing the caviar from your table.
Yeah, anything in QLD is a premium and is getting worse. State Gov here is broke, so they are jacking ALL niceties up big time. Next in the spotlight after number plates is road use revenue. All the EVs are not paying the fuel tax, so State is losing out. So all them EVs with MYTESLA plates will now have to pay a road use tax shortly!

I am just stoked that I was able to get these plates - I still do not get how the plate was not taken previously, as any good Aussie Slang / phase is pretty much taken up in multiple variations! 🤭

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, anything in QLD is a premium and is getting worse. State Gov here is broke, so they are jacking ALL niceties up big time. Next in the spotlight after number plates is road use revenue. All the EVs are not paying the fuel tax, so State is losing out. So all them EVs with MYTESLA plates will now have to pay a road use tax shortly!

I am just stoked that I was able to get these plates - I still do not get how the plate was not taken previously, as any good Aussie Slang / phase is pretty much taken up in multiple variations! 🤭
maybe most Aussies didn't know how to spell 'furphy'

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
maybe most Aussies didn't know how to spell 'furphy'
Likely the reason... or, the likelihood that more than half of the Australian population does not know its meaning!!! I have used the word so many times in my career with people not telling the truth, and drawn blank faces quite often... then I tell them they are 'telling lies" and they instantly get defensive... ;) got'ya!

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ouch! Finally found something that's cheaper in Vic, these plates would be $495 to $795. 3JOHA still available.......

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
UPDATE: only in Australia can you 'trademark' slang!!!
Looks like I have upset someone at LION BREWERY - as apparently the word and last name: Furphy is 'trademarked' by LION in 2013.
Apparently, you can trademark Aussie Slang that is 100 years old... interesting the Furphy family is a 5th generation business still entirely active and I don't see how they would let go of the IP to 'their 150 year old business name' which is directly tied to the slang take on Furphy... not only that, but it's also a legitimate last name...

Anyway, I contact Lion who said the name "Furphy" was theirs, and I asked if they had explicit rights to use the Furphy Family name (form Geelong foundry), which there were very vague on and didnt actually answer my question as to a yes or no!

Then I ring the Furphy Family business direct (same people that built the water carts over 100 years ago whom the story is told!!!) and they had no idea if any arrangement exists... haha. A Furphy indeed!

Someone so upset from LION, with the word Furphy that they called it in to PPQ and the name is no longer available!!! I get a full refund, or I can change to another wording set.

I just had to laugh a little at Australian law, allowing the IP trademarking of last names now!

Back
Top Bottom