The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

TPMS - The Quest for a second set of tyres/rims/sensors - Technical

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
The oem TPMS are Continental ones but you can clone them using an Autel TPMS reader
I have then bought a second set of TPMs from Autel and cloned the originals.
You may have found the holy grail!

Can you confirm model/web page of the reader and sensors and whether working on the Grenadier sans problems?

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
Auto MaxiTPMS TS508 - set to market Europe. (discontinued replaced by maxiTPMS TS508WF - that allows or WiFi updates)

MaxiTPMS TS508WF/TS508

INEOS Grenadier available from sensor software update v1.99 (minor changes in v2.00) - but only in Europe market not Australia or USA (this is found under settings)

Autel MX Sensor - Metal valve (315 & 433MHz programmable universal sensors) - available in press fit or screw in (for the valve attachment) and rubber or metal valve - check carefully which variant
Available in a kit from Autel, with the tool or separate and via various resellers (shop carefully for better pricing AUD25-50 each)

IMG_2736.jpg

The Tool describes the relearn procedure as copy or clone sensors and OBD diagnostics not available on the tool at v2.00 with Ineos at software version xxxx1946
v2.00 software on the tool does not tell you too plug in to the OBD Diagnostics port in Advanced Mode (v1.99 did and then threw an error message)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
Since I'm a bit spoiled by my job (SW engineer), I thought about the HEX IDs of the sensors and how I would set them with an Autel device.

So if you want to remember the IDs always without a sticker somewhere, just set them like FL, FR, RL and RR which is in HEX:

FL = 464C
FR = 4652
RL = 524C
RR = 5252
SW = 5357 (Spare Wheel)

and fill up with some hex digits until you have as much characters as your car expects, for example eight characters each:

FL -> 464C0000
FR -> 46520000
RL -> 524C0000
RR -> 52520000
SW -> 53570000

Yes, I was a bit bored this afternoon ... 🤷‍♂️
(but will anyway use this coding schema 😜 )

TNT647

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
Ok wise men of Ineos forum, I have replaced tires to BFGoodrich 285/65-18 K02 and predictably, the TPMS sensor is triggered and does not want to reset. The tire pressure is set at 46psi for all tires. What do I do correct the TPMS alert light?

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok wise men of Ineos forum, I have replaced tires to BFGoodrich 285/65-18 K02 and predictably, the TPMS sensor is triggered and does not want to reset. The tire pressure is set at 46psi for all tires. What do I do correct the TPMS alert light?
So I make no assumptions:

1) Kept the sensors and rims located in the same positions (and just replaced the tyres)?
2) You have gone to the Settings -> Vehicle Information -> Vehicle Functions -> Tyre Pressure and tried pressing Reset
It should say something like reset ok (then you need to drive for about 5-10m to have the TPMS alert disappear).
If not wait till tyres are cooler nearer ambient temps and try again

IMG_2997 Medium.jpeg

post screen shots of what you are seeing - you might have message saying cannot perform cold reset (can't remember the wording, forgot to take photo)
along with the Off-road -> temperature screen.

With your new tyres is the TPMS monitor responding to the sensors?
  • You can go to Offroad -> Temperature and if you drive the car you should see the temps and pressures on the tyres update every few minutes (perhaps every one)
  • Temps should rise a degree or two within the first few minutes of driving - this way you know the sensors are coded to the vecicle and the vehicle is talking to them.
  • Have someone screen shot this whole you are driving, our stop a take a picture if there is change... and post
In an ideal world with a TPMS tool - you capture all wheels sensor codes upfront and check that they are back in the same positions afterwards
And with a TPMS tool (eg Autel TS508 or other Autel model or OBD2 test tool) you can trigger the sensors and see the results immediately on the Offroad -> Temperature console display of the vehicle (with the ignition on but you don't need the vehicle running).

Last edited:

TNT647

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So I make no assumptions:

1) Kept the sensors and rims located in the same positions (and just replaced the tyres)?
2) You have gone to the Settings -> Vehicle Information -> Vehicle Functions -> Tyre Pressure and tried pressing Reset
It should say something like reset ok (then you need to drive for about 5-10m to have the TPMS alert disappear).
If not wait till tyres are cooler nearer ambient temps and try again

View attachment 7840187

post screen shots of what you are seeing - you might have message saying cannot perform cold reset (can't remember the wording, forgot to take photo)
along with the Off-road -> temperature screen.

With your new tyres is the TPMS monitor responding to the sensors?
  • You can go to Offroad -> Temperature and if you drive the car you should see the temps and pressures on the tyres update every few minutes (perhaps every one)
  • Temps should rise a degree or two within the first few minutes of driving - this way you know the sensors are coded to the vecicle and the vehicle is talking to them.
  • Have someone screen shot this whole you are driving, our stop a take a picture if there is change... and post
In an ideal world with a TPMS tool - you capture all wheels sensor codes upfront and check that they are back in the same positions afterwards
And with a TPMS tool (eg Autel TS508 or other Autel model or OBD2 test tool) you can trigger the sensors and see the results immediately on the Offroad -> Temperature console display of the vehicle (with the ignition on but you don't need the vehicle running).
My vehicle does not let me reset TMPS. message says something regarding temperature and to try again later…I gave up.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My vehicle does not let me reset TMPS. message says something regarding temperature and to try again later…I gave up.
From some else’s tip, try via the Offroad -> Temperature screen. Press the three small bars left of the word “Temperature”. There is a reset function there that may behave differently.

Also please post a photo of what the tyre temperatures are from that screen.

TNT647

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From some else’s tip, try via the Offroad -> Temperature screen. Press the three small bars left of the word “Temperature”. There is a reset function there that may behave differently.

Also please post a photo of what the tyre temperatures are from that screen.
IMG_6696.jpegIMG_6697.jpeg
These are the warning message get that will not let me reset TMPS.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7841993
This is the tire temperature. I have tried to reset but seem to get into loop. So I gave up again.
1) I think your right hand wheels are the wrong way round - so the sensors have been identified in the wrong place (I had that issue on mine) - thats an Ineos Testing Tool reset. See how the two views have the 51 psi tyres in the different places - if the coding is correct those views would agree - and I am assuming the rears are at 51psi

2) And if you can't rest to Cold Pressure when you first get in the vehicle , so ambient outside air temp and tyre temp are close to the same I'd be taking the issue to your dealer and having them escalate it. I have to admit I think there is something weird going on here too as I had a spell where it wasn't working on a trip away, but working at the moment, but then a few of my tests have been in the driveway without a few kms warmup. I seemed to have more issues in the colder states of NSW and VIC (rather than in my warm QLD ambient temps of summer).

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:06 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7841993
This is the tire temperature. I have tried to reset but seem to get into loop. So I gave up again.
Mine show right side for rear tires as well. I had new tires mounted (33s) and the dealer had to drive it for about 30 minutes to get it to learn the tires, which it apparently did in the wrong positions. I was also having issues with getting my TPMS reset to work, so I finally just set the cold pressures to the door tag (43 front, 49 rear) and the warnings all went away.

TNT647

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1) I think your right hand wheels are the wrong way round - so the sensors have been identified in the wrong place (I had that issue on mine) - thats an Ineos Testing Tool reset. See how the two views have the 51 psi tyres in the different places - if the coding is correct those views would agree - and I am assuming the rears are at 51psi

2) And if you can't rest to Cold Pressure when you first get in the vehicle , so ambient outside air temp and tyre temp are close to the same I'd be taking the issue to your dealer and having them escalate it. I have to admit I think there is something weird going on here too as I had a spell where it wasn't working on a trip away, but working at the moment, but then a few of my tests have been in the driveway without a few kms warmup. I seemed to have more issues in the colder states of NSW and VIC (rather than in my warm QLD ambient temps of summer).
Thanks Dougie. I think I’ve tried everything…looks like I’ll have to wait to I visit the dealer to try to correct the problem. It’s not big deal but just annoying.

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
For what it is worth, and this is the entirety of the info I have:
- my dealer said a new set of sensors is $770 + labor. And is a lot of labor to manually verify serial #s of each sensor, wheel position, and the vehicle. So reads the proper wheel on the screen
- spoke to Discount Tire person and he said they have the Grenadier in their system. Is a fairly generic sensor. And about $60 each. I didn't get model, part #, etc. And they haven't swapped any yet so had no experience on mapping the specific sensor/wheel.

Matiassebastian

Production/Transit
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
For what it is worth, and this is the entirety of the info I have:
- my dealer said a new set of sensors is $770 + labor. And is a lot of labor to manually verify serial #s of each sensor, wheel position, and the vehicle. So reads the proper wheel on the screen
- spoke to Discount Tire person and he said they have the Grenadier in their system. Is a fairly generic sensor. And about $60 each. I didn't get model, part #, etc. And they haven't swapped any yet so had no experience on mapping the specific sensor/wheel.
I bought the Autel MX sensors for 20 each and the reader/programer for 200 and did everything in 25min. Actually I replaced the original tires with a new set with MX sensors and the Grenadier read them in 2 min by itself with no intervention….

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
I bought the Autel MX sensors for 20 each and the reader/programer for 200 and did everything in 25min. Actually I replaced the original tires with a new set with MX sensors and the Grenadier read them in 2 min by itself with no intervention….
That is encouraging

Tarheel

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What was the exact process? Program the new sensors with tool for Grenadier? Did you have to pull any info from the Grenadier first with the tool?

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What was the exact process? Program the new sensors with tool for Grenadier? Did you have to pull any info from the Grenadier first with the tool?
You can read all 4 original wheels and clone them as a set to new or existing Autel MX sensors. You can read a single wheel for the spare and clone it.

You need to know which wheel is which and put the new tyres with their cloned sensors in the same position as what you are replacing. It pays to activate sensors first just to check they work rather than leaving it to when they are in a tyre. Then you also know if the tyre technician damaged your sensor if it was working first.

To recode the sensor when in an inflated tyre, you need to set the Autel tool to allow you to program a sensor when it registers above 8psi.

Using the tool scan the turning place first. Suggest you take pictures of the 4 and the spare first and save the codes. You can always manually key in the 7 hex digits in and recode a sensor one at a time. You can recode a sensor too.

IMG_2991.jpeg

IMG_3017.jpeg

Lastly don’t forget to move the original tyres away from the vehicle to make sure the car is reading all the new sensors. You should also see the tyre temperatures rise when driving further 4 main wheels on the off road -> temperature screen.

Hope this helps.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
You can read all 4 original wheels and clone them as a set to new or existing Autel MX sensors. You can read a single wheel for the spare and clone it.

You need to know which wheel is which and put the new tyres with their cloned sensors in the same position as what you are replacing. It pays to activate sensors first just to check they work rather than leaving it to when they are in a tyre. Then you also know if the tyre technician damaged your sensor if it was working first.

To recode the sensor when in an inflated tyre, you need to set the Autel tool to allow you to program a sensor when it registers above 8psi.

Using the tool scan the turning place first. Suggest you take pictures of the 4 and the spare first and save the codes. You can always manually key in the 7 hex digits in and recode a sensor one at a time. You can recode a sensor too.

View attachment 7843687

View attachment 7843689

Lastly don’t forget to move the original tyres away from the vehicle to make sure the car is reading all the new sensors. You should also see the tyre temperatures rise when driving further 4 main wheels on the off road -> temperature screen.

Hope this helps.
Hi Douggie,

Been awaiting a fix for this. I have 5x original wheels & tyres/sensors and they worked. I then bought 5x new steel wheels and new tyres/internet sensors and they have never worked, not surprisingly.

If I buy 5x of theses; https://www.obdprice.co.uk/collecti...l-2-in-1-rubber-sensor?variant=39629513654337

and 1x of these https://www.obdprice.co.uk/collections/tpms-service-tools/products/autel-maxitpms-ts508wf-1

fit the MX sensors to the 5 wheels then you reckon I can re-program and all will be fine to swap between the two sets? I swap my tyres twice a year and rotate them perhaps another couple of times so not only do I need a solution for the new set of tyres I need to be able to inter change them and relearn the Grenadier's system each time.

Do you also think the TS508 will 'speak' to the original Ineos sensors?

Thanks in advance

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Douggie,

Been awaiting a fix for this. I have 5x original wheels & tyres/sensors and they worked. I then bought 5x new steel wheels and new tyres/internet sensors and they have never worked, not surprisingly.

If I buy 5x of theses; https://www.obdprice.co.uk/collecti...l-2-in-1-rubber-sensor?variant=39629513654337

and 1x of these https://www.obdprice.co.uk/collections/tpms-service-tools/products/autel-maxitpms-ts508wf-1

fit the MX sensors to the 5 wheels then you reckon I can re-program and all will be fine to swap between the two sets? I swap my tyres twice a year and rotate them perhaps another couple of times so not only do I need a solution for the new set of tyres I need to be able to inter change them and relearn the Grenadier's system each time.

Do you also think the TS508 will 'speak' to the original Ineos sensors?

Thanks in advance
The grennie comes with metal not rubber stem valves. Autel offer that as an option and I use the screw rather than the clip in. They are all approx same price.

The rotate will be problematic for you on the OEM wheels. Go back to the dealer.

The rotate with Autel mx sensors is achieved by setting the sensor codes back to the determined places. Which will have changed if you have rotated your OseM set and relearned.

So the secret is (at present grennie software levels) to put the sensor codes back to the right locations after wheel swaps. The only thing the Grenadier learns automatically is when you swap the coded spare in to any location. Then it expects you to swap it back to being a spare and put the original back.

Another forum member has said he is going to put mx sensors into his OEM wheels to to be fully flexible so he doesn’t have to go back to an Ineos dealer for a relearn. And has photographed his codes to know what to program where.

Hope that makes sense. And yes any variant of the ts508 is good with latest software for programming mx sensors to the grenadier. I have the older model and it works a treat.

Back
Top Bottom