The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

TPMS - The Quest for a second set of tyres/rims/sensors - Technical

Traveling Marvin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score
I know that the TPMS system is discussed in various threads, and I hope I have read most of them. But there was no conclusion.
I finally decided to postpone the order of new Ineos steel rims + sensors for my winter tyres since (and change tires on my existing rims instead) since ...
  • INEOS Support could not answer my question how to register the second set of sensors to my car. Told me to ask my dealer. (Case number on request)
  • My dealer told me that they have already problems with the original software, and can't tell me if an aftermarket TPMS tools (e.g Autel MaxiTPMS)will work.
The idea of a second set of rims was obviously not to travel ≈ 100 km (each way) to my dealer every time I want to swap tyres.

So if I may, I would like to bring it back to the technical side of it :
  • Have you managed to exchange tyres and re-link the new sensors ?
  • Which tool did you use for registering the new sensors ?
  • Any problems encountered ? How to overcome them ?
If possible, could we keep the thread on the technical aspects of the quest ?
Any help / information would be much appreciated.

Alprider

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This topic is well worth its own thread, I am in the same boat and have the Autel maxi tool. I've tried using renault and nissan (shared sensors with the grenadier) references to no avail..
I hope we get a fix soon or the option to disable the sensors!

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
Sorry I don’t have a solution, but hopefully some more context.

The wheels on the right side of my car did not correspond with the in car monitoring (system thought the front wheel was on the rear and vice versa). The dealer tried to reprogram the car to switch them round, but couldn’t. Dealer raised a number of technical requests to Ineos, but no solution was found.

The real world solution was to physically move the two wheels to be consistent with the car monitoring system. That worked.

I realise this is no help to you, but shows what you are up against. When swapping to your winter tyres, I suggest you label the wheels and make sure they go back in the same place on the car.

I don’t know what happens if you use the spare wheel ……..

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
Sorry I don’t have a solution, but hopefully some more context.

The wheels on the right side of my car did not correspond with the in car monitoring (system thought the front wheel was on the rear and vice versa). The dealer tried to reprogram the car to switch them round, but couldn’t. Dealer raised a number of technical requests to Ineos, but no solution was found.

The real world solution was to physically move the two wheels to be consistent with the car monitoring system. That worked.

I realise this is no help to you, but shows what you are up against. When swapping to your winter tyres, I suggest you label the wheels and make sure they go back in the same place on the car.

I don’t know what happens if you use the spare wheel ……..
This system obviously needs some work. What happens when you rotate your tires? Or have to use the spare? Being able to monitor tire pressure is cool, but this seems to be a potential nightmare.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This system obviously needs some work. What happens when you rotate your tires? Or have to use the spare? Being able to monitor tire pressure is cool, but this seems to be a potential nightmare.
Yep, a question I have asked many times and got nowhere. Bloody annoying having the warning on half the time.
I live in hope!

Scotsitalian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a second set of wheels with KO2 on them as I’m finding the Bridgestones pretty useless in muddy tracks.
like you guys, my dealer told me the factory is unsure if the vehicle software will accept a second set of tpms sensors.
my local tyre guy today told me he can clone a second set of tpms so the vehicle thinks they are the originals and he can supply the original tpms manufacturer at 50% of dealer price?
he needs the tyre off the rim to read and clone the sensors!
anyone heard of cloning tpms?

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
I switched out my wheels and tyres almost immediately. The sensors are a simple valve clip on the inside and were moved from the stock steelies to my black rhinos. Had an error for the first two minutes of driving and then they settled in. Had to reset my tyre pressure on the infotainment system and was good to go. Done about 5000km on rough terrain and haven’t had any issues.

Performance Alloys in the UK have the sensors. They claim it’s a generic sensor and they simply program it. Fortunately I didn’t purchase until I tried to switch my stock ones…

Traveling Marvin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, one can of course move the sensors to new rims, but the idea would be to have a second (third) set of tyres for winter/ mud/ etc... which you can swap at home as needed within an hour. As I have for my 110. So we are really need the tools to remap the sensors to the car.

Traveling Marvin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
However, the good news are, that over on the "tyre pressure monitoring system" tread there are encouraging news from douggie.
(https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...toring-system.12410859/page-8#post-1333223592)
I have an Autel MaxiTPMS 508 Diagnostic Tool and it now has the Ineos Grenadier as a vehicle for which it can monitor, check and recode TPMS Sensors (very recent software update Oct 23).. I can get Autel 433/315 MHz generic sensors for as low as AUD $32ea. The TPMS Tool can code those sensors for the Ineos. The Continental TPMS part 407006UA0A is a 433 MHz sensor. I can find OEM Continentals for 2-3 times the price (and for a small fortune as a dealer spare part). Any comination of this pays for the TPMS diagnostics tool with a single set change and which will also diagnose and potentially allow for reset via OBD2 port for the vehicle not updating sensors after a wheel swap.) Tool has been invaluable for problems with my old Jeep Grand Cherokee at the time the original TPMS sensors started running out of battery - Jeep would call out the wrong sensors as failing after a rotate and well known Aus Tyre Co's replacing the wrong sensors.) Tool also shows battery health of sensor one metric missing from the Grenadier TPMS system.

Have a new set of wheels (and tyres) arriving for my Grenadier Trialmaster in the next few weeks (Method Race 701s in black with BFGoodrich KO2 285/70 R17 121/118R). I will advise how I go with using the Autel TPMS generics in them and swapping over the whole set.

I really hope this will work and douggie (or others) can report on the success.....

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 00.21.54.png

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I bl00dy hope this works too! Thank goodness the alert is only visual and not audible! Fingers crossed for good news.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The new KO3s have a RFID chip imbedded in them. I’m wondering if that’s what they’re for?

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
This topic is well worth its own thread, I am in the same boat and have the Autel maxi tool. I've tried using renault and nissan (shared sensors with the grenadier) references to no avail..
I hope we get a fix soon or the option to disable the sensors!
There is a software update out (use region EU) with the Ineos Grenadier as a vehicle choice. Vehicle update 1.99 (still the latest update)

IMG_2637.jpeg

The full check for Ineos is not as thorough as some (like my Jeep GC) it checks the 4 wheels and reports but it does NOT ask to be plugged into the OBD2 port and validate what the vehicle sees.

And can’t use OBD for copy but can create clone of existing Sensor IDs.

No OBD Diagnose option.

(Will raise with Autel support once I’ve seen what my wheel swap goes like in early Dec)

I can clone my MX sensors by manually putting in the ID. So I could my new set of wheels look identical. I’ll do a mix in a few weeks with the new wheels, just to see what happens ( have photo of current IDs and placement)

IMG_2632.jpeg

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Something strange must happen in the control unit that receives the reading from the TPMS sensors, or they are bad, or maybe it needs a patch or update, it is not normal for what you are talking about to happen, I have had TPMS sensors in my last vehicles and they have always been linked alone, when I changed the winter wheels for the summer ones and vice versa, I drove with the new wheels for 10 minutes and the sensors were automatically linked with the central unit, normally the vehicle has a sensor reader in the interior space of each step wheel, and it is the reader that informs the control unit of the position of each reading, not the sensor itself, which is the same on all wheels, I have always replaced them with generic sensors (much cheaper) on Aliexpres you have them from 10 € per sensor, in this case it is necessary to clone them, but it is very simple if you have the little machine to do it, you read the "old" sensor, copy the information and then paste it into the new sensor and it works. Greetings

Traveling Marvin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So, I ordered my TS508WF (with a 50€ discount on Amazon) and it arrived within 2 days.
I can read the sensors, as douggie did, but when connecting the OBD cable, I get also a system error. No further explanation.

However copying the HEX ID to the new Autel MX Sensors worked just fine. Guess it's now time to unblock the order for my rims and hope for the best when I will mount them. (BTW, since the MX Sensors are 30€/p compared to the 130€/p of the original sensors, the tool came "for free" and still some money left for more gadgets).

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
watching this thread with interest just incase any other forumite has found a solution to our 2nd set of wheels problem.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
If I have to buy a sketchy aftermarket diagnostic tool just to monitor the tire pressure on my new wheels, I'll simply use a tire pressure gauge. Remember those?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I have to buy a sketchy aftermarket diagnostic tool just to monitor the tire pressure on my new wheels, I'll simply use a tire pressure gauge. Remember those?
I use this one. Does not need a battery, has no electronics and measures very accurately.

Attachments

• 73C4518C-388C-4072-ADA6-8DCBA1ACADFE.jpeg
    73C4518C-388C-4072-ADA6-8DCBA1ACADFE.jpeg
    806.5 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom