The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing and Payload: Gren vs. Others

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
I think so to. It went so easy through everything that I can imagin that it will do proper as well with a heavy trailer behind.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
Agree with the points made above. If the weight comes from quality in the frame, axles, driveline components etc. then hells yeah. That’s where I don’t want them shaving weight. I hate it when weight comes from up-contenting the vehicle with ‘comfort, luxury’ crap. See the payload delta in a US spec a LC200 and LX570. Nearly 300 lbs lost to the luxury of the LX!!

The Aluminium doors and hood are probably their nod to weight savings. And if it’s a reasonable/ comparable data point, I recently helped my friend get a Mercedes GLS. Guess what the weight was..6300lbs!! Holly crap!!
Any thoughts on why they chose to not use aluminum (or alloy) for all of the body panels? Besides being lighter than steel, they would be much more impervious to corrosion.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
Any thoughts on why they chose to not use aluminum (or alloy) for all of the body panels? Besides being lighter than steel, they would be much more impervious to corrosion.
Don't discount galvanic corrosion ~ it can creep at speeds that makes rust look quite pedestrian.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
Don't discount galvanic corrosion ~ it can creep at speeds that makes rust look quite pedestrian.
The horrors of living where they salt the roads?
My '95 Disco has no corrosion whatsoever. Obviously not underneath where it self oils, but everywhere else is OK.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not especially the salt, although it will not help.

Just so many dissimilar metal connections that are not barriered. Sometimes it can be a very dry powder, sometimes it oozes from joints like toothpaste.

My latest pet theory is running a trickle charger via the towing socket just creates a giant chemistry set that accelerates the effects.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't speak authoritatively on this stuff so its just FYI for what its worth.

My interest in the Grenny was sparked by an article in issue 629 (Nov 2022) of Caravan World (oh how I wish I didn't live under a rock sometimes and got on board a lot sooner :cry:. The three page article titled "Could there be a new king in the tow stakes?" focuses on comparing the Grenny's specs against other popular caravan tow vehicles. Much of the article focuses on the why and how each of the various limits so just to make sure we compare apples with apples across different standard/countries this is an extract.
1670772067832.png

The comparison is summarised in the following table. The 200kg is not actual Ball Weight limit, it is just the weight used for comparison
1670772141504.png

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

My interest in the Grenny was sparked by an article in issue 629 (Nov 2022) of Caravan World (oh how I wish I didn't live under a rock sometimes and got on board a lot sooner :cry:. The three page article titled "Could there be a new king in the tow stakes?" focuses on comparing the Grenny's specs against other popular caravan tow vehicles. Much of the article focuses on the why and how each of the various limits so just to make sure we compare apples with apples across different standard/countries this is an extract.
View attachment 7797631

The comparison is summarised in the following table. The 200kg is not actual Ball Weight limit, it is just the weight used for comparison
View attachment 7797632
Thought Grenadier GVM in Aus was 3550? typo maybe?

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7797631

View attachment 7797632
Thanks for posting this Paul.
Towing was what first sparked my interest in the Gren, when they were aiming for 1000kg payload.
They still sell the Grenadier short effectively another 70kg approx of payload in these type of comparisons.
The Grenadiers weights are listed with 90% full of fuel, I can guarantee you that the other cars on this list would only have about 5% (nominal amount) of fuel in them when weighed, thus skewing the comparisons.
The Grenadier is the king of payload still, the lc300 is a joke in comparison. All caravan magazines should be taking more note, as all of the towing specifications of the Grenadier are superior, wheelbase, track, less rear overhang etc etc.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Paul.
Towing was what first sparked my interest in the Gren, when they were aiming for 1000kg payload.
They still sell the Grenadier short effectively another 70kg approx of payload in these type of comparisons.
The Grenadiers weights are listed with 90% full of fuel, I can guarantee you that the other cars on this list would only have about 5% (nominal amount) of fuel in them when weighed, thus skewing the comparisons.
The Grenadier is the king of payload still, the lc300 is a joke in comparison. All caravan magazines should be taking more note, as all of the towing specifications of the Grenadier are superior, wheelbase, track, less rear overhang etc etc.
It also includes the tow bar, bash plates, ladder, steel bumpers, etc etc

Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
It also includes the tow bar, bash plates, ladder, steel bumpers, etc etc
Is there confirmation of that? I've kind of thought that it might include some of these items, it makes a massive difference. The grenadier builder does not specify end result payload. It's vague in my opinion but I might have just missed it somewhere.
The other manufacturers listed above are stock, i.e. very little or no protection, standard plastic bumpers. Putting decent equipment on takes away a fair bit of payload.
This would mean that not only is the listed payload higher than other wagons but the payload already includes a lot of rather heavy items.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is there confirmation of that? I've kind of thought that it might include some of these items, it makes a massive difference. The grenadier builder does not specify end result payload. It's vague in my opinion but I might have just missed it somewhere.
The other manufacturers listed above are stock, i.e. very little or no protection, standard plastic bumpers. Putting decent equipment on takes away a fair bit of payload.
This would mean that not only is the listed payload higher than other wagons but the payload already includes a lot of rather heavy items.
Yes there is as they list the payload for each version which includes it's standard options however it looks like it doesn't include the ladder
Payload is 90% fuel, all fluids (adblue) but no driver.
This is from the Australian spec with steel bumpers.

1670840768502.png

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1670856671965.png

So have a look on the data for the Belstaff Editions. Don´t mind the German language as its the same as in the table of DaveB. With all the luxury stuff the payload melts down like snow in the sun.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7797666

So have a look on the data for the Belstaff Editions. Don´t mind the German language as its the same as in the table of DaveB. With all the luxury stuff the payload melts down like snow in the sun.
That's the table I was looking for.
Compared to most other vehicles out there that is still a very good figure

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's the table I was looking for.
Compared to most other vehicles out there that is still a very good figure
The European Belstaff edition seems to weight at least 27 kg more than the Australian "naked" SW. That might be the extra weight of ladder an luxury

Back
Top Bottom