The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing and Payload: Gren vs. Others

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:20 PM
Reaction score
An interesting but slightly off the hip take on The Grenadier vs Others on Payload stats.  https://youtu.be/Xy1OBULKKwk

The thought that this did trigger for me was  that, the diesel Grenadier might have a lower payload. Because the engine will be heavier. At least that’s the case here with Jeep and Ram vehicles in the US. 
Still the numbers look very promising for the Grenadier. I do wish the vehicle was a bit lighter though. 2600 kilos or 5700 is pretty porky. 
Thoughts/ Comments?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
Paachi said:
An interesting but slightly off the hip take on The Grenadier vs Others on Payload stats. ill the numbers look very promising for the Grenadier. I do wish the vehicle was a bit lighter though. 2600 kilos or 5700 is pretty porky. 

I wonder where all the weight is? The 4mm chassis? Engine? My '73 Landy weighs over 2 tons and can carry 1 ton. Plenty of torque , but bloody bloody slow!But it's an icon that I rescued , so it's staying with me as a reminder of 30s technology!I wonder how much weight the Grenny roof is rated for. 4wdrRoofload max's are surprisingly low , if you look at mfrs recommendations (which have insurance implications). 

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
The Grenadiers weight comes from the gauge of its running gear no doubt. From looking underneath a few times now, the one thing that jumps out to me Is how beefy everything is under there. 

I think they will shave a bit of weight off for the final production but don't count on it being sub 2500kg. It's a heavy duty bit of kit. 

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Spjnr said:
The Grenadiers weight comes from the gauge of its running gear no doubt. From looking underneath a few times now, the one thing that jumps out to me Is how beefy everything is under there. 

I think they will shave a bit of weight off for the final production but don't count on it being sub 2500kg. It's a heavy duty bit of kit. 

So you made it to some of the “roadshow” events? Envious of you there bud.
With regards to the spec of the running gear etc. maybe they really aren’t just using the usual marketing jargon about it being tough and are being straight up.  

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Stu_Barnes said:
So you made it to some of the “roadshow” events? Envious of you there bud. 
With regards to the spec of the running gear etc. maybe they really aren’t just using the usual marketing jargon about it being tough and are being straight up.  

Yeah I saw the grenadier at goodwood fos, the game fair, and of course the 2B tour! In person, you can really appreciate the thought and engineering thats gone into it! 

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Agree with the points made above. If the weight comes from quality in the frame, axles, driveline components etc. then hells yeah. That’s where I don’t want them shaving weight. I hate it when weight comes from up-contenting the vehicle with ‘comfort, luxury’ crap. See the payload delta in a US spec a LC200 and LX570. Nearly 300 lbs lost to the luxury of the LX!!

The Aluminium doors and hood are probably their nod to weight savings. And if it’s a reasonable/ comparable data point, I recently helped my friend get a Mercedes GLS. Guess what the weight was..6300lbs!! Holly crap!!

ericge

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a pic of the towing hitch arrangements?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have no interest in towing a caravan, but as I am planning on moving next year to a country town by the sea, I will need the ability to tow a boat/trailer.
I am surprised the configurator allows selection of a bullbar, siderails, ladder but no tow hitch.  

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
There was talk in the UK that the tow hitch was going to be standard kit fitted to all models... which might be why you cannot spec it. But we shall see in a couple of weeks

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
aylestage said:
There was talk in the UK that the tow hitch was going to be standard kit fitted to all models... which might be why you cannot spec it. But we shall see in a couple of weeks

Thats what i was told at the 2B tour, although i understand these things are subject to change.

It would make sense that the Grenadiers towing set up is built in, with maybe just the ball itself being bolted on and off.

This would surely streamline production, and not cost much

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I believe the tow bar will be part of the overall package.  Partly because they stated in Seattle that the Grenadier will have tow assist/anti-sway.  SPJNR, I think you are correct in the receiver will be there and it's up to you on what hitch you use.  

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
I reckon, the tow hitch can be of various types: A standard ball or this funnel-type automatic coupling type.

May be a configurator choice sooner or later.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The inevitable question which many will ask here in Australia - due to the heavy towing of caravans that we do here, is will the Grenadier support the usage of a Weight Distribution Hitch.
Some manufacturers clearly state these days that one is not to be used (VW Amarok) for example.

I cannot imagine why Ineos would say NO to one, however its worth keeping an eye on.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Being body on frame I doubt a wdh would be a problem.  I would be more disappointed in the suspension set up if a wdh was required at all.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
100% Agree - I dont use a WDH towing with a 280kg ball weight at the moment, as the Amarok is a designed as a commercial vehicle to have weight in the back (and VW say not to). 
Another reason why The Gren is looking like such a good proposition - fingers crossed.

However the WDH does provide considerable benefits if you are highway towing - if you have used one, you will know how good they are.  However, there is no way I want to open up an debate on WDH's here. ?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
First time I’ve seen towing figures posted. 

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128707_ineos-grenadier-price-specs-review-photos-info
“Buyers can choose between gas or diesel engines, both of them 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-6 engines sourced from BMW. The engines have received some tweaks from Ineos, with the gas engine delivering 282 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque and the diesel delivering 245 hp and 406 lb-ft. An 8-speed automatic and a permanent four-wheel-drive system with a 2-speed transfer case complete the drivertrain. The braked towing capacity is 7,716 pounds.”

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There ere a lot of comments about the payload being low but I can't find them.
When they were talking about 1,000 kg payload I have no idea what spec they were talking about.
Now they have the following
So the Station wagon petrol in trialmaster has 764kg payload which seems low however they have already allowed for 
  • 80kgs of fuel
  • The extra battery & wiring/management
  • Wiring to extra outlets around the vehicle
  • high capacity switch panel plus wiring
  • difflocks
  • trailer hitch 
  • raised air intake 
I guess that is about 130kgs that doesn't need to be added later .
So it is closing in on 900kgs equivalent payload.  

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DaveB.
You know that this is my pet peeve with the Grenadier at the moment, as to why they could not get more Payload in the vehicle - or at least the option of more payload.

I noticed the 90% fuel notation that you have highlighted.

Having had 2 LC200's which I installed GVM Upgrades to,  and 3 VW Amaroks - I am fully aware that NO manufacturer includes 90% full of fuel in the Kerb Weight of the car.  You would be lucky to get 5KG of fuel weight included in the kerb weight.  This would mean that realistically - the payload of the vehicle is being understated by at least 80kg's as you have stated.

This isn't really a huge issue, as to what the car can carry as the overall GVM doesn't change - however it does matter if we are trying to get to 1000kg of payload - we could be 80Kg closer, which means we are only a 100kgs or so away from saving thousands and thousands of dollars in tax.

I am hoping that INEOS are reading these forums, as they are turtle slow at the moment in replying to any emails to customer service.

Back
Top Bottom