The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tow Bars

Keith baker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a tow bar kit for the Ineos rather than the very expensive OE one?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:19 AM
Reaction score
There isn't one as yet. And from all accounts the original Ineos towbar requires fitting during production... no news as to whether that may change...

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a tow bar kit for the Ineos rather than the very expensive OE one?
Go with the Ineos fitted at factory since it will be warranted and software programmed for tow bar, and fitted into the canbus if needed, and there is no alternative

Dermot

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Keith, I popped into one of our independent tow bar fitting companies with the same question. He advised me that it would take around 6 months before after market tow bars appear on the market. Obviously he doesn’t have any inside knowledge but years of experience dealing with new cars and the aftermarket equipment. I just hope he is correct as I would like one fitted to my fieldmaster. Please post online if you are able to source one.
Dermot

Keith baker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There isn't one as yet. And from all accounts the original Ineos towbar requires fitting during production... no news as to whether that may change...
Thanks Denis. It is on the accessories price list which usually means it can be dealer fitted? It looks simple enough; the rear bumper flap is removed and then it looks like 4 bolts. Don’t know about the electrics though. Keith

Local time
Reaction score

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Denis. It is on the accessories price list which usually means it can be dealer fitted? It looks simple enough; the rear bumper flap is removed and then it looks like 4 bolts. Don’t know about the electrics though. Keith
@Keith baker There's no mention of a towball and electrics on any Accessories Price List - it has always been a factory-fit option requiring to be specified at time of order.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Keith baker There's no mention of a towball and electrics on any Accessories Price List - it has always been a factory-fit option requiring to be specified at time of order.
Factory fit only, not dealer, suspect this is more to do with the electrics not tow ball.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Unfortunately, factory fit only at the moment. I made a huge mistake by not ordering one.

The hardware is simple, it's the electrical hook up which is the problem. I m sure in time someone will do it, but I am waiting for a Grenadier approved agent fitment.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
Factory fit only, not dealer, suspect this is more to do with the electrics not tow ball.
This is most likely accurate... The tow ball assembly simply bolts on.

As @Trialmaster stated, I'm 100% positive the electrics will be made available from some company (or at least instructions on how to wire it yourself) in the fairly near future (<12 months). At least here in the US, when the electrics are available from some other manufacturer, they'll rarely (if ever) be 100% "approved" by the OEM.

Realistically, doing the wiring yourself would be quite simple with a few relays and piggyback off of the factory taillight wiring, but I understand the intimidation factor in doing that and the simplicity of having a pre-made solution available

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just fit one of these ??

I don't think there's one available that will bolt up to more than just the two M16 towball fixings. I think I would want pick up on at least two of the M12 fixings, if not ideally all four.

Local time
Reaction score
If you only have a 2 bolt fixing then these points will be designed to take the load.
Fitting an adjustable ball will not change the load on the bracket and the adjustable plate will be strong enough in itself.

You could weld a plate on, drill a couple of holes and then use 4 bolts but it's not 'neccesary' (IMO).

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you only have a 2 bolt fixing then these points will be designed to take the load.
Fitting an adjustable ball will not change the load on the bracket and the adjustable plate will be strong enough in itself.

You could weld a plate on, drill a couple of holes and then use 4 bolts but it's not 'neccesary' (IMO).
If you have an M1 that certainly won't be type approved, buy buy insurance

Local time
Reaction score
If you have an M1 that certainly won't be type approved, buy buy insurance

Errr, no.
Are you saying my/anyones insurance is void because I have a Dixon Bate adjustable hieght tow ball ???

I bet insurance companies love you....

Local time
Reaction score
Errr, no.
Are you saying my/anyones insurance is void because I have a Dixon Bate adjustable hieght tow ball ???

I bet insurance companies love you....
Yes we are

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I don't think the 2 bolt version will get you the required drop. I was thinking of the 4 bolt version

Local time
Reaction score
How much is the OE Grenadier towbar?

These days towbars are not cheap. On the Defender it cost me £800 for the removable one. The deployable tow bar was around £1300

Local time
Reaction score
I don't think the 2 bolt version will get you the required drop. I was thinking of the 4 bolt version
With all four bolts and the bracing bars to the chassis

Back
Top Bottom