The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sudden new spongy brake pedal

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Hi. Just got my new trialmaster last week. Was driving on road and did a slightly sharp stop and felt and heard click on brake pedal like abs activating but then pedal went spongy and foot to floor. Very soft but still functioning brake after that. Dropped it off at dealers - no mechanic today as too late but they will look at it tomorrow. Sounds like maybe abs solenoid stuck or maybe a master cylinder gasket but will find out soon enough. Anyone else had this happen?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Hi. Just got my new trialmaster last week. Was driving on road and did a slightly sharp stop and felt and heard click on brake pedal like abs activating but then pedal went spongy and foot to floor. Very soft but still functioning brake after that. Dropped it off at dealers - no mechanic today as too late but they will look at it tomorrow. Sounds like maybe abs solenoid stuck or maybe a master cylinder gasket but will find out soon enough. Anyone else had this happen?
Not good, in fact that may lead to a recall in EU and UK

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear back from the agent about the brakes, a bit worrying as they've had it for nearly the full day already...

On a related topic, I can't seem to get any info on roadside assistance from Ineos Australia. Am on hold to Ineos to find out if they offer roadside assistance if not will have to add it on to my motor insurance policy, on hold now for 20 minutes, I selected the call back option a few times by pressing "1" but am still on hold and callback option didn't activate...

Hoping it gets sorted soon. When it was running it was superb. Sadly only for 4.5 days. A bit like those Joint strike fighter planes that Australia bought that can't fly for more than an hour and are waiting for software updates so the missiles will fire. ;o)

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Old Ineos is having a crap run with the hoses on the grenadier.
That's on the assumption that most of the issues (a/c, power steering, now brakes) are all hose or pipe related problems. Time to look at suppliers me thinks.

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's on the assumption that most of the issues (a/c, power steering, now brakes) are all hose or pipe related problems. Time to look at suppliers me thinks.
Didn't see any fluid leaking. Was thinking more of stuck brake booster solenoid or maybe a master cylinder gasket. Will find out and let us all know. Interesting that hoses are an issue. Wouldn't have figured they would be having QA issues with those given the country borders it's being built in and who's ex factory they're in. Supply chain is terrible though so maybe alternate suppliers are temporarily getting used???

Reactions: PBD

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear back from the agent about the brakes, a bit worrying as they've had it for nearly the full day already...

On a related topic, I can't seem to get any info on roadside assistance from Ineos Australia. Am on hold to Ineos to find out if they offer roadside assistance if not will have to add it on to my motor insurance policy, on hold now for 20 minutes, I selected the call back option a few times by pressing "1" but am still on hold and callback option didn't activate...

Hoping it gets sorted soon. When it was running it was superb. Sadly only for 4.5 days. A bit like those Joint strike fighter planes that Australia bought that can't fly for more than an hour and are waiting for software updates so the missiles will fire. ;o)
Roadside assistance number to call is;

This is Allianz roadside assist, they cover INEOS.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Didn't see any fluid leaking. Was thinking more of stuck brake booster solenoid or maybe a master cylinder gasket. Will find out and let us all know. Interesting that hoses are an issue. Wouldn't have figured they would be having QA issues with those given the country borders it's being built in and who's ex factory they're in. Supply chain is terrible though so maybe alternate suppliers are temporarily getting used???
The coolant hose on mine that just had to be replaced after 300km has a large label that says made in UK

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hope your new Nuclear subs don’t have any hose leaks! Weren’t they supposed to be French submarines, how many £billions and years has Australia wasted on this project? At least you will have the worlds best subs to defend you from who exactly?

Last edited:

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Had call from dealer - mechanic seems to think brakes are "ok", and not found anything wrong. They've raised a ticket with Ineos, bled the brakes just in case, and doing more road testing tomorrow.
Pleased to hear it! Strange phenomenon though!

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hope your new Nuclear subs don’t have any hose leaks. Weren’t they supposed to be French submarines, how many £billions and tears has Australia wasted on this project. At least you will have the worlds best subs to defend you from who exactly?
nah mate. Last government was lib/nationals (Tories) and bought French Diesel Subs. New govt is Labour and ditched French subs, paid $500 million contract break penalty, and went with a $70 billion pre-order for joint US/UK nuclear subs that don't yet exist other than being a political concept. They expect to be built sometime in the next 30-50 years. So we are safe as houses with these imaginary subs for any and all imaginary threats. o_O

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
nah mate. Last government was lib/nationals (Tories) and bought French Diesel Subs. New govt is Labour and ditched French subs, paid $500 million contract break penalty, and went with a $70 billion pre-order for joint US/UK nuclear subs that don't yet exist other than being a political concept. They expect to be built sometime in the next 30-50 years. So we are safe as houses with these imaginary subs for any and all imaginary threats. o_O
Except of course it was the Morrison Liberal government who ditched the French subs for the non-existent nuclear subs incurring the $830 million dollar penalty...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Most I've seen/read about would be traced back to poor installation.

Initial ac issues were a bolt not tightened correctly, cracked pipes may conversely be due to over tightening.

Not seen anything, one way or the other, on power steering.

Initial brake issues were twisted hoses on installation.

There's plenty of evidence of electrical earths all being tightened incorrectly and stretching the cables. Similar with other cable runs where minimum bend radiuses seem to have been completely ignored.

In a perverse way, it's more heartening to think of them as installation issues, as they should be simple quick fixes; and you can still think there's quality in the underlying part.

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Except of course it was the Morrison Liberal government who ditched the French subs for the non-existent nuclear subs incurring the $830 million dollar penalty...
Yup. So many governments and so many policy changes. Can’t keep up any more. Pity my grenadier is in the shop, otherwise I’d go for a nice drive to forget about the pollies! 😉.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom