The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Speedo and Driver Display Modification Ideas

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
There have been some discussions about the small warning lights display and the "missing" speedo on the drivers side. I don't care about the speedo, but I have anyway an idea.

It should be possible to place an own display there. Either as a replacement for the original display or an additional display. An additional display with just spped speed information would be easy. Either with a GPS fitted, or by readout of the obd interface.

But it should as well be possible to replace the existing display entirely. We don't know about the technical implementation, but I guess it's CAN controlled. It's all guessing, but I can imagine that there is a small processor which receives CAN signals for which light to turn on or off.

This would be a classical reverse engineering task. If this can be done, an advanced display design would be feasable with a graphic display of about the same size - which could as well be able to show the speed. That's the idea.

I have no concrete concept in mind, but perhaps there are some others with some ideas. Preferably with a minimum technical background on CAN bus and microprocessors. No rocket science, but enough for a viable concept.

I would be happy to have a discussion about this.

PS: I am always short of time for such projects, so don't expect me to come around with a DIY solution one day, But we are many, and collecting ideas is always a first step.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
There have been some discussions about the small warning lights display and the "missing" speedo on the drivers side. I don't care about the speedo, but I have anyway an idea.

It should be possible to place an own display there. Either as a replacement for the original display or an additional display. An additional display with the just speed information would be easy. Either with a GPS fitted, or by readout of the obd interface.

But it should as well be possible to replace the existing display entirely. We don't know about the technical implementation, but I guess it's CAN controlled. It's all guessing, but I can imagine that there is a small processor which receives CAN signals for which light to turn on or off.

This would be a classical reverse engineering task. If this can be done, an advanced display design would be feasable with a graphic display of about the same size - which could as well be able to show the speed. That's the idea.

I have no concrete concept in mind, but perhaps there are some others with some ideas. Preferably with a minimum technical background on CAN bus and microprocessors. No rocket science, but enough for a viable concept.

PS: I am always short of time for such projects, so don't expect me to come around with a DIY solution one day, But we are many, and collecting ideas is always a first step.
There was discussion on FB and someone posted a neat display that you could fit easily on the "dash"

Attachments

• HUD.jpg
    HUD.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 49

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
Having driven the vehicle twice now, my opinion is that the speed readout on the central display is actually MORE visible than that provided in a typical instrument cluster, and here’s why …

The speed readout on the central display is HIGHER than that provided in a typical instrument cluster (which is always lower than the top of the steering wheel), and well within the driver's peripheral vision, immediately to the left (RHD) or right (LHD) of the steering wheel. Being high up, there is less eye movement required to check your speed, and less adjustment required for brightness, because the display is not down in the shadows.

I must say that I have not driven the vehicle in the dark, so I can't comment on the display's effectiveness during night driving.

I also find a numeric display quicker to process than an analogue gauge.

I would be keen to hear from others who have actually driven the vehicle, to hear their thoughts.

15BAA5C1-2976-4964-9A1C-645B2D77F472.jpeg

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Having driven the vehicle twice now, my opinion is that the speed readout on the central display is actually MORE visible than that provided in a typical instrument cluster, and here’s why …

The speed readout on the central display is HIGHER than that provided in a typical instrument cluster (which is always lower than the top of the steering wheel), and well within the driver's peripheral vision, immediately to the left (RHD) or right (LHD) of the steering wheel. Being high up, there is less eye movement required to check your speed, and less adjustment required for brightness, because the display is not down in the shadows.

I must say that I have not driven the vehicle in the dark, so I can't comment on the display's effectiveness during night driving.

I would be keen to hear from others who have actually driven the vehicle, to hear their thoughts.

View attachment 7802922
That’s exactly my opinion.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
I will wait until the vehicle is HOME, but my option is a Road Angel on the dash if I think I need a better speedo readout.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7802922
Very good point (y)

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I haven't seen any chat about Tesla's not enjoying a central display, so maybe it's not warranted?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
I think it is in located just below the ignition key, covered by a pop off blanking plate.
Sorry I presume you meant OBD11 port, that's what I was referring to above

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

It should be possible to place an own display there. Either as a replacement for the original display or an additional display. An additional display with just spped speed information would be easy. Either with a GPS fitted, or by readout of the obd interface.

One of the Ineos Partners/Agents/Deals in Germany told me last week that they are developing on a solution. It would however not be a cheap solution. Let‘s wait and see.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
I wonder if any upgrades Ineos sees fit will be incrementally instituted or next model year updates only.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if any upgrades Ineos sees fit will be incrementally instituted or next model year updates only.
I think there will be "modifications" but minor. But I personally can't see what they can upgrade. I think it will be more a case of aftermarket modifications. Or, if there is a software glitch. But unlike the Defender (new) there should be no reason to do this. All that said i could be completely wrong :oops: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom