The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Speedo and Driver Display Modification Ideas

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
We have a Tesla model 3. I the display is fine for speed reading. The issues I have with it are that almost all of your controls are located on the touch screen, fog lights climate, wipers etc. This is annoying, especially when there’s a software update and everything moves to a new screen or location so you have to learn it all again…
It really is like driving a MacBook. I think the grenadier screen will be fine. A simple HUD would be a nice addition though.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
Well I haven't seen any chat about Tesla's not enjoying a central display, so maybe it's not warranted?
They're too concerned with the steering wheel/yoke falling apart or just coming off to look at the central display.....

I do think that we petition INEOS Automotive to perform a software update making the speed display font bigger when in 'on-road' mode and getting rid of some of the unnecessary data clutter that will be undoubtably displayed.

Quick software update anybody..........

Personally I'd drive the vehicle a bit before all of this to see if its a real issue or a 'we're tired of waiting so let's obsess over another thing' issue.

No offense intended@emax.

I love the idea of 3d printing something to place above the little instrument cluster assuming that there's a clear view.

I'm also eyeing up the A pillars to see if there's some sort of ram mount (they seem to pretty much be the benchmark in the USA) that I can put there from one side to the other....

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:38 PM
Reaction score
No offense intended@emax.
No problem at all. You're right. It is currently pure speculation. But I couldn't hold back the idea, and I was curious how many would come up with suggestions.

For me, it's fun to think about such DIY projects. And sometimes, after a while, something useful comes out of it.

But as you have written: I do as well first want to have and drive the car to see how the existing display feels. It wouldn't make sense to develop a solution for a problem which doesn't exist.

Collecting ideas and and opinions is still fun, I think.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
As to the A-pillars: the mounts for the passenger grip on the pillar do very likely as well exist on the driver side as there are LHD and RHD versions. I don't think that Ineos produces different pillars for one or the other kind of car.

If the mounting points exist on the driver side they would be pefect to attach a RAM mount.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Bump now that we have actual trucks in members' possession!

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It would be great to have a HUD featuring analog RPM and MPH. There are digital displays available but I've yet to find any offering an analog format.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I must admit, glancing at the revs whilst driving makes gauging the actual revs impossible to do with any sense of accuracy. I'd like numbers.

Local time
11:38 PM
Reaction score
As to the A-pillars: the mounts for the passenger grip on the pillar do very likely as well exist on the driver side as there are LHD and RHD versions. I don't think that Ineos produces different pillars for one or the other kind of car.

If the mounting points exist on the driver side they would be pefect to attach a RAM mount.
I was looking at this before for a Volvo but I ran in to the problem that there is a Airbag in the pillar so nothing was allowed to be attached or go over it.
Does the Grenadier have side/curtain airbags?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes and they protude into the A-pillars. But there are mounting points with threads on both sides, driver and passenger, where the original grab handle from INEOS can be mounted.

CurtainAirbagsLeftRight.jpg

LHD_A_pillar_driver.JPG

LHD_A_pillar_passenger.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

Local time
11:38 PM
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not guilty m'Lord.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well I haven't seen any chat about Tesla's not enjoying a central display, so maybe it's not warranted?
As someone currently driving a Tesla, i can confirm it's not really a huge deal breaker. To me, the difference is that i have to look to the side instead of down in a normal car. I did miss the heads up display in my previous car, but the repositioning of the speedo did not bother me much.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
You'll quickly get used to it. Vertically it's the same line of sight like for driving. It's only a minor change of the horizontal angle, you have the speed more or less always in your field of vision. IMO it's less distracting than looking downwards at the speedometer, which is also darker than outside so your eyes have to adapt twice within a second or two.

typo,wording

Last edited:

PetrK

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello,
When the HUD is supplemented with a speedometer, it could be possible to turn off the large display completely. Personally, I am bothered by the too high intensity of both chapels when driving. And the impossibility of automatic brightness reduction during night/day lighting. Only one brightness setting is insufficient. The outside temperature is very important before the steering wheel. It's tiring to constantly look to the side. Also the rear camera display size is funny. the resolution of the central screen is perfect. So why is the reversing camera not over the full screen area? The rear camera would be better placed in the axis of the towing device.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
When the HUD is supplemented with a speedometer, it could be possible to turn off the large display completely. Personally, I am bothered by the too high intensity of both chapels when driving. And the impossibility of automatic brightness reduction during night/day lighting. Only one brightness setting is insufficient. The outside temperature is very important before the steering wheel. It's tiring to constantly look to the side. Also the rear camera display size is funny. the resolution of the central screen is perfect. So why is the reversing camera not over the full screen area? The rear camera would be better placed in the axis of the towing device.
Most have mentioned the rear camera display as inadequate and by now IA should be full aware that this is lacking and should be rectified. As to the display, not many have said this, but many warnings are there so not viewing this could potentially be dangerous

Back
Top Bottom