The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side step | available aftersale option

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:10 AM
Reaction score
When I was installing them, i loosely bolted the the front end, went to the rear and it looked like this View attachment 7838332
The holes didn’t line up. But if you wrestle with the bolts and nuts, it will line up.
I got the passenger side on with some wrestling but the driver side sucks. Cant get the bolts in!

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Somebody help. This is really frustrating. I threaded the front just enough to stay in (as loose as possible) and went to align the holes in the rear and I can not get the bolts through. If I get the bolts through in the back, I can't get the front ones in. I tried threading the front tighter to see if the holes would get closer in the rear but it just gets worse. someone help please?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ratchet strap, buddies and beer? Wish I was closer
The brackets of the sidesteps are sitting too close together relative to the holes in the body frame underneath.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:10 PM
Reaction score
The brackets of the sidesteps are sitting too close together relative to the holes in the body frame underneath.
Was hoping maybe u could get one side secure to its mounting bracket, hook a ratchet strap to the other side and find something suitable on the frame and try and ratchet it to pull it apart a bit to align the holes... alternatively maybe a bottle jack and a suitable length of wood to spread the mounting brackets apart a bit, either option might be a bit treacherous, that's why buddies and beer required. At least 3 people, one to come up with the idea, one to say that ain't gonna work and one to say hold my beer and watch this. Preferably buddy three has a torch and a welder handy.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
Somebody help. This is really frustrating. I threaded the front just enough to stay in (as loose as possible) and went to align the holes in the rear and I can not get the bolts through. If I get the bolts through in the back, I can't get the front ones in. I tried threading the front tighter to see if the holes would get closer in the rear but it just gets worse. someone help please?
How about extending the bolt holes one end of the steps?

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had the front bolts as loose as possible, the rear bolts I dropped in from the top of the outrigger holes and was able to angle them enough inward to get just enough of the end on the bolt through the hole on the step to get the nut on. Then I socket wrenched the nuts on from the bottom and it lined up and tightened. It was not easy and I taught my kids some new words that day…

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Holy crap was that an ordeal. Got it on finally sheesh the swearwords that came out of my mouth were like military grade.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@SandyChamois any advice?

@Chadd7 See posts 185 and 189 this thread also, yours looking worse or better than this as far as not lining up?
the misalignment was worse than the photos there. I used a 2x4 and a hammer to bang the brackets outward a bit. had to do it twice because the first time wasn't enough. really thick steel. Even then, I was only able to get the bolts at a really steep angle and screwed them in at the risk of damaging the thread, but didn't care at that point. Got just enough through to the other side to get the nuts on and then tightened with my torque wrench. Glad it worked out though. I'm sore and my hands feel numb. But I'm remedying with a Dogfish 60.

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
the misalignment was worse than the photos there. I used a 2x4 and a hammer to bang the brackets outward a bit. had to do it twice because the first time wasn't enough. really thick steel. Even then, I was only able to get the bolts at a really steep angle and screwed them in at the risk of damaging the thread, but didn't care at that point. Got just enough through to the other side to get the nuts on and then tightened with my torque wrench. Glad it worked out though. I'm sore and my hands feel numb. But I'm remedying with a Dogfish 60.
Nice work! Now time for a cold one, or three…

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is there an Urban rep member? It might be for the common good to clue them in that there are tolerance issues.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:10 PM
Reaction score
BFH and a block wood, the best last resort tools before throwing it in the garbage or getting the cutting torch out. Nice job!

Last edited:

Mjolnirs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I picked up my Grenny today. I had ordered the factory side runners, but they were not installed and I was told the dealer is waiting for shipments. So now I am open to considering after market. I don’t need the slider protection, just the step. I really think this Urban $799 option (no shipping cost) makes a lot of sense for my need. BTW the back door table in my configurator wasn’t available yet either. Regarding hand-off, it was smooth, with nice folks in Housto

I ordered the Urban Black shadow side steps- single tube. $799 free shipping from their distributor in Tennessee. Will be here next week.
Hi Drausch, these Black Shadow side steps look great,can you tell me how I can order these. Many thanks.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Drausch, these Black Shadow side steps look great,can you tell me how I can order these. Many thanks.
YES - another Jersey guy!

Where are you located? There are a handful of us throughout the state!

Please introduce yourself HERE!

Back
Top Bottom