The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof rack from Leitner Designs coming soon

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
That bolt in the recess of the mounting bracket has no purpose, at this time. Could mount side lights or an awning, perhaps, or shovel mount brackets. It's available!

BTW, I originally thought that the side support brackets in discussion were mounted to the four 'grab bars'. Not really the case. The eight brackets are bolted directly to the vehicles threaded holes, and then the brackets support the stock tubes. The rack's weight is NOT on those tubes at all. Genius idea, for extra connectivity and better load management. You really can't tell by looking at pictures, but it is apparent when installing.
Hi Jeffrey, Thanks for the clarification and future use of that extra screw.
How many cross bars came with your rack?
DaBull

MarkIGTM

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
Hi MarkIGTM, I drove to Corona last week to Leitner designs and met with Bernard to view the brackets in person.

Although I saw the extra screw, I forgot to ask Bernard what function it provides. Knowing Bernard, I cannot imagine it is just for cosmetic purposes. I will ponder that is has something to do with tightening or holding the bracket in place in addition to the other two screws that attach to the Ineos brackets holding the aluminum roof tubes or perhaps is there to allow the attachment of other accessories like a light. When anyone finds out, please post.

The brackets are made out of solid billet aluminum and each is CNC machined and then power coated black. In my opinion, incredibly over engineered and I mean that in a great way.

Per Bernard, the top of the brackets set level with or are not more than 1/4" above the 4 plastic roof strips on the Grenadier roof depending where you measure them along the roof line. This provides the basis of the overall low profile design of his rack. His rack per his website diagram, is 2" tall, thereby giving a total height with brackets of not more than 2 1/4" over and above the 4 roof strips.

The perimeter frame fo the rack is designed with a wiring chase that runs along and inside the perimeter frame to help keep wiring and even connectors tidy and out of the elements. The aluminum cross bars are stout with T-Slots and have a profile of 1 1/8" thick by 4" wide. I like that you can easily remove, add or adjust any of the cross load bars without taking the rack apart.

I could not be more impressed with the overall design and the incredible build quality.

It's got DaBull's stamp of approval and I am ordering one.

I also saw his prototype lighting for the front of the Grenadier, which is something I will be ordering too.

His storage boxes are a very innovative design that provides easy side access with a spring flip up door and has keyed locks. The storage box locks onto the rack from the inside to help prevent theft. You can stack 100 pounds of extra gear on top of each storage box.
DaBull
Hi DaBull. Thank you for the additional details and your first-hand impression, much appreciated. I've emailed Leitner to enquire about shipping to Australia. One last question. I can find a weight of 60Lbs for the tray but is there a quoted total weight including the mounting brackets anywhere?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi DaBull. Thank you for the additional details and your first-hand impression, much appreciated. I've emailed Leitner to enquire about shipping to Australia. One last question. I can find a weight of 60Lbs for the tray but is there a quoted total weight including the mounting brackets anywhere?
HI MarkIGTM, I am not sure how much extra weight the brackets might weigh. I would recommend reaching out to Bernand at Leitner or catch someone in the sales department to have Bernard weigh them. At least they are made out of aluminum and there are 8 brackets. DaBull

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Jeffrey, Thanks for the clarification and future use of that extra screw.
How many cross bars came with your rack?
DaBull
Other than the perimeter of the rack frame itself, there are 5 enclosed moveable crossbars. The open gap between each is 8".

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Other than the perimeter of the rack frame itself, there are 5 enclosed moveable crossbars. The open gap between each is 8".
Thanks Jeffrey. I'm just down the coast from you in Silver Strand Beach off the coast of Oxnard. DaBull

MACS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
I wish the Leitner roofrack would be available in Europe/Germany.
Any info on that?

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
Picked up & assembled/installed my Leitner rack this past Tuesday... from the perspective of someone who also owns a Defender w/ a Frontrunner Slimline II, the Leitner rack is FAR superior. Absolutely solid as a rock, low profile, no wind noise. The power coating is exceptional. It was very easy to install and the build quality is second to none.

The Leitner guys are awesome... Bernhard is currently prototyping some front/rear exterior lighting that I will definitely be ordering.
View attachment 7844285
Did you notice any significant wind noise after installing these?
These seem to clear my garage, thus considering it.

The wind noise on the light bar I have on the LR3 is driving me nuts.

JGM

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
How soon did the rack ship from when you placed the order? Just curious on lead times if it’s actually 4 weeks (as shown on their site) or if it’s faster than that.
It took less than a week.

JGM

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
The total weight for a 3/4 rack, including all hardware, is around 85lbs.

JGM

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Roof rack installed, minus the crossbars, which I will put on tomorrow. The IG is already covered in pollen, and it's still February. The assembly and install took me significantly more time than the time quoted in the manual (1-2 hours).

PXL_20240218_214515466.jpgPXL_20240218_214537734.jpgPXL_20240218_214548956.jpgPXL_20240218_214607883.jpg

FrankeMatt

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'll second everyone's raving about this rack. I have had mine installed for over a week and have been able to fabricate my own max trax brackets as well as a rear work light. Also, because the rails are adjustable, all of my Front Runner accessories mount up to the rail slots making this rack universal to any after market brand. Its genius. Hats off to Bernard and his team.

silvester3

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone considered buying the additional load bars for this roof rack to make a solid platform ?
If so, how many additional would need to be purchased ?
Thanks !

FrankeMatt

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone considered buying the additional load bars for this roof rack to make a solid platform ?
If so, how many additional would need to be purchased ?
Thanks !
I have considered buying one or two more. I dont think I would make it completely solid though. Im going to configure my FR Wolf Packs up there next week and I will know then, if I will need one or more to bridge a gap.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
I wish the Leitner roofrack would be available in Europe/Germany.
Any info on that?
For once you guys are in the position we've been
I have considered buying one or two more. I dont think I would make it completely solid though. Im going to configure my FR Wolf Packs up there next week and I will know then, if I will need one or more to bridge a gap.
Please post when done - I'm debating a few of those as well.

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Hardest part was waiting for a helping hand to lift the rack onto the roof. I had to fight the urge to want to just do it on my own. Had the rack and brackets put together in about an hour an a half. Then I waited for some tall muscle to help lift in on. Once up took another 20 minutes to button everything up.
IMG_7757.jpeg

FrankeMatt

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For once you guys are in the position we've been

Please post when done - I'm debating a few of those as well.
I have the older style Wolf Packs so I was able to use Leitner's T-Bolt and Traklok hardware as a direct replacement for the Front Runner mounts. They are even the same thread pitch for both companies. The Wolf Packs fit better on this rack, because of the adjustability, better than they ever fit on my Front Runner racks. I continue to be impressed.
The jerry can and water tank are just mocked up at this point so all of the hardware is not in place.
For the work light, I had an extra Rigid scene light left over from a different build so I just made an aluminum bracket and used the Traklok hardware to mount it in the bottom track. I wired it over to the rear roof outlet.
As a note, in case anyone is wondering, 3 of the 4 roof outlets are wired to EXT3. Thats both driver outlets and the rear passenger. The front passenger is wired to switch EXT2.
I will probably order one more load bar to bridge a gap in the front where I could add more Wolf Packs or a set of Cub Packs

IMG_1459.JPGIMG_1460.JPGIMG_1461.JPGIMG_1462.JPG

Back
Top Bottom