The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Organizing a trip to Big Bend National Park

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
I'm trying to organize a 4-day overlanding trip to Big Bend National Park for some time this October. For those who have been, what areas would you recommend? Who wants to go?

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We might be up for that. Not sure timing but sounds like fun!

Shroomy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I absolutely love Big Bend National and State parks, and have been several times over the years to do some Astro photography. Black Gap Trail is actually a Jeep Badge of Honor which is pretty cool. River Roads East and West ,as well as Glen Springs Road are others I would suggest in the National Park. BB state park is a different beast which requires bringing extra fuel as gas stations are pretty far away. Long story short I am down but would suggest not going the week of Chili cook off (early Nov. usually) as there are to many people around the Terlingua area. 2019 Milkyway at Twisted Shoe with Rig JPG.jpg

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
We did Big Bend NP January of 2021. Definitely an awesome trip. We spent 3 nights in the park, and while I wouldn't classify it as a whirlwind trip, you could definitely add another day in there; especially if you head over to adjacent Big Bend Ranch State Park.

A quick recap of our trip (and excuse the non-Grenadier vehicles):
--We started day 1 just outside Austin, and entered the park from Rt118 in Terlingua and pretty much straight to set up camp. The first night we camped in Grapevine Hills
1708459888189.png
--The next morning, sunrise hike to balanced rock, Panther Junction, Chisos Basin, Sotol Vista, Mule Ears, Tuff Canyon, Santa Elena, and camped at Cottonwood Campground
1708459948450.png
--"Day 3" was an early start to go West to East across River Rd, Black Gap Rd, Mariscal Mine, Glenn Spring Rd, Boquillas Canyon, and then finally up Old Ore Rd. to Ernst Tinaja and to camp at Telephone Canyon
1708460402547.png
--The following morning we completed Old Ore down to the Fossil Discovery exhibit, and then out of the park on 385 off to Las Cruces

I don't think there was anything that I would advise as "not worthwhile" to see or do in the park honestly. There was construction on the road to Chisos Basin, which meant alternating one way traffic (I think ~30 minutes of traffic allowed in each direction at a time), which definitely slowed us down, but luckily being the middle of January it wasn't too busy. The non-paved stretches were desolate. The entirety of our off pavement time we were passed by 1 CBP agent and saw maybe 2 or 3 vehicles. Nothing was super technical, only a few sections required 4WD, but it was a gorgeous drive. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

If you have the time, see it all, and I say that as a person who has hit every NP in the lower 48 over the past 6 years.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Definitely must-visit places listed here!

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Big Bend State Park has some excellent 4 wheel drive roads. The NP has more spectacular scenery, and it is possible to do both parks in 3-4 days if you are mainly driving rather than hiking. In the NP the short hike to the hot springs along the Rio Grande is fun. And bring your passport so you can cross the Rio Grande to the small village of Boqilla. There is actually a customs checkpoint and you can pay a small fee to be rowed across the river, then another small fee to rent a donkey to take you to town(or walk, it is only about a mile). Then have a cerveza or margarita at one of the restaurants. October is bow season and I hunt mule deer at my place near Sanderson, a couple hours from the entrance to the NP. I can definitely join the Grenadier group at one or both parks!

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
I’m intrigued, for sure.
We’d bring the airstream to act as base camp for us, but would certainly meet up with y’all if your plans are to move around to different camp sites each day.

(This is also assuming we’ll have our Grenadier by October 😂😂)

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Airstream is the bomb! We got to stay in one twice at the KOA in Bar Harbor, ME.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Big Bend State Park has some excellent 4 wheel drive roads. The NP has more spectacular scenery, and it is possible to do both parks in 3-4 days if you are mainly driving rather than hiking. In the NP the short hike to the hot springs along the Rio Grande is fun. And bring your passport so you can cross the Rio Grande to the small village of Boqilla. There is actually a customs checkpoint and you can pay a small fee to be rowed across the river, then another small fee to rent a donkey to take you to town(or walk, it is only about a mile). Then have a cerveza or margarita at one of the restaurants. October is bow season and I hunt mule deer at my place near Sanderson, a couple hours from the entrance to the NP. I can definitely join the Grenadier group at one or both parks!
Is this still a possibility? I heard they had closed the Boquillas pass, if it is open its a load of fun.

Last edited:

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm trying to organize a 4-day overlanding trip to Big Bend National Park for some time this October. For those who have been, what areas would you recommend? Who wants to go?
It's a ways off, but actually February is the best time to go. Like right now.

Shroomy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We did Big Bend NP January of 2021. Definitely an awesome trip. We spent 3 nights in the park, and while I wouldn't classify it as a whirlwind trip, you could definitely add another day in there; especially if you head over to adjacent Big Bend Ranch State Park.

A quick recap of our trip (and excuse the non-Grenadier vehicles):
--We started day 1 just outside Austin, and entered the park from Rt118 in Terlingua and pretty much straight to set up camp. The first night we camped in Grapevine Hills
View attachment 7844817
--The next morning, sunrise hike to balanced rock, Panther Junction, Chisos Basin, Sotol Vista, Mule Ears, Tuff Canyon, Santa Elena, and camped at Cottonwood Campground
View attachment 7844818
--"Day 3" was an early start to go West to East across River Rd, Black Gap Rd, Mariscal Mine, Glenn Spring Rd, Boquillas Canyon, and then finally up Old Ore Rd. to Ernst Tinaja and to camp at Telephone Canyon
View attachment 7844822
--The following morning we completed Old Ore down to the Fossil Discovery exhibit, and then out of the park on 385 off to Las Cruces

I don't think there was anything that I would advise as "not worthwhile" to see or do in the park honestly. There was construction on the road to Chisos Basin, which meant alternating one way traffic (I think ~30 minutes of traffic allowed in each direction at a time), which definitely slowed us down, but luckily being the middle of January it wasn't too busy. The non-paved stretches were desolate. The entirety of our off pavement time we were passed by 1 CBP agent and saw maybe 2 or 3 vehicles. Nothing was super technical, only a few sections required 4WD, but it was a gorgeous drive. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

If you have the time, see it all, and I say that as a person who has hit every NP in the lower 48 over the past 6 years.
LOL okay now that you posted a picture of Balanced Rock, I will too.
I just didn't want it to look like a I was taking a picture of my junk with the Milky way . :ROFLMAO:
IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

Back
Top Bottom