The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

EU road trip + visit to BlackSheep

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
And off we go!

The car is dirty before we even left. Need to find a car wash in the route!

Lessons learned so far: loading cargo is a bit tricky. In order to utilize the space you need to go vertical, but then you run into issues as everything is stacked on top of each other.
Some sort of modular system where you could build horizontal and vertical spaces would be an awesome after market product. !IMG_0270.jpegIMG_0271.jpeg

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After the mandatory “stau” at the A1 causing a stand still for 1hr30min we finally arrived to Hamburg. Total trip 10hrs, but with many stops and a ferry included.

Car and baby both behaved exemplary!

Cheers everyone.

IMG_0276.jpegIMG_0277.jpegIMG_0299.jpeg

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_0320.jpegIMG_0323.jpeg

we left Hamburg and the kleine Alster behind today, and after more Stau traffic in the Ruhrgebiet we arrived to Maastricht. Started to feel some discomfort in my right leg today. Not sure if connected with the driving position or not. I can usually drive 15hrs non-stop without any issue. Will monitor and see if was just a bad day or what.

PS. I got more compliments for the Grenadier than the guy behind me in his Porsche 😆.. not that it matters 😈..

IMG_0328.jpeg

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Busy days continues. Left Maastricht this morning and headed through Belgium and into France. Lunch stop in Reims with mandatory gourmet lunch, visit to the Notre-Dame de Reims and of course a well sorted champagne shop!

Car still doing very well. Leg feels fine today.

One thing I noted today as the drive got a bit later than the other days is that the “half-light” (direct translation from Swedish as I don’t know the English term) is quite short. When driving in France where there is almost no illuminated roads, even the 130km/h ones the half light does come up quite short and made the driving quite anxious at times.

I’ve gotten used to the “matrix led” on my Audi and boy do they make a big difference.

Is there anything legal-ish that can be done to improve the range (i.e. distance) of the “half-lights”?

IMG_0382.jpegIMG_0387.jpegIMG_0384.jpegIMG_0359.jpeg

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After layovers in Blois and Biarritz we finally arrived to Madrid on Thursday.

The car went to the shop on Friday morning 8AM. The change was supposed to take 1hr + 2hrs curing, but the guys in the shop told me 3hrs to change and 4hrs to cure. After a slight delay the windshield was changed. Hurray!!

The price was a hefty 1600 EUR to change. Not sure if that is reasonable or if they screwed me because I had no leverage. Will try to claim on my insurance when I get back to Sweden.

Anyways, after the change we left the city for more appropriate Grenadier environments: the Gredos mountains. This will be our home the coming days. IMG_0475.jpegIMG_0476.jpegIMG_0482.jpegIMG_0479.jpegIMG_0481.jpeg

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Long time no update. So here comes one. First the geographical stuff, prepare for a long list as we have been busy ! 😆

After the trip to the Gredos mountains we had some days to spend before needing to be in Portugal. We decided to go hunt for the sun, which meant heading south. This endeavor would end up being fruitless since a storm blew in over the Iberian peninsula spoiling those plans. Anyways, we went;

Gredos -> Cordoba -> Ronda -> Estepona/Marbella.

We stayed a few days to check out the area as some family members are considering moving there. Not my cup of tea to be honest, the latter part that is. Cordoba was nice !

We then continued along the coast down to Tarifa. No time to take the speedboats to Morocco but we had some very nice tuna 👍🏻.

Trip continued to Barbate -> Vejer -> Cadiz.

This is when we were hoping for sun, and the plan was to continue into Portugal and stay at the Algarve for a few days. But considering the weather we decided to head straight for Cascais, PT and stay with some family. This ended up being our longest stay of the trip (3 nights).

Our next appointment was due. We left for Estremoz to visit a friends Winery, and then south again to join a local hunting team. Red deer and wild boar for two days.

After this we had nothing scheduled until our visit at Black Sheep on Feb 29. We decided to head “back”, which meant towards France. After a days driving we ended up in Salamanca which was a pleasant surprise. We did zero research expect it was located on our route and fit with our 6hrs/day driving limit. A UNESCO world heritage site, and lots of quality Jamon. I do recommend a visit ! At night it’s especially beautiful.

Next day, next drive. We continued on route, with same logic which took us to San Sebastián. A walk around town and some very nice Pintxos. The town was a bit disappointing esthetically to be honest, but with quality food I can be very forgiving 🫣.

Time for our next decision; which way to take into Switzerland? We ended up going for Côte d’Azur - Piedmote- Milano and upwards. We are currently in Côte d’Azur just west of Cannes. Tomorrow we we’ll head for Monaco with short stops in Antibes and Nice. The Italian part we will figure out as we go ! 🫣

So, onto the car.. which is why we are here. If anyone of you managed to get through my diary above 😄.

I fixed the windshield in Madrid as mentioned. And the new one lasted all of ONE day !!! A bloody construction truck with open bed at the back cut me off on a highway (doing 120km/h) hit a bump and something jumped off his truck and hit my windshield. Cracked. Again !!

Luckily the crack was now more “strategically located”. Dry high in the passenger side so I don’t even see it when driving. I managed to get to Cascais without it growing further and I went to a car repair shop who put some stuff onto/into it. No idea what. Now it can barely be seen, and hasn’t grown since. 50 EUR fix vs 1600 EUR fix 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Key takeaway; the windshield will crack. Often. Just the way it is. I was recommended to put some film of sorts on it to prevent cracks in the future. On the whole screen that is. Will follow up with them and post specifically what they recommend.

Otherwise no major issues with the car. Got a call error again, but it went away after 10 seconds.

Also as the car gets heavier with every winery visit, i decided to increase the tyre pressure to 3.0 Bar. Later when I refueled I noticed that the recommendation I was going for was for 17” wheels, and I have the 18” so it actually says between 3.0-3.4 if I read it correctly. The tyres look less compressed now, so I’m happy. Haven’t noticed any difference on the ride.

Another learning; the front of the car, including the windshield, looks like a James Pollock painting after a few hours driving on the highways. The amount of bugs I am now responsible for killing makes my question if I’ll get through the pearly gates at all.
It seriously became hard to see through at one point ! Quite gross. The car is in desperate need of a deep clean now. Will try to manage that before the Blacksheep visit.

Speaking of which, I also managed to get in contact with Thomas at Black Sheep again and I have some more updates. My emails fell between chairs. He apologized. All good !

For one I was given their new product catalogue but there were some error in the prices so he asked me not to share it. He said he would send me a new one without prices and that one I was free to share so will do!

I have decided to steal the idea that I was somewhere in this forum, so I have asked Black Sheel to install two 12V sockets connected to Int 1 and Int 2, connected via DTP plugs so they can be replaced easily if I decide to do something else with the switches in the future.

I will also (most likely) pick up some other minor stuff that they have in stock. Brackets and such. More on that later.

I decided not to go for their Air compressor. It’s very nice but it protrudes 5cm which is too much for me. I use the smaller door quite often to shove in bags and stuff, don’t want them getting caught on the compressor.

So, long post ! Will end with a few pics of the car. It still looks the same though, will be more interesting next week 👍🏻

All the best !

IMG_0499.jpegIMG_0501.jpegIMG_0665.jpegIMG_0700.jpegIMG_0701.jpegIMG_0702.jpegIMG_0795.jpegIMG_0975.jpeg

Last edited:

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
Swedish American here (grew up in Sweden but lived longer in the US than in Sweden).
Halv ljus is what I think you mean with half light.
That is half beam in American English. Full beam for hel ljus.
Head lights is the forward light that can be set to either half beam or full beam.

Reactions: PBD

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Swedish American here (grew up in Sweden but lived longer in the US than in Sweden).
Halv ljus is what I think you mean with half light.
That is half beam in American English. Full beam for hel ljus.
Head lights is the forward light that can be set to either half beam or full beam.

Correct. The half beam is not very strong, and the light pattern is placed quite close in front of the car. Resulting in quite nervous driving on unlit highways.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Check them for adjustments? You can't do much about light intensity but you should be able to check that that they are aimed right. A dark flat place with a wall, some masking tape is all you need. A tape measure and a towel makes it easier.

Drive the car close to the wall, like 1m (3-5ft) close. Put a bit of tape as a cross where the top from each light in low beam (half beam) shines. Back up until you're 8-10m (25ft) from the wall. Make sure that the aim of the light is in the same location on the tape as before. If not adjust them until they are. You may need to do some side to side adjustment, you want the beams to be perfectly on the crosses you taped up. I usually cover one beam with a towel and do one at a time.

I usually have the right beam slightly higher than the left beam to get some more illumination on signs and markers on the right of the vehicle.

Takes no time to go. I don't know how accessible the adjusters are on the gren but I've done this on my vehicles many times when they have been too low. Makes a big difference. Usually when I buy some aftermarket light is when it's the most needed.

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After a few days exploring the Piedmont wine region (Alba, Barbaresco, Barolo) and southern Switzerland (Lugano, Lucern, Zug) the day is finally here. In 1hr I will go to Black Sheep to fit the roof rack, Molle panels and perhaps a few more things !

Will keep you posted.

Any questions you have for Black Sheep, now’s the time to ask 👍🏻.

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After a few days exploring the Piedmont wine region (Alba, Barbaresco, Barolo) and southern Switzerland (Lugano, Lucern, Zug) the day is finally here. In 1hr I will go to Black Sheep to fit the roof rack, Molle panels and perhaps a few more things !

Will keep you posted.

Any questions you have for Black Sheep, now’s the time to ask 👍🏻.
Hi Marcus,
could you pls ask if the Black Sheep winch cover already has a general operating license for the EU? Thank you in advance

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So Black Sheep is setting up a warehouse in Nevada. They have shipped a demo car there last week and are shipping over bulky stuff now (roof bars, rock sliders). They will be at the Overland expo in April (I think).

In Australia they have found a local parter to build the stuff there.

They are growing the company as fast as they can, but struggle to keep up with high demand.

The winch cover should work for EU, and AU (but not really needed). The US has a different bumper so will most likely not work there. If there is a demand perhaps they could develop something but they are not working on it right now.

Prices for underseat storage box should be on their website now.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Where in Nevada, Reno or Vegas? I may drop by when it's time to outfit my truck

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s what we managed in one day;

ARB twin compressor mounted in rear wheel box. Connects to NATO socket when in use.

12V sockets “tucked away” at driver and passenger side connected to Int 1 and Int 2.

Molle panels XL exterior, and Molle panels interior. Two fuel canisters.

3 pcs roof panel.

I also got some extra brackets and stuff which I will share later on.

IMG_1250.jpegIMG_1252.jpegIMG_1251.jpegIMG_1257.jpegIMG_1253.jpegIMG_1255.jpegIMG_1256.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom