The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Europe My car has made it to Switzerland!!!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
I am amazed that nearly every customer seems to have opted for the rear door mounted ladder. Am I the only one who decided to give it a miss? I very deliberately did NOT want a ladder because around here if I parked in the surf club car park with a roof ladder, guaranteed there would be kids climbing up there just because they could.
Swiss children are better educated. They get Toblerone as a reward.:ROFLMAO:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:11 AM
Reaction score
I am amazed that nearly every customer seems to have opted for the rear door mounted ladder. Am I the only one who decided to give it a miss? I very deliberately did NOT want a ladder because around here if I parked in the surf club car park with a roof ladder, guaranteed there would be kids climbing up there just because they could.
You should move to Tasmania; none of that malarkey here!
Or wrap some barbed wire around the upper rungs...

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Swiss children are better educated. They get Toblerone as a reward.:ROFLMAO:
Seriously. I assume they wanted a Station with locks etc. That leaves only the Belstaff option if you want space on the back seat.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes that might happen, although at least you know the roof can take it unless there is a whole crowd up there. But I am getting too old to clamber on wheels holding onto the rack with one hand while tying something down with the other hand or trying to climb up
By standing on the spare wheel. The ladder will
Be awesome

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You are not the only one. My thoughts were similar. Besides, I don't need the roof for anything other than keeping me dry and warm inside ;). But we are clearly in the minority. If you ever need it later, this can be mounted quickly.

Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
If it’s any help… I also didn’t understand your observation, not clear on the considerations from an automotive engineering point of view (this not being my field).

From an engineering perspective, you'd put the unit where it belongs, in the electrics compartment and you'd keep the wiring as short as possible. On modern vehicles, you'd often see a setup, where additional control units are sitting right atop one of the batteries. A good spot. Where it sits now, that was probably the only sensible place in the vehicle above wading depth, that could accommodate the rig, after the principle layout of the electrics had been already decided upon. Heat is another issue, the area is not well ventilated, if at all, plus, heat is being emitted from whatever sits underneath (gearbox..?)

Also, you might want to see the control led´s, to check for proper operation, how does that work ?

On another note, the + connectors ought to be isolated and shrink tube being used at the ends (the red bits.?). Normally, you do not see any surplus cables tied up on a new vehicle, but the wiring is routed, protected and secured properly...none of all that here.

Speaking of which: the owners wishing to keep the IG forever might want to look at sealing all the resident electric connectors with wax. Why ? After about 15-20. years of operation, you'll find electrical faults appearing, without any apparent reason. On French built vehicles after just 8 or 10 years, traditionally. The phenomena is caused by oxidation on the positive and corrosion on the negative. Everyone who has worked on vintage cars will be familiar with it (swap + and - on pre ´6x UK vehicles)

Porsche and Mercedes do not suffer from that syndrome, from what I know, the only two manufacturers using a silver coating on contacts. Main problem is obviously the negative circuit, not the positive, although both suffer over time.

With all due respect to the massive engineering task, the wiring of that CTEK looks more like from a model railway than a tough utility vehicle. The CTEK itself is totally unsuitable in my book for durability off-road, as mentioned before...

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From an engineering perspective, you'd put the unit where it belongs, in the electrical compartment and you'd keep the wiring as short as possible. Where it sits now, that was probably the only sensible place in the vehicle above wading depth, that could take the rig after the layout of the electrics had been already decided upon. Also, you might want to see the control led´s, to check for proper operation, how does that work ?

On another note, the + connectors ought to be isolated and shrink tube being used at the ends. Normally, you do not see any surplus cables on a new vehicle and the existing wiring is routed and secured properly...none of all that here.

With all due respect to the massive engineering task, the wiring of that CTEK looks more like from a model railway than a tough utility vehicle.

At least in the PTO2 I looked at, the CTEK was in the electrical compartment, which is the box under the rear seat, it sat right in the middle between the main battery and the auxiliary battery, and the connectors were well finished and little to no excess wiring.

Attachments

• 49A9D377-148D-43FF-9DDA-4472434ABEC1.jpeg
    49A9D377-148D-43FF-9DDA-4472434ABEC1.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 54
Local time
Reaction score
At least in the PTO2 I looked at, the CTEK was in the electrical compartment, which is the box under the rear seat, it sat right in the middle between the main battery and the auxiliary battery, and the connectors were well finished and little to no excess wiring.

That's totally different to the pic originally posted, no..? The position is way more suitable here.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's totally different to the pic originally posted, no..? The position is way more suitable here.
That’s where it’s supposed to be. That was the discussion as to whether they are supposed be factory fitted or dealer fitted, that one we can only assume was dealer fitted and so we will need to keep an eye on our dealers and the quality of their work.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also didn't opt. Only as its an easy addition later and hopefully another aftermarket one comes out. With the prototype my shoes would hit the door when standing on first rung, the ladder runs straight but the door panel has that square patch that sticks out. The rung Infront of it sticks out. But the bottom doesnt and foot wedges on the underside of the square section. Didn't fancy rubbing the paint off.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
guaranteed there would be kids climbing up there just because they could.
You could mount a 'ladder-lock', something like an aluminium plate locked on the ladder.

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You could mount a 'ladder-lock', something like an aluminium plate locked on the ladder.
Aside from not needing a ladder on the car, mine won't have one since almost all the other Grenadiers will. Also, one of my first jobs on the car will be to unscrew the lead-heavy spare tire. I don't need that either. And then the whole car is made once immediately nice and dirty. Then he looks even different than the grenadiers, which come towards me on the street. Also it will be green, then it will be less noticeable in the forest. ;)

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
I’ve ordered the ladder , however driving through towns in Morocco I’ve had kids swinging off the back of the Defender . In some places I travel I will be fixing my sand tracks to the rear door ladder

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aside from not needing a ladder on the car, mine won't have one since almost all the other Grenadiers will. Also, one of my first jobs on the car will be to unscrew the lead-heavy spare tire. I don't need that either. And then the whole car is made once immediately nice and dirty. Then he looks even different than the grenadiers, which come towards me on the street. Also it will be green, then it will be less noticeable in the forest. ;)
I assume if you don’t need a spare tyre you never intend to venture past the reach of the local auto clubs roadside service?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve ordered the ladder , however driving through towns in Morocco I’ve had kids swinging off the back of the Defender . In some places I travel I will be fixing my sand tracks to the rear door ladder
I initially thought that’s a great idea. But then how do you open the door? The handle will be behind the maxtrax!

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I assume if you don’t need a spare tyre you never intend to venture past the reach of the local auto clubs roadside service?
Right! In the next few years, he still has to pull trailers until my retirement. Then let's see if I also need a ladder and the spare wheel. Until then, it's just a nuisance.

Zacman110

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score
I think the ladder will be a fantastic frame to mount many off-road accessories such as maxtrax on the front, or UHF antennas possibly that flip up, noting there is no mount on the bullbar.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the ladder will be a fantastic frame to mount many off-road accessories such as maxtrax on the front, or UHF antennas possibly that flip up, noting there is no mount on the bullbar.
Have also thought of a custom frame mounted instead of ladder. To hold a mini gas bottle.

Back
Top Bottom