The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Europe My car has made it to Switzerland!!!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
It might be a typical installation to supply the demonstrator with energy in the show room
Could be 👍🏼. The static display cars I looked at last weekend had temporary trickle chargers fitted so could be that.

Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes seriously.. I worked for a time in Zurich.. - the building had 6 levels underground 2, some were just car park underneath
the normal storage and service area.. all thick concrete.. - Somewhere Binzmühle Strasse close to Railway station in Oerlikon.
Something like this is far from "unusual" in CH in particular were space is extremely expensive.

Meanwhile - even in here in Frankfurt they excavate a couple of levels underground at least.

The Swiss got a place in a bomb shelter for each and everyone of them. Pretty much the only country in the world. Many of these double as car parks, storages and for other installations. Every adult male with a military service, i.e. pretty much all, have their army rifle at home...amazing country...

Local time
Reaction score
It might be a typical installation to supply the demonstrator with energy in the show room

Godalmighty, I hope you are right ! It looks more like the famed dual battery control / splitter with the centre console removed..doomed to fail after 24 months of heavy off-road use, that unit..

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:34 PM
Reaction score
Perhaps just keeping batteries trickle charging whilst they wait for customer handover?
Or is the CTEK box part of the auxiliary battery system?
Could be a charger, but the smatpass isolatir for the dual battery system is Ctek

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Although I think that car was a customer car, it was the posters car thatbis at the dealers awaiting pre delivery and handover, not a showroom car.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Godalmighty, I hope you are right ! It looks more like the famed dual battery control / splitter with the centre console removed..doomed to fail after 24 months of heavy off-road use, that unit..
Why do you say that?

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Picture shows a customer car parked outside, not in the show room.
The Ctek box in the trunk belongs to the device to load / control the two batteries. I can confirm the type is Ctek Smartpass 120S. I'm not sure if installed in the factory or at the dealer and maybe empty box is there because of manual etc.

Local time
Reaction score
Why do you say that?

Cause that thing is not up to the task in a ruggedised vehicle...plus the installation looks less then confidence inspiring to me for a factory set up..more like an afterthought..

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is this your opinion or do you have proof and references on that? A quick search on this brought only one single negative comment on the 120s but unreadable to me as the comment was in Japanese.
Ineos has selected quite carefully the ingredients of Grenadier. If the Ctec was prone to fail thy wouldn’t have selected it. An you write because this is not up to ruggedised vehicles? To me it seems your personal opinion and preoccupation instead of experience. So if you have any experience, reference or other profound reason please post this here..

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cause that thing is not up to the task in a ruggedised vehicle...plus the installation looks less then confidence inspiring to me for a factory set up..more like an afterthought..
More specifically why do you say that? I had a good look in real life, it all looked pretty well bolted down to me, Ctek gear may not be the most advanced ever but its decent quality. The wiring looked to be appropriate guages. And where it is all installed, inside the cabin in the centre of the vehicle in a waterproof box, it is better protected from dust, water and vibration than your average setup. I don’t see huge issues. I would prefer, and will likely add, proper DC/DC charger with solar input but that really is for additional functionality rather than because I think the current setup is weak. I am not trying to argue with you for the sake of it, I genuinely want to better understand your position, you may well be right and I am not seeing it, but it would be helpful to me to understand in some more detail what your concerns are.

Local time
Reaction score
Is this your opinion or do you have proof and references on that? A quick search on this brought only one single negative comment on the 120s but unreadable to me as the comment was in Japanese.
Ineos has selected quite carefully the ingredients of Grenadier. If the Ctec was prone to fail thy wouldn’t have selected it. An you write because this is not up to ruggedised vehicles? To me it seems your personal opinion and preoccupation instead of experience. So if you have any experience, reference or other profound reason please post this here..

My own experience with those rigs..the pic does not look like the item was engineered into the original setup of the vehicle, it doesn't belong there, where it sits, from an automotive engineering viewpoint...However, it makes sense that it sits there when it was an was afterthought..

Lets wait and see what ends up on the road and survives the test of time..

Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
I dont know if he was posting about Ctec in general or the fact that the photo in post #58 made it look like it was installed by the dealer as an after thought.

In any case, the install and wire routing in that photo look poor IMO, especially for something expected to experience rough use. Why are none of the wires secured and why does the wire cross a hard edge with no conduit directly under the seat where it will eventually fatigue?

Local time
Reaction score
More specifically why do you say that? I had a good look in real life, it all looked pretty well bolted down to me, Ctek gear may not be the most advanced ever but its decent quality. The wiring looked to be appropriate guages. And where it is all installed, inside the cabin in the centre of the vehicle in a waterproof box, it is better protected from dust, water and vibration than your average setup. I don’t see huge issues. I would prefer, and will likely add, proper DC/DC charger with solar input but that really is for additional functionality rather than because I think the current setup is weak. I am not trying to argue with you for the sake of it, I genuinely want to better understand your position, you may well be right and I am not seeing it, but it would be helpful to me to understand in some more detail what your concerns are.

Sorry, didn't read your post to the end..hope the previous one answered that ? Often, progress comes through arguing..in a civilised way..

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I dont know if he was posting about Ctec in general or the fact that the photo in post #58 made it look like it was installed by the dealer as an after thought.

In any case, the install and wire routing in that photo look poor IMO, especially for something expected to experience rough use. Why are none of the wires secured and why does the wire cross a hard edge with no conduit directly under the seat where it will eventually fatigue?
I have to say that photo did look a bit messy and kind of confirms that it may be dealer install and so will be dealer dependent on quality. This photo was from the PTO2 that was at the Sydney 4x4 show and it is much neater and presumably installed at the factory. The one posted earlier here has a whole lot of additional wire looped and tied together. I certainly hope mine looks more like my PTO2 picture than the one in the earlier photo in this thread.

Attachments

• 68CD3E69-E88C-4451-A1EA-BCB7570F05D4.jpeg
    68CD3E69-E88C-4451-A1EA-BCB7570F05D4.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 94

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't read your post to the end..hope the previous one answered that ? A lot of progress comes through arguing imo..
If it’s any help… I also didn’t understand your observation, not clear on the considerations from an automotive engineering point of view (this not being my field).

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
If the PTO2 was wired properly, it's very unlikely they would do worse now. So I think it was the dealer who used it to connect to the charger.

Bad luck for Hedin: they didn't count us as critical observers. :cool:

Reactions: Max

Zacman110

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
82770921-666D-4F25-B393-433790D26150.jpeg

I’d be a bit disappointed if this is the final fit and finish for the carpet! This area was a bit dodgy on the PT02s as well, but apparently it was “being sorted for production” so I guess we’ll see…

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The Swiss got a place in a bomb shelter for each and everyone of them. Pretty much the only country in the world. Many of these double as car parks, storages and for other installations. Every adult male with a military service, i.e. pretty much all, have their army rifle at home...amazing country...
Sounds like an expensive prison , with no beaches!

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am amazed that nearly every customer seems to have opted for the rear door mounted ladder. Am I the only one who decided to give it a miss? I very deliberately did NOT want a ladder because around here if I parked in the surf club car park with a roof ladder, guaranteed there would be kids climbing up there just because they could.

Back
Top Bottom