The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Motor Sport Grenadier Review 2024 (UK)

2024 Ineos Grenadier review
Does the Ineos Grenadier fill the hole left by the pre-2020 Defender? After a week with the 4x4 Andrew Frankel gives his verdict

IMG_2787.jpeg

Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
The Grenadier is probably as close to an old Defender as it's possible to get in todays safety conscious society. The underpinnings are effectively the same, it looks like the vehicle Land Rover should have made.

The only real downside is the price, starting at £65,000 it will be out of reach for many old Defender owners wanting to move over to a Grenadier.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
I have yet to be in a situation where there isn't enough light for me to see the ignition if I'm looking for it. Maybe they just drive so many cars they can't keep track of where the slots are. I hold my key like this and it pops right in by feel, just like in all my other cars.
IMG_9138.jpeg

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
I have yet to be in a situation where there isn't enough light for me to see the ignition if I'm looking for it. Maybe they just drive so many cars they can't keep track of where the slots are. I hold my key like this and it pops right in by feel, just like in all my other cars.
View attachment 7841661
Exactly what I do!!

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I must admit, the longer I have had the Grenadier the less the "problems" appear as issues; I was never much bothered by the footrest, getting the key in the ignitions was muscle memory, (the LR110CSW was much the same), I can find most switches by touch, I find the headlights and wipers more than adequate and I love the feeling of solidity. My old LR110CSW was as flimsy as a biscuit tin in comparison.

Now the price still makes my blood run cold; mine was £60,500 and would be £66k if ordered now. The most I have ever spent on a new car was £20,000 in 2001, so the sticker shock was real. On the other hand, a new Land Rover Defender, Discovery 5, Land Cruiser or posh Ford pickup would be much the same.

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
My 110 costs 23.000€ in 2012. I added reasonable seats, soundproof, radio, difflocks, winch, motor upgrade with intercooler, better springs and damper, and a lot more. The price with parts and labour? A lot more than 23.000€! And the result is far away from a Grenny, with still a very bad engine.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I must admit, the longer I have had the Grenadier the less the "problems" appear as issues; I was never much bothered by the footrest, getting the key in the ignitions was muscle memory, (the LR110CSW was much the same), I can find most switches by touch, I find the headlights and wipers more than adequate and I love the feeling of solidity. My old LR110CSW was as flimsy as a biscuit tin in comparison.

Now the price still makes my blood run cold; mine was £60,500 and would be £66k if ordered now. The most I have ever spent on a new car was £20,000 in 2001, so the sticker shock was real. On the other hand, a new Land Rover Defender, Discovery 5, Land Cruiser or posh Ford pickup would be much the same.
Agree!
The LR Defender 130 is coming in >$96k in the US. Read a Wall Street Journal review this weekend. Some rather humours comments regarding the 13+inches extension beyond rear wheels - is on the same wheel base as the 110.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
Fair enough review, most negatives are all pointed out in this forum, with the exception of the air suspension which IMHO would be a considerable risk in the remote outback, certainly as the vehicle ages. Mine was predominantly purchased for heavy off blacktop towing and in Aus there is little if any out of the box that compares without spending lots of $$$ on suspension, rear axles, etc. Other than very large and more expensive U.S. right hand drive converted utes, some of which also require suspension work to tow heavy. To rectify some of the issues I have put in additional storage - dash mat, nets, seat covers with pockets and have clearly labelled the above head switches. I was considering an led for the ignition but like other owners have got used to its position. Drivers grab handle to help lift yourself in would have been nice.

Local time
Reaction score
lt took me a year to fully get used to the various switches and controls in my new Defender, so l used them without looking.

That was after 90,000 miles driving the old version.

lt's great that both versions are available. The new Defender a highway cruiser that can go off road and the Grenadier a dedicated off road vehicle that's still good on road.

So you can choose depending on where your priorities are.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
2024 Ineos Grenadier review
Does the Ineos Grenadier fill the hole left by the pre-2020 Defender? After a week with the 4x4 Andrew Frankel gives his verdict

View attachment 7841638

And the rest of the article?

Not that I’m that bothered what journalists think - after all, they are often completely wrong :)

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
My 110 costs 23.000€ in 2012. I added reasonable seats, soundproof, radio, difflocks, winch, motor upgrade with intercooler, better springs and damper, and a lot more. The price with parts and labour? A lot more than 23.000€! And the result is far away from a Grenny, with still a very bad engine.
My Defender 110 XS station-wagon was £18,500 in 2011. Spent a blooming fortune keeping it running. (And not particularly successful upgrades!) Sold it last year for £15,000. Will Maggie keep her value?

Local time
Reaction score
lt will likely keep its value a lot better than a new Defender.
And l say this as a new Defender owner.

My prediction is that your Grenadier will still be standing tall in twenty years, where my new Defender will either have been recycled into rice pudding tins or be languishing on a council estate driveway like an old Fiat Punto, with some insurmountable electrical issue.

However by that time l will probably be as dead as a Discovery 4 with a snapped crankshaft, so it wont be an issue for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom