The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What Car Review (UK)

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
The only way to build a real 4x4 with good on road manners is to use lots of fragile air and electronic components which will kill resale value. If what car seriously think the new defender will hold its value like the old one did they are deluded. Prices will fall off a cliff once the warranty expires just like they do with other JLR products. Its the simplicity of the old defender that made it hold its value so well.

Local time
Reaction score
I don't find most of this review relevant - not because they scored the IG low - but because they aren't coming at it from, what for me, is a relevant perspective. As others have said, they seem like car people, not 4x4 people.

I wanted to mention this line, however: "The Grenadier is expected to lose its value slightly faster than the Defender and much faster than the Land Cruiser. It should hold on to more of its value over three years than the Wrangler, though." Two things stood out about this line:

1. How did they arrive at this conclusion? Land Cruisers seem to hold value better than any other vehicle, but I would think that the more analogue IG would hold its value better than a vehicle with air suspension and lots of electronics. This is speculative, but I would assume that long-term ownership costs will be lower for the IG than the Defender. I suppose more goes into resale than long-term ownership costs, but I'm curious what other people think.

2. In North America, Wranglers hold their value better than most. Its typically in the top ten for all vehicles. EDIT: on some lists it is toward the bottom of the top ten, and in other lists, like the one presented in the next post (below) it is #1. Is this not true in the UK?

Last edited:

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score

tartan shepherd

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I think IA made a mistake with a full motoring press launch. It should have been more specific and insisted on journalists with some off road, working vehicle relevance . Most of the private buyers will be using its towing abilities or overlanding.

Its such a bespoke vehicle, in a very specific segment. Its a bit like sending a food critic used to Michelin star restaurants, to a gastro pub.

Andrew English appears to have written for several publications and spouted his dire ability to understand the product across all of them.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
I think IA made a mistake with a full motoring press launch. It should have been more specific and insisted on journalists with some off road, working vehicle relevance . Most of the private buyers will be using its towing abilities or overlanding.

Its such a bespoke vehicle, in a very specific segment. Its a bit like sending a food critic used to Michelin star restaurants, to a gastro pub.

Andrew English appears to have written for several publications and spouted his dire ability to understand the product across all of them.
Maybe - maybe not. A full press launch is certainly okay because to become a known brand.- Hey I am the new kid on the block and I am serious in automotive.
Indeed . it is a very segmented vehicle servicing a specific demand.
When I discuss with my friends none of them knows about Ineos - neither the petrochemical company nor Ineos Automotive.
In the community of hunters and a friend who owns a construction and planning company (they do plan for well known discounters in Europe) but also stuff like sewage and water pipes and underground powerlines / FT Networks etz.. so a lot of area where they have to go off road and in areas where excavators are in action.. So these are for sure interested in Ineos Grenadier.
Make it known generally, make it known to an offroad community, make it known to agricultural, forestry, construction,.. not all of them may use SUV, or require Pickup style or direct purchase an also quite expensive Unimog that is of course not able to go between very distant use points and probably need to be on a transporter truck

Most of the Journalists have recognised this but not all. The awareness - there is something beyond SUV has to be reestablished.

Some minutes ago I was in linkedin - I got a notice from Ineos on a quote from AutoTrader UK in linkedin.

There was a commentator only moaning and ranting on weight, CO2, fuel consumption, sustainability, CO2 on production, tax friendly emissions etc.
What a f - up. This guy seems to be in an ivory tower PHD in engineering, Theoretical Physics Applied Maths and so on..
However his writing seems to me never seen real outdoor application .. theory vs reality .. Most of his questions can be answered by a practical user and common sense.
No matter how often it is told by us and by Ineos - "no nonsense offroader" - built on purpose .. there are always whiners, guys sitting in ivory tower etc not seeing what purpose means and why it is built exactly like so.
They have to switch the filters of.. ask first for what is this vehicle built.. - what is the purpose - are there any alternatives to fulfil this purpose - they learn NO.. -
Perhaps these guys need a challenge - take this lads in places where it will get serious and ask them to use their methods to get a job done..
Stupidity and the universe is infinite.. (Not so sure abut the universe) Albert Einstein (loosely quoted)

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
2. In North America, Wranglers hold their value better than most. Its typically in the top ten for all vehicles. EDIT: on some lists it is toward the bottom of the top ten, and in other lists, like the one presented in the next post (below) it is #1. Is this not true in the UK?
Wranglers hold their money well in the UK too. I bought my JK for 18k a year old, sold it 9 years later for 15k... Id have gotten 18k if the paintwork and hardtop weren't F**K*D.

One thing you'll find though, is that UK car journalists have always had a soft spot for Land Rover products. They have a joke of a reputation over here, and are seriously regarded as 3 year vehicles (ie. until the warranty is out, or the lease is up), but They always get rave reviews by the press. Almost like a misplaced sense of patriotism, even though its an Indian company now. The new defender may hold its value better than the others due to high waiting times, and the fact its not QUITE as much of a cookie cutter design than the rest, but when those Ingenium engines start popping like corn in the microwave, things will change!

Back
Top Bottom