The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Latest developments from BLACK SHEEP

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
Considering most of the awnings I see on vehicles look like they haven't seen daylight in years, the cheaper may be the better.
Below are some pictures of Eli Creek on Fraser Island.
This is a classic location where people stop for 30 minutes to half a day or more.
A quick look and a guess I would say less than half the vehicles have awnings setup, and most of them seem to be the simple 180 units that need posts and ropes.
This is a classic example of where a free standing 270 degree awning is fantastic.
1 minute to setup and pack up means you are far more likely to use it.
It can get windy so the more robust the better.
It also allows for when the sun changes it's position.
The ones I have circled have clearly done this more than once.

View attachment 7824328
View attachment 7824329View attachment 7824330
I agree that the no pole and no rope versions are more likely to he used more often. The newer Rhino ones have the poles attached which is better so you don’t have to carry a separate pole bag, and I tend to carry a few Woolworths reusable grocery bags the fabric kind and on the beach I just scoop sand into them and attach a rope at the corners. So it’s pretty easy. But yes no poles would be ideal although in a decent wind I am sceptical how long it would actually hold up. It is a large surface area. I do use mine though. IMG_0191.jpegRIMG0124.jpegIMG_0111.jpeg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The trick is to avoid school holidays. Also to go to inland spots and West coast spots that tend to be much less crowded.
Yes , as we don't carry children any more , that strategy is definitely part of the planning!

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes , as we don't carry children any more , that strategy is definitely part of the planning!
It is a beautiful place, don’t be put off, midweek in non school holiday times and you should have a great experience

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, Tom from Clevershade here, I hope you don't mind me jumping on to answer some of the queries raised on this thread.

Thomas at BlackSheep is working on a system to integrate the mounting of our awning on his Grendadier roof racks which do indeed mount from the hand rails rather than the rain gutter. As mentioned by Michael above, Thomas is here to plan the best way to bring the products to Aus.

Also to clarify that our AUD5,000 option is for our 360 degree awning which is a bit of a special case as it's made custom each time to suit the vehicle set up its being installed to. The cost includes the awnings, bracketry, measure up, custom width rear panel and installation in our workshop.

Our best selling awning, the 4.0m 270 Ultra-Lite costs less than AUD2,000, which is probably more in line with most people's budgets and expectations! It weighs only 16kg which is great for those trying to keep weight to a minimum.

For those in the US, if you are interested in any of our gear, our importer is Basil at Basil's Garage, San Diego. Give him a call and he'll be happy to have a chat. www.basilsgarage.com

I agree that Eli Creek gets seriously crowded in peak season, there's plenty of other great places on the island that are worth exploring instead.

Happy to answer any further queries that might come up and thanks to Michael H for the kind words above!

Tom, Clevershade

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
but what is everyone actually doing when they get there - swimming or is there something interesting to see?

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
but what is everyone actually doing when they get there - swimming or is there something interesting to see?
It’s a beautiful very clear freshwater creek that flows pretty well. So yes people swim and walk up the creek into the bush and float back down the creek sometimes on tubes etc. nice place for a stop and lunch etc if it isn’t too crazy

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
back on topic (although probably needs a seperate topic) - like many I am assessing what sort of awing/shade to buy.

I use the 4x4 almost always in bush settings, typically as part of a camping/hiking expedition. The car and the awning/shade is often the "base camp".

Swing out awnings with no legs (180, 270, 360) are probably quicker to set-up with everything easily stowed away. I get the impression that they are really great when you want to stop for a few hours, (lunch) and then move on (I always seem to see photos of people using them on the beach with a beer in hand looking at the water!).

However, I wonder if an awning (esp. the 270 & 360) with multiple leg, ropes etc.is a more robust option when I want the shade to stay up for, say, a few days. In this case I am not concerned that it may take an extra 15 minutes to get it all set-up & then packed away.

Anyone have thoughts on one over the other depending on how long they want to have the awning up and the location?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
back on topic (although probably needs a seperate topic) - like many I am assessing what sort of awing/shade to buy.

I use the 4x4 almost always in bush settings, typically as part of a camping/hiking expedition. The car and the awning/shade is often the "base camp".

Swing out awnings with no legs (180, 270, 360) are probably quicker to set-up with everything easily stowed away. I get the impression that they are really great when you want to stop for a few hours, (lunch) and then move on (I always seem to see photos of people using them on the beach with a beer in hand looking at the water!).

However, I wonder if an awning (esp. the 270 & 360) with multiple leg, ropes etc.is a more robust option when I want the shade to stay up for, say, a few days. In this case I am not concerned that it may take an extra 15 minutes to get it all set-up & then packed away.

Anyone have thoughts on one over the other depending on how long they want to have the awning up and the location?
I've had the Howling Moon 2.5m 6 panel awning for years (just sold it with my camper) the build quality is fantastic and I personally wouldn't go near one without legs and guy ropes. Cheap awnings are....cheaply made and IMO not worth the money. But, there is a heavy price to pay for a well made awning, weight, mine was 38kgs.
I live in windy W.A (stands for Windy Always) so the need for sturdy awnings are a must. But I'm not going to put one on my Grenadier. I'm simply going for a 2.5m side awning, plenty of shade, half or less weight, lift off brackets so I can store it out of the harsh sun as usually the first thing to deteriorate is the cover.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that they are also developing a system to mount full size (20L) jerry cans on the sides of the Grenadier.
I had a discussion regarding this with the relevant authority, maximum allowed protrusion from the body is 150mm. Jerrys are 180mm plus the bracket. Not much in it IMO but if push come to shove? Plus I wouldn't want 20kgs hanging off the rails when traveling over corrugations personally.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all, Tom from Clevershade here, I hope you don't mind me jumping on to answer some of the queries raised on this thread.

Thomas at BlackSheep is working on a system to integrate the mounting of our awning on his Grendadier roof racks which do indeed mount from the hand rails rather than the rain gutter. As mentioned by Michael above, Thomas is here to plan the best way to bring the products to Aus.

Also to clarify that our AUD5,000 option is for our 360 degree awning which is a bit of a special case as it's made custom each time to suit the vehicle set up its being installed to. The cost includes the awnings, bracketry, measure up, custom width rear panel and installation in our workshop.

Our best selling awning, the 4.0m 270 Ultra-Lite costs less than AUD2,000, which is probably more in line with most people's budgets and expectations! It weighs only 16kg which is great for those trying to keep weight to a minimum.

For those in the US, if you are interested in any of our gear, our importer is Basil at Basil's Garage, San Diego. Give him a call and he'll be happy to have a chat. www.basilsgarage.com

I agree that Eli Creek gets seriously crowded in peak season, there's plenty of other great places on the island that are worth exploring instead.

Happy to answer any further queries that might come up and thanks to Michael H for the kind words above!

Tom, Clevershade
Cheers Tom, I have your 270, well made and light. Chasing a mounting solution to compare with 210mm HD rhino legs and your crossbars. Keen to see what Thomas comes up with.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Tom, Clevershade
Hi Tom
Your comments are very welcome.
I would love to support an Australian company and also impressed that Thomas has travelled to Australia to look at the market.
I wont have my Grenadier for another month but I will be down on the Gold Coast in a couple of weeks and will call in to have a look at your gear.
I like the Black Sheep roof racks too
I think they will look good on my Grenadier.
1692675976271.png

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had a discussion regarding this with the relevant authority, maximum allowed protrusion from the body is 150mm. Jerrys are 180mm plus the bracket. Not much in it IMO but if push come to shove? Plus I wouldn't want 20kgs hanging off the rails when traveling over corrugations personally.

I mentioned this to Thomas, and he’s aware of the 150mm rule, but he said that when you’re not carrying a jerrycan, the bracket folds in to minimise the protrusion. Maybe it’s an ‘off road only’ kind of thing.

As for the ability to handle corrugations, I’ll let @Black Sheep answer that one. 🙂

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
Hi Tom
Your comments are very welcome.
I would love to support an Australian company and also impressed that Thomas has travelled to Australia to look at the market.
I wont have my Grenadier for another month but I will be down on the Gold Coast in a couple of weeks and will call in to have a look at your gear.
I like the Black Sheep roof racks too
I think they will look good on my Grenadier.
View attachment 7824359
Thanks Dave, you'll be welcome to come in to see the range - just give us a call the day before so we can ensure we're available for you.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I mentioned this to Thomas, and he’s aware of the 150mm rule, but he said that when you’re not carrying a jerrycan, the bracket folds in to minimise the protrusion. Maybe it’s an ‘off road only’ kind of thing.

As for the ability to handle corrugations, I’ll let @Black Sheep answer that one. 🙂
Fair enough, but it kind of makes carrying them pointless if they are "off road only". I'd be keen to know what the dynamic load rating is for the utility rail is and any relevant testing done in Australian conditions
:unsure:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Fair enough, but it kind of makes carrying them pointless if they are "off road only". I'd be keen to know what the dynamic load rating is for the utility rail is and any relevant testing done in Australian conditions
:unsure:
I was not aware of this rule
Luckily I am getting a diesel.
1692682158112.png

Back
Top Bottom