The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Ineos Grenadier 68L Auxiliary Fuel Sub Tank GrenX

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
I’d love to get Ineos’ view regarding the muffler delete. As much as I’d love the extra capacity, without some explanation other than just that it doesn’t sound any different I’m inclined not to be an early adopter on this one.

For the limited times you really need extra fuel, I’m inclined to have an extra 80L on the roof for a few hundred kms, draining it progressively as it’s used.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:57 AM
Reaction score
I’d love to get Ineos’ view regarding the muffler delete. As much as I’d love the extra capacity, without some explanation other than just that it doesn’t sound any different I’m inclined not to be an early adopter on this one.

For the limited times you really need extra fuel, I’m inclined to have an extra 80L on the roof for a few hundred kms, draining it progressively as it’s used.
Milltek's exhaust is literally a muffler delete for the B58 (non-resonated)... it's definitely louder, but not much (plenty of videos on the YouTube)

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Greater fuel capacity is always appreciated and kudos to all efforts to continue to improve the IG! There may be a reason why it is labeled as "diesel only"; the location of the auxiliary tank - behind the rear axle. It is my understanding (to be clear I am not an expert) that diesel may be less volatile and/or less flammable if there is a rear collision. For those in my generation you may recall the Ford Pinto and issues with the location of the gas tank.

There may also be US DOT restrictions to importing an auxiliary tank for the IG (for the reason mentioned above). The manufacturer may have have to classify it as "for off road use only" if sold or imported to the USA.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Greater fuel capacity is always appreciated and kudos to all efforts to continue to improve the IG! There may be a reason why it is labeled as "diesel only"; the location of the auxiliary tank - behind the rear axle. It is my understanding (to be clear I am not an expert) that diesel may be less volatile and/or less flammable if there is a rear collision. For those in my generation you may recall the Ford Pinto and issues with the location of the gas tank.

There may also be US DOT restrictions to importing an auxiliary tank for the IG (for the reason mentioned above). The manufacturer may have have to classify it as "for off road use only" if sold or imported to the USA.
There are a number of vehicles that have aftermarket aux. tanks that sit behind the axle (just in the Toyota realm, Long Range makes aux tanks for the 5th gen 4Runner, 80 series, 100 series, and 200 series LCs come to mind). These tanks are all made of steel, and are installed in the spare tire area. As with many things in the aftermarket world, they are classified as "off road use only", my guess is that the statement is primarily to allow sales in the state of California, which is basically like the "no mans land" of aftermarket fuel tanks of any sort (even those that replace the OEM tank) from what I've read

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are a number of vehicles that have aftermarket aux. tanks that sit behind the axle (just in the Toyota realm, Long Range makes aux tanks for the 5th gen 4Runner, 80 series, 100 series, and 200 series LCs come to mind). These tanks are all made of steel, and are installed in the spare tire area. As with many things in the aftermarket world, they are classified as "off road use only", my guess is that the statement is primarily to allow sales in the state of California, which is basically like the "no mans land" of aftermarket fuel tanks of any sort (even those that replace the OEM tank) from what I've read
The LRA for the Tacoma, at least for the 2010 Tacoma, is located forward of the rear axle. The spare tire is still in the spare tire area. I installed an LRA on my 2010 Tacoma and it is brilliant. The OEM fuel pump, fuel filer and fuel tank float fit right in to to LRA tank and more impressive is that fuel gauge works beautifully.

Attachments

• LRA Tacoma.jpg
    LRA Tacoma.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 62

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The LRA for the Tacoma, at least for the 2010 Tacoma, is located forward of the rear axle. The spare tire is still in the spare tire area. I installed an LRA on my 2010 Tacoma and it is brilliant. The OEM fuel pump, fuel filer and fuel tank float fit right in to to LRA tank and more impressive is that fuel gauge works beautifully.
Yep, I've had the LRA tank on our Tacoma and Tundra, and both were replacement tanks. Our Sprinter has a replacement tank from S&B, however, on the vehicles that don't have room for a larger replacement, LRA does the aux tank with a small fuel pump to transfer fuel to the main tank

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, I've had the LRA tank on our Tacoma and Tundra, and both were replacement tanks. Our Sprinter has a replacement tank from S&B, however, on the vehicles that don't have room for a larger replacement, LRA does the aux tank with a small fuel pump to transfer fuel to the main tank
We have road tripped - traveled - off road - 4x4 - with the Tacoma across the US. The latest was Tuweep and the Mojave Road. With proper planning we never even came close to running out of fuel. It certainly was nice knowing we had plenty of fuel. For me, I'm going to leave the OEM tank on the IG and if necessary carry either the RotopaX or Wavian Jerry cans. The Giant Loop fuel bladders are also an interesting option. Thanks and talk soon.

snowball

Contract Signed
Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I'm interested in people's thoughts on this.

It's 68lts (17.9 USG) of fuel plus the tank weight, and located behind the rear axle where it replaces the muffler. I haven't gone back to check, but I recall Robert Pepper thought the rear axle was already a bit down on load capacity plus the weight behind the axle likely reduces the towball limit. I would like to see some calculations on this from Brown Davis so buyers can make an informed decision. The extra range is nice to have but what's the operational impact of fitting this tank?
Peppers problem was with the front axle not the rear. Specifically that with a winch and the mad max bar work Australians love, then one or two robust people would put the front over.
He recommended (ineos) increase the front axle load limit, even at the expense of reducing the rear which he referred to as "extremely high ".

The tank in question should actually help with weight distribution by being behind the rear axle as the leverage effect would relieve some weight from the front if it's close to max. He does mention that in a brief part of the video but only in passing and not specifically as a possible mitigation of the concern as he was voicing it.

Last edited:

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Peppers problem was with the front axle not the rear. Specifically that with a winch and the mad max bar work Australians love, then one or two fat ass's would put the front over.
He recommended (ineos) increase the front axle load limit, even at the expense of reducing the rear which he referred to as "extremely high ".

The tank in question should actually help with weight distribution by being behind the rear axle as the leverage effect would relieve some weight from the front if it's close to max. He does mention that in a brief part of the video but only in passing and not specifically as a possible mitigation of the concern as he was voicing it.
And that's what happens when you rely on memory. Thanks for the correction re F&R axles.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere but since there are several threads on increasing fuel capacity I thought it might offer a cheaper, practical alternative, especially as it's removable when not needed. Depending on how heavily you load the vehicle on a trip, the 100L polytank with its own 12V pump, hose and nozzle seems an ideal option for diesel versions especially if you can accommodate it in/on a camper trailer: AUD$550 inc GST. The only practical issue (to me) appears to be where to stow the hose and nozzle handpiece .
https://www.ablesales.com.au/portab...sale/portable-poly-diesel-tank-100-litre.html

There's a 210 L version for AUD$790 inc GST... I like the manner in which the hose and nozzle pack compactly into the top of the tank... https://www.ablesales.com.au/portab...ortable-poly-diesel-tank-210-litre-dt210.html

Both versions lend themselves to storage in a camper trailer /hybrid van

• AUTO SHUT OFF FREE FLOW TRIGGER
  • 100 Litre Poly Tank
  • 40LPM/10.6GPM 12v diesel self-priming pump
  • High quality auto shut off nozzle
  • 4 m of 3/4" delivery hose with swivel fitting
  • 4 meter electric cable
  • Size : 92 L x 46 W x 53 H cm
  • Tare Weight 17Kg
    1710731425227.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Peppers problem was with the front axle not the rear. Specifically that with a winch and the mad max bar work Australians love, then one or two robust people would put the front over.

@68lt and approx 75kgs there isn't much leverage to be had directly behind the back axle unfortunately, there is 19kgs taken off the front wheels given that the tank weighs 75kgs and the distance behind the axle is 500mm and front axle is approx 2.5m in distance from the fulcrum point.
I'd definitely would love some more wriggle room on the front axle, not sure why it is like it is.

snowball

Contract Signed
Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
Yeah, it wouldn't be much but if you're loading up the front then every kg makes a difference.The front axle is definitely a soft spot on the Gren's belly though, have to build with it in mind.

They probably made the choice prioritizing rear loads instead of balanced payload knowing how most people stuff the back full of things without a second thought to distribution, i kinda get it. But it's not ideal

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I think it maybe due to the fact the diesel has about 20L of adblue (in 2 tanks) above the new aux fuel tank. However, the petrol has no adblue, so a petrol aux tank should be good for about an extra 30L.

Last edited:

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We have road tripped - traveled - off road - 4x4 - with the Tacoma across the US. The latest was Tuweep and the Mojave Road. With proper planning we never even came close to running out of fuel. It certainly was nice knowing we had plenty of fuel. For me, I'm going to leave the OEM tank on the IG and if necessary carry either the RotopaX or Wavian Jerry cans. The Giant Loop fuel bladders are also an interesting option. Thanks and talk soon.
Your fuel depots are much more closely spaced than those in Australia. Especially if you want to travel into the bush from one, and make it back again. We have fuel anxiety over here.

GrenX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I managed to get included the larger hi flow diesel fuel filler so it can accept the truck bowsers. Production units will ready around June. $1,997 AUD plus shipping, Installation time around 6 hours. I will be taking orders closer to the production run.

Cheers
Rohan @ GrenX

IMG_1849.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1852.jpeg
    IMG_1852.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Back