The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Highway drone and loud idle?

Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
The noise in that video just sounds like an off-road focused 4x4 being driven at speed.
l guess if you want more refinement, sell it and buy a new Defender. My 2022 Defender is almost silent at these speeds.

However the Grenadier is beyond cool and l would still rather have one. lt was only that l couldn't put the Grenadier through my business. The Defender Commercial can be and it saved me over £14,000 in tax.

Last edited:

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
The noise in that video just sounds like an off-road focused 4x4 being driven at speed.
l guess if you want more refinement, sell it and buy a new Defender. My 2022 Defender is almost silent at these speeds.

However the Grenadier is beyond cool and l would still rather have one. lt was only that l couldn't put the Grenadier through my business. The Defender Commercial can be and it saved me over £14,000 in tax.
In real life, the sound is very unpleasant and I used to drive a Wrangler JKU, so I know what an off-road vehicle sounds like at speed. I did not have that vibration/drone sound on the highway in my jeep (but had tire noise for sure).

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In real life, the sound is very unpleasant and I used to drive a Wrangler JKU, so I know what an off-road vehicle sounds like at speed. I did not have that vibration/drone sound on the highway in my jeep (but had tire noise for sure).
I also have the same issue when driving on highway at high speed, plus some vibration or rattling noise that might be coming from windows, and all the high pitch fan noise coming from AC fans if heater is on. I am trying to lower expectations to cope and accept these as a part of package. also finding some comfort from this forum since I am not the only one having these issues.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve only put on about 450 miles so far and haven’t noticed a drone noise or anything on mine Nor any fan noises.

Local time
Reaction score
Does the droning noise occur over a range of speeds or just at one particular speed?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The 8:55 mark in this video I found seems to capture the drone sound pretty well. Hate it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI_ij82Ylxs&t=553s
Looking at the video time, KPH, and listening for the drone it sounds to me like the sound you’re hearing is because he’s on the gas. He goes from 90+kph to @105-107kph. There’s one point where he holds steady at 106, but it appears he’s going up an incline. As soon as he crests (@when the black car passes in the opposite direction), he comes off the gas (speed drops) and the drone goes away. When he holds steady throttle, I don’t hear any drone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If that’s what you’re hearing in your truck even at steady throttle, that would drive me a little nuts too...especially on longer trips. If it’s on acceleration and/or downshifts, it wouldn’t bother me.

I’d be interested to hear what the dealership analysis is.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looking at the video time, KPH, and listening for the drone it sounds to me like the sound you’re hearing is because he’s on the gas. He goes from 90+kph to @105-107kph. There’s one point where he holds steady at 106, but it appears he’s going up an incline. As soon as he crests (@when the black car passes in the opposite direction), he comes off the gas (speed drops) and the drone goes away. When he holds steady throttle, I don’t hear any drone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If that’s what you’re hearing in your truck even at steady throttle, that would drive me a little nuts too...especially on longer trips. If it’s on acceleration and/or downshifts, it wouldn’t bother me.

I’d be interested to hear what the dealership analysis is.
Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

I hear that drone while cruising between 65 and 75mph on the freeway at steady throttle in 8th gear.

Last edited:

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I still think it’s a vibrating heat shield. Many folks have reported it here. Going to take my time troubleshooting once I get my transmission leak fixed.
Things to check because mine is running nearly perfect (diesel). The dealer can’t fix it for you because a, you can’t replicate it when you want to. b, dealer doesn’t have enough time. c, they all do that sir. That’s my experience with my dealer.

The Grenadier is over engineered but it’s not perfect. Have you seen any other truck or or car with so many heat shield under the car and in the engine bay.

The fix. Heat shield (over laps) under the car, toward the rear drive shaft (moving parts). Also bang on the exhaust pipe and heat if there is any metallic clanging. Airbox in the engine bay, bang on the airbox and hear the metallic clang. Bend the heat shield on the side and reach underneath to move it slightly so when you bang on the airbox it stops. At cold idle, some diesel Grenadiers are quite loud. I’ve driven a few courtesy Grenadiers and some are louder than others. Unfortunately there is no consistency in terms of quality.

Last but not least, this is an intermittent fault of the actuators in the heating system. Some times when you leave it in auto, it sometimes whistles when you’re on the motorway. However, if you put in on fan speed 1, the whistling magically disappears. The software for the actuators needs fixing.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Things to check because mine is running nearly perfect (diesel). The dealer can’t fix it for you because a, you can’t replicate it when you want to. b, dealer doesn’t have enough time. c, they all do that sir. That’s my experience with my dealer.

The Grenadier is over engineered but it’s not perfect. Have you seen any other truck or or car with so many heat shield under the car and in the engine bay.

The fix. Heat shield (over laps) under the car, toward the rear drive shaft (moving parts). Also bang on the exhaust pipe and heat if there is any metallic clanging. Airbox in the engine bay, bang on the airbox and hear the metallic clang. Bend the heat shield on the side and reach underneath to move it slightly so when you bang on the airbox it stops. At cold idle, some diesel Grenadiers are quite loud. I’ve driven a few courtesy Grenadiers and some are louder than others. Unfortunately there is no consistency in terms of quality.

Last but not least, this is an intermittent fault of the actuators in the heating system. Some times when you leave it in auto, it sometimes whistles when you’re on the motorway. However, if you put in on fan speed 1, the whistling magically disappears. The software for the actuators needs fixing.
Exactly. I will not waste my time asking the dealer. They will say “that’s normal”

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Did you remove the skid plates while checking all the heat shields?

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you remove the skid plates while checking all the heat shields?
No. Just used my hand to bang the exhaust and bent back the heat shield slightly which I thought and hear touching, especially where some heat shield over lap.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No. Just used my hand to bang the exhaust and bent back the heat shield slightly which I thought and hear touching, especially where some heat shield over lap.
I did the same and it helped but still bothers me.

Back
Top Bottom