The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Highway drone and loud idle?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:43 PM
Reaction score
Hi all! I picked up my Gren Fieldmaster in the US yesterday. Love it so far but I noticed some highway drone at 60-70mph. Also when I'm at a stop sign waiting to make a turn (auto start/stop disabled), the idle is a bit loud. I come from a Mercedes AMG so engine/exhaust noise is something I'm accustomed to, but not loving the drone and rough idle I'm experiencing so far. Hoping some engine break-in will remedy this eventually. Wondering what others' experience is. Please share.

Last edited:

DustCloud

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
Noticed a hum around 110km/h first motorway drive. It wasn't super loud, but it was super noticeable. Either it stopped or my brain tuned it out.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all! I picked up my Gren Fieldmaster in the US yesterday. Love it so far but I noticed some highway drone at 60-70mph. Also when I'm at a stop sign waiting to make a turn (auto start/stop disabled), the idle is a bit loud. I come from a Mercedes AMG so engine/exhaust noise is something I'm accustomed to, but not loving the drone and rough idle I'm experiencing so far. Hoping some engine break-in will remedy this eventually. Wondering what others' experience is. Please share.
Which AMG are you used to driving?

ealshamsi

Eisa ALSHAMSI
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi @Chadd7,

Welcome to the Grenadier. The noise is a feature of this car. The car is not perfect, but it is worth it. You have to live with it :).
Check this past post out:

Eisa

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Definitely a loud center gear box noise on freeway at those speeds. Engine soumds like a diesel right.
Hi @Chadd7,

Welcome to the Grenadier. The noise is a feature of this car. The car is not perfect, but it is worth it. You have to live with it :).
Check this past post out:

Eisa
Thanks. I did read that thread before creating my own. For the highway drone, I really think the sound is coming from the exhaust. I wonder if some modification can be made to eliminate it. It's really annoying.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
Thanks. I did read that thread before creating my own. For the highway drone, I really think the sound is coming from the exhaust. I wonder if some modification can be made to eliminate it. It's really annoying.
The sound between 110 and 120 km/hor better described near 2000 rpm has been spotted front the beginning. There are some ideas here in the forum but no real solution that fits every car. @AWo for example asks whether it could be a not optimal balanced drive shaft. Others found some heat shields that haven’t been tightened enough. These can either be in under the hood or under the car. Maybe the search function helps you although I don’t know the best search words.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The sound between 110 and 120 km/hor better described near 2000 rpm has been spotted front the beginning. There are some ideas here in the forum but no real solution that fits every car. @AWo for example asks whether it could be a not optimal balanced drive shaft. Others found some heat shields that haven’t been tightened enough. These can either be in under the hood or under the car. Maybe the search function helps you although I don’t know the best search words.
Danke! It's definitely exhaust drone. I used to have issues with it in the past with aftermarket exhaust systems for other cars. Very familiar with what it sounds like. Never had to deal with it for OEM exhaust!

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Lovely looking Grenadier you have there. I guess there are always some compromises when driving a truck such as this, that you don't get in a Mercedes or similar.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Lovely looking Grenadier you have there. I guess there are always some compromises when driving a truck such as this, that you don't get in a Mercedes or similar.
Thank you. I've driven Hondas, Mitsubishi, Landcruiser, Wrangler, Subaru, Mercedes, BMW and I have never had a drone from the factory.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Funny enough I think the Grenadier is the same or a little quieter on the highway than my new Defender was (with the expedition roof rack and KO2 tires). I’ve found that I gauge my speed more by sound than the speedometer and have noticed that I’m on average 5-8ish faster in the Grenadier so I’ve been making a conscious effort to watch my speed around town. Have around 800 miles on our Grenadier now.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that after 370 miles on the odometer, these issues seem to be greatly reduced. Took my son to bball practice yesterday and had to make an effort to get the drone to come back. When it did, it only lasted a few seconds. The rough idle also lasts a few seconds and then goes away at a red light. Will continue to monitor.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
Agree with you on this totally. It’s not vibration.

However at idle mine is very quiet. Quieter than the LR4 and less vibration as well.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that after 370 miles on the odometer, these issues seem to be greatly reduced. Took my son to bball practice yesterday and had to make an effort to get the drone to come back. When it did, it only lasted a few seconds. The rough idle also lasts a few seconds and then goes away at a red light. Will continue to monitor.
l've had a couple of vehicles where the engine has needed a bit of time to bed in and become perfectly smooth.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well, driving today the drone is definitely back. The vibration at red lights and stop signs has not returned.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
I have the 2000 rpm - or thereabouts - drone in 8th gear only, as far as I can tell. Basically, highway speeds 60-65 MPH or so, in 8th.

Local time
Reaction score
Love the photo! Great news regarding your cancer treatment.

How many miles have you done in your Grenadier? The noise may reduce once you've done some mileage and the engine is loosened up a bit.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
Keep in mind the Grenadier has a gear driven t/case. While being the cats meow of durability, it makes more noise then the cheap chain driven t/cases. That is a price I am willing to pay. That being said Jeeps Rock Trac case while being amazing at a 4:1 proper ratio, makes REDICULOUS amounts of noise, even in 2wd. I am blown away by how quite the Grenadier one is, because that is something you mostly see in tractors these days. Anyone here ever fight t/case chain stretch? I have, and its ugly.

Back
Top Bottom