The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Highway drone and loud idle?

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
Hi all! I picked up my Gren Fieldmaster in the US yesterday. Love it so far but I noticed some highway drone at 60-70mph. Also when I'm at a stop sign waiting to make a turn (auto start/stop disabled), the idle is a bit loud. I come from a Mercedes AMG so engine/exhaust noise is something I'm accustomed to, but not loving the drone and rough idle I'm experiencing so far. Hoping some engine break-in will remedy this eventually. Wondering what others' experience is. Please share.
Yes sir found that out also on my way home from the dealer in Clearwater FL. 70-80 MPH foot lightly on the gas to keep up speed, lift foot off, drone is gone. Not an issue around town however.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Exhaust drone noise at speed. Noticed that on my way home from the dealer in Clearwater FL. 70-80 MPH foot lightly on the gas to keep up the speed, lift foot off drone noise gone. Not an issue around town however.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It is coming from the heat shielding. I climbed under today and you would tap on all the different pieces of shielding and it would resonate. I put some bend in each piece until they wouldn’t resonate anymore when tapped. 95% of the drone is gone. I think the one under the rear skid is still resonating so I will have to tackle that one another day. Much more comfortable at 1800-2000 rpm now.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
Definitely a loud center gear box noise on freeway at those speeds. Engine soumds like a diesel right.
Transfer case is gear driven. I think this is the reason for the noise. The engine mounts are solid and not hydraulic so you get more transfer of vibration from that.

Last edited:

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is coming from the heat shielding. I climbed under today and you would tap on all the different pieces of shielding and it would resonate. I put some bend in each piece until they wouldn’t resonate anymore when tapped. 95% of the drone is gone. I think the one under the rear skid is still resonating so I will have to tackle that one another day. Much more comfortable at 1800-2000 rpm now.
This has been my experience. The main culprit is the heat shield underneath the rear skid plate closer to passenger side. If you grab it mine wiggled. I jammed some aluminum foil in there to eliminate movement temporarily. It definitely helps a lot.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
Love the photo! Great news regarding your cancer treatment.

How many miles have you done in your Grenadier? The noise may reduce once you've done some mileage and the engine is loosened up a bit.
Thanks! Just crossed 1000 miles yesterday. Loving it!

frcnducted

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
When I crawled under my TM I saw 2 potential ways NVH from the exhaust could transmit more then a typical vehicle. 1st is the exhaust/heat shielding. I originally crawled under mine to make sure they were all secure thank to notes from this forum☺️. 2nd I also noticed Ineos went pretty hardcore on the exhaust mounting engineering. It will be extremely unlikely our exhaust will fall off on thousands of miles of high speed horrible trail. Starting from the rear to the resonator it is a tradition shaped rubber hangar. But it is not rubber. It's a hd grey color type of poly with a higher durometer. My finger nail test told me so lol. Then moving toward the front there is another exhaust mount on the transfer case itself. It is also poly, orange in color and full captured by aluminum. My bet is some aftermarket group will offer a regular rubber hangers for Grenadiers that will only see paved roads.

My family doesn't notice it. But their ears have been trained by a 69 Roadrunner with a decent cam, headers, 2.5inch piping to 40 series Flowmasters.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
Are you sure about this? Not very likely on a newly designed transfer case as helical gears (angled teeth) have been used for ages, at least for the high range gearing.
Actually it might be that it is a gear driven transfer case that causes the noise. I thought i read somewhere it was straight cut gears but might have got that confused with gear driven for some reason.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
Actually it might be that it is a gear driven transfer case that causes the noise. I thought i read somewhere it was straight cut gears but might have got that confused with gear driven for some reason.
Yes, I think you are correct that somewhere someone else on the forum mentioned that chain drive transfer boxes may be quieter, however then they also mentioned chain stretch. I guess everything has a trade off. DaBull

TX Wilderness Seeker

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
Hi! I also have a concerning rough idle while stopped at lights or in park. It's enough to vibrate my steering wheel and shake my watch at times when stopped. My solution so far has been to turn the radio up since my bass is also loud. LOL I am on my first tank of gas and hoping it goes away when I add premium- since the sales guy said they perform better with premium gas. You can feel the vibration on the floorboard also as a passenger. I was going to head to the dealership today and see if the demo does the same because I don't remember this during test drives.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi! I also have a concerning rough idle while stopped at lights or in park. It's enough to vibrate my steering wheel and shake my watch at times when stopped. My solution so far has been to turn the radio up since my bass is also loud. LOL I am on my first tank of gas and hoping it goes away when I add premium- since the sales guy said they perform better with premium gas. You can feel the vibration on the floorboard also as a passenger. I was going to head to the dealership today and see if the demo does the same because I don't remember this during test drives.
Specs do state to use premium. From experience with my 2022 Tiguan, when she gets the good stuff (91 or 93 ethanol free) for long trips when I don't want to stop for 400 miles, the response is incredibly different ☺️

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not saying this cured it but switching to a LL04 5w40 oil made this engine so smooth. QuakerState Euro
Hi all! I picked up my Gren Fieldmaster in the US yesterday. Love it so far but I noticed some highway drone at 60-70mph. Also when I'm at a stop sign waiting to make a turn (auto start/stop disabled), the idle is a bit loud. I come from a Mercedes AMG so engine/exhaust noise is something I'm accustomed to, but not loving the drone and rough idle I'm experiencing so far. Hoping some engine break-in will remedy this eventually. Wondering what others' experience is. Please share.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just bumping this thread. I have now 1300 miles and I still hear the drone at roughly 65-70mph during throttle. Local driving below 50mph, zero unpleasant noises. I think the heat shield adjustments helped a bit, but I still find the drone unpleasant. Enough to hit the throttle harder and coast to avoid that band of noise. Waiting for someone smarter than me to figure out a better solution.

Back
Top Bottom