The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Heater output

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
My heating direction switch does not seem fully related to the symbols that it shows. Currently I can not really get heating to where I want it with exception of windscreen, and then only if the switch is in that particular position ie. Not windscreen and feet.

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine follows the control symbol directions correctly ( as long as it’s not set to auto) but it can take three to four seconds to change, you can hear the flaps moving about if not driving.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if you have the heater set to feet and turn up the temperature and fan speed, hot air blow out towards your feet (obviously). So if you turn it to windscreen demister and feet combo, I have hot air to blowing to the windscreen but cold air blowing out to the feet? Why? Is this normal?

I had a new fan replaced to today because on fan speed 4 (only), it makes a high frequency pitch. Well new fan did not change a thing so dealer had to feedback to Ineos technical.
I set my heat to full onto the screen and fan no 1 with a/c. When the condensation on the screen clears I turn off a/c and set to foot and screen, on fan 1. I get heat to feet and screen. However it takes some miles driving to get really hot before I turn the heat setting down.
One observation I have made is with the fan only on 1 and the air circulating throughout the vehicle the internal temperature is very much dependent on the external ambient temperature. ie when very cold and wet outside the fan on 1 struggles to heat the whole vehicle. Howeverwhen the sun comes through the windscreen, it gets really hot and I have to turn the heat setting to nearly hot.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is really interesting and in some way relatable to the information I was given by my dealer just before Christmas. They have performed the system bleed many times and re-vacuum filled etc and they said the best they could get was warm, not hot, air from the car when running stationary but as soon as they drive it it went back to cold.

Greta won’t like this suggestion but if you start your car, ask for max heat and leave it running for 20 minutes to get fully up to engine temp, does that hose get warm and more importantly; does it go cold again if you set off driving?

Sit rep on our situation, which has taken some positive turns today and I’m very aware that I don’t want to be another cross bloke on the internet complaining for the sake of it.

I get the impression that our dealer has been put under quite significant pressure by lack of coms from Ineos regarding our car as well as a couple of other trouble in patients and they have tried to do a fair job but the lid blew off in my direction this week.

What was out of order was the whole deal about the loan vehicle but I think that is on its way to being resolved as I've now got a direct line to a chap in management at customer services in Ineos UK. He has apologised (for what little that is worth) and committed that they will now either recover our car to their own facility or be directly involved with further diagnosis and repair to rectify the issues. I don’t think stopping, switching off and on, dancing three times round the maypole and feeling up the coolant hoses every time the car goes out is a satisfactory solution. I want this thing to perform right, it was after all “Built on Purpose”. (I knew marketing was bullshit!)

In the meantime he is organising another vehicle, thankfully a diesel with tow bar, to be provided directly from Ineos so my agent can have their demo back. Hopefully everyone will be happy then.

Over the last few weeks I've become so disillusioned with 'Grenadier' and if you'd asked me yesterday, there was no way I wanted it back and just wanted a refund and to move on, essentially throwing two years waiting and a whole load of enthusiasm for this project in the bin. We're going to give it a bit more time and hopefully Ineos UK will be able to restore faith. I was genuinely so gutted and pretty glum about how things had turned out and also worried about how much egg I would have on my face when all the people I told (bored to death) about the Grenadier asked me why I was back driving my old Range Rover! 😂
An update on this post for those remotely interested. (as some semi interesting observations)

Today I returned the petrol demonstrator and been loaned an Ineos UK vehicle, which seems to differ greatly from the standard of vehicle supplied by my agent.

The car in question is a Scottish White diesel Fieldmaster, totally specced up and absolutely lovely. It has done 4k miles and is within 500 cars of mine according to the VIN.

Firstly, it was clean! I don’t just mean “washed”, presented to an excellent standard, as good as mine was when it was new. It has full front end PPF and also protective film in all of the door shuts. It has had the software update as the trip and odo are swapped over in position.

Secondly, the function of the car is a revelation compared with both our own car and the dealer’s demo. It is absolutely perfect to drive, responsive, smooth, lovely. Everything works perfectly, glitch free and just totally at odds with my experience so far. The infotainment seems faster, the HVAC actually responds to inputs as you would expect a modern car to and the whole thing just feels like a finished product.

I don’t care what they have done to this car, but if they can perform the same wizardry with ours I will be delighted.

I also think we might have the wrong colour and that the lighter hues suit the car better.

IMG_7954.jpeg

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:44 AM
Reaction score
Currently the heater seems to be working excessively well.
even the heated seats come on after a few seconds unlike my previous Volvo with leather seats where the warmth arrived even after half an hour.
even too much because I can't keep the temperature cool enough in winter.
The only anomaly happened today after 2000 km when during a journey the heating didn't work but only cold air came out. the next restart everything was ok.

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
An update on this post for those remotely interested. (as some semi interesting observations)

Today I returned the petrol demonstrator and been loaned an Ineos UK vehicle, which seems to differ greatly from the standard of vehicle supplied by my agent.

The car in question is a Scottish White diesel Fieldmaster, totally specced up and absolutely lovely. It has done 4k miles and is within 500 cars of mine according to the VIN.

Firstly, it was clean! I don’t just mean “washed”, presented to an excellent standard, as good as mine was when it was new. It has full front end PPF and also protective film in all of the door shuts. It has had the software update as the trip and odo are swapped over in position.

Secondly, the function of the car is a revelation compared with both our own car and the dealer’s demo. It is absolutely perfect to drive, responsive, smooth, lovely. Everything works perfectly, glitch free and just totally at odds with my experience so far. The infotainment seems faster, the HVAC actually responds to inputs as you would expect a modern car to and the whole thing just feels like a finished product.

I don’t care what they have done to this car, but if they can perform the same wizardry with ours I will be delighted.

I also think we might have the wrong colour and that the lighter hues suit the car better.

View attachment 7840151
Interesting regarding the Ineos loan car. If you still have the car what is the software version number showing as?

Local time
Reaction score
I have noticed my diesels heater really is not very warm, even after a long motorway drive with a trailer, the heater output on max is tepid to say the most. I’m in Scotland at the moment and it was -1 yesterday morning. On my drive to work about 3/4 miles, the heater remained cold the whole time, even though the temperature gauge was showing 90 degrees. Can anyone say if their heater vents are actually hot normally before I hit the dealer with this one please. I know new diesels take longer to get heat up but the output even when the engine is upto temperature is just not acceptable :(
Mine works fine. It’s a bit slow to change direction of air flow (compared to my discovery) but I kind of like the quirkiness, it does heat fine though.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:44 PM
Reaction score
Mine works fine. It’s a bit slow to change direction of air flow (compared to my discovery) but I kind of like the quirkiness, it does heat fine though.
Hi sean0809, From reading about the heating system on the forum, it may be that one of the issues is that the flaps directing air flow do not have a robust actuator to move the flap. If that is the case, then perhaps running the system in manual vs automatic and only starting out with a low fan speed will allow the actuator to more easily position the flap where you want air directed. Once the flap makes the change, then you may be able to crank up the fan speed or perhaps even shift to automatic. Just a thought as I had a 1985 BMW 735i that worked this way when it got a bit older. DaBull

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Last night, coming home from dinner it happened - the face vent blender appears to have an issue. When the selector is on direct face - it blows cold air. If I back it off a bit from face, it gets back to the warm temp I'd expect. This issue has persisted overnight.

Also had an issue this AM with the tell tale unit - it's gone full blank. Currently letting the car reset over the next ten to fifteen minutes and I'll check again.

Edit - tell tale system is working again:
1000011913.jpg
View: https://youtu.be/SI8K2vtSE7c?feature=shared

Last edited:

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:44 PM
Reaction score
Even for the UK a wee bit chilly this morning at -15, thank goodness for a really efficient heating system:

View attachment 7840250

I love my Gren particularly in adverse conditions, it's just so reassuring to drive.:

View attachment 7840251
So why so much variability in the HVAC system performance? Reports of working perfect to not working at all.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So why so much variability in the HVAC system performance? Reports of working perfect to not working at all.

I've experienced that variability first hand in the 4600+ miles I've driven my Grenadier in the US. My speculation is that something internally is getting stuck, not allowing the blender doors to actuate in the desired (requested, selected?) manner. This (along with the annoying fan sound) may be something that is aggravated over time, and will likely require a complete disassembly of the dash to rectify.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Even for the UK a wee bit chilly this morning at -15, thank goodness for a really efficient heating system:

View attachment 7840250

I love my Gren particularly in adverse conditions, it's just so reassuring to drive.:

View attachment 7840251
Great to see that you’re continue to enjoy your Grenadier @Arkaig - you must be one of the highest mileages in the U.K. Would you say your heating system is quick to respond to control inputs or is there some delay? I agree when it is pumping at full heat it is capable of good temperature, just frustrating that has never happened in our car! Also how are your tyres wearing after that mileage and did you ever have to have a re-alignment. All three I’ve driven on the road now have the steering wheel off centre from factory.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great to see that you’re continue to enjoy your Grenadier @Arkaig - you must be one of the highest mileages in the U.K. Would you say your heating system is quick to respond to control inputs or is there some delay? I agree when it is pumping at full heat it is capable of good temperature, just frustrating that has never happened in our car! Also how are your tyres wearing after that mileage and did you ever have to have a re-alignment. All three I’ve driven on the road now have the steering wheel off centre from factory.
@JOB My heating system is quick to respond, well no more than a 5-10 second delay in changing output from say face to feet albeit with a brief cool air interlude. Temperature changes are pretty much instant, assuming engine up to normal operating. Auto similarly. Tyres seem to be wearing evenly all round - front & rear, albeit I have not swopped them round from new. Yes my steering wheel was/is marginally out of alignment, 3-4 degrees to the right, but I've just grown accustomed to it (a Gren foible - they all do that, don't they? :ROFLMAO: ) and it really doesn't bother me, I can still steer a straight line and know which direction the steering wheel is pointing! Sorry to hear you've been having problems, fingers crossed your dealer can sort matters for you.

Reactions: JOB

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@JOB My heating system is quick to respond, well no more than a 5-10 second delay in changing output from say face to feet albeit with a brief cool air interlude. Temperature changes are pretty much instant, assuming engine up to normal operating. Auto similarly. Tyres seem to be wearing evenly all round - front & rear, albeit I have not swopped them round from new. Yes my steering wheel was/is marginally out of alignment, 3-4 degrees to the right, but I've just grown accustomed to it (a Gren foible - they all do that, don't they? :ROFLMAO: ) and it really doesn't bother me, I can still steer a straight line and know which direction the steering wheel is pointing! Sorry to hear you've been having problems, fingers crossed your dealer can sort matters for you.
Hopefully so and we’ll be back on the road in our vehicle! 😁

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Roughly the same experience, although my wife said she couldn’t feel warm air in the passenger footwell. She didn’t get cold but said there was occasionally a blast of cold when switching vents. Requires further investigation…

Local time
Reaction score
Issue I am seeing is definitely a “blender” or some damper not getting closed. Mine is hit or miss. But when I hit the defrost the air is HOT. I actually wonder if it is not a mechanical issue but some type of HVAC plc programming issue or some sensor that isnt getting tripped. Tonight it was cold air all the way home no matter the setting unless I hit the Demist button then it was a furnace. Turned the car off and on and hour later got great hot air off of Auto. Be interested to see what they come up with but they definitely have an issue here.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Issue I am seeing is definitely a “blender” or some damper not getting closed. Mine is hit or miss. But when I hit the defrost the air is HOT. I actually wonder if it is not a mechanical issue but some type of HVAC plc programming issue or some sensor that isnt getting tripped. Tonight it was cold air all the way home no matter the setting unless I hit the Demist button then it was a furnace. Turned the car off and on and hour later got great hot air off of Auto. Be interested to see what they come up with but they definitely have an issue here.
Hi Msnow22
That is exactly my experience. Yesterday’s drive in zero degree weather, with a passenger who was not familiar with the vehicle, confirmed what you are assuming. De-mist was warm but our legs were freezing over a 30 mile drive. After stopping for an hour, the behaviour of the heating was different on the drive home but still not Hot.

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine was working fine until the 1946 software update. Now there is no consistency to how it works.

Back
Top Bottom