The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Pre heater active warning

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
Hi, A new warning light has come up for me. I have a diesel 5 door N1, an early one ie one of the first 1,000 customer vehicles.

Has anybody else had the warning on the central dash "Pre heater active" showing in orange? It came on just after I started car and then intermittently flashed up as I drove it. The car drove fine there were no obvious issues beyond the warning. It was not a particularly cold day (I am in Southern UK and I have started the car without the warning on colder days).

I am guessing the warning should be related to the glow plugs coming to temperature [but I may be wrong in this regard?] but I followed usual procedure for start up (which had not triggered the warning before) and the fact it came up even when the car had been driven for a while makes me think I may have come across a new glitch?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, A new warning light has come up for me. I have a diesel 5 door N1, an early one ie one of the first 1,000 customer vehicles.

Has anybody else had the warning on the central dash "Pre heater active" showing in orange? It came on just after I started car and then intermittently flashed up as I drove it. The car drove fine there were no obvious issues beyond the warning. It was not a particularly cold day (I am in Southern UK and I have started the car without the warning on colder days).

I am guessing the warning should be related to the glow plugs coming to temperature [but I may be wrong in this regard?] but I followed usual procedure for start up (which had not triggered the warning before) and the fact it came up even when the car had been driven for a while makes me think I may have come across a new glitch?
I'm sorry, I don't know this. Do you already have the software update?

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, yes I had the software update a month or so ago. It worked to eliminate the random start up warnings/bongs. This pre heater active warning was not one of the warnings that came up pre the software update.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, yes I had the software update a month or so ago. It worked to eliminate the random start up warnings/bongs. This pre heater active warning was not one of the warnings that came up pre the software update.
Unfortunately I have no idea. Perhaps someone else could help. Regardless of this, I would inform the dealer straight away.

neuf11

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
I've had it once after the software update (1946), but only this once time.

Message in german:

Attachments

• Vorgluehen aktiv.jpg
    Vorgluehen aktiv.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 44

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi thanks x2.

Yes I called dealer who said their demo car does it on start up when the weather is cold. I noted it wasn't that cold (which he acknowledged) and that the warning kept flashing post the car had started. Despite this, he assured me it was not an issue. I am guessing it is probably not an issue but I have a slight sense I am being brushed off and that there is (or was) a fault somewhere. I will keep this monitored. It is interesting that you neuf11 have experienced the same but only the one time. Hopefully that will be my experience also

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score

Perhaps it is an actual genuine warning for once (and not just a Gren bing and bong) and the glow plugs have remained on after the engine start up.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi thanks x2.

Yes I called dealer who said their demo car does it on start up when the weather is cold. I noted it wasn't that cold (which he acknowledged) and that the warning kept flashing post the car had started. Despite this, he assured me it was not an issue. I am guessing it is probably not an issue but I have a slight sense I am being brushed off and that there is (or was) a fault somewhere. I will keep this monitored. It is interesting that you neuf11 have experienced the same but only the one time. Hopefully that will be my experience also
The weather certainly isn't cold for this time of year. And I think your dealer IS fobbing you off. a) there is a software glitch or b) there is a glow plug fault. But certainly c) a dealer fault.
Out of curiosity at the dealers were you talking to a salesman or a service technician.

neuf11

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But after this one-off warning, there are no abnormalities when starting or running the engine, nothing. For 2 weeks now and about 500 km.

p.s.: on the day of the warning message, the outside temperature was
2° C

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you all. I will see what happens when I use the car again. Eric, I wasn't entirely confident the agent had taken full consideration but he did say he had spoken with the technician and I believe this would have been the case knowing the guy. It is surprising (in light of the commonality of all the other faults I have encountered [only one of which was indirectly car stopping ie windscreen wipers that refused to be turned off!]) that only one person has come across the same thing

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I’m sub 1000 and I’ve had it a few times post software update. Both times it was a cold start and the yellow light lingers for about 1 minute.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have already had this warning display twice. The first time it was approx. 7 degrees outside temperature. I drove a distance of around 200 kilometres that day and the display kept going out and then reappeared some time later. Otherwise, the vehicle ran without any problems.
The second time, also with an outside temperature below 8 degrees, I switched the engine off again immediately and then waited longer after switching on the ignition. Then the error message disappeared.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you. It is good to hear that others have had similar but with no evident underlying issues. It is just another Grenadier quirk to keep us on our toes.

I didn’t think I turned the engine on too quickly with the key (or differently from usual) but I may have done before the glow plugs had a chance to warm up. We shall see

shaun

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Next time give it a try with:
- ignition on, wait until message disappears
- start the engine

This type of advisory message is normally shown if the parameters are met for engine pre heating necessary. With the push button BMW engines, you‘ll push the button then it takes quite a while and then finally it will start up after displaying the message for your convenience.
With the turn key ignition it’s your part to wait for the message to disappear before starting the engine.
But this is all taking into account that it‘s a valid advisory message (which in my opinion shouldn’t be amber but normal white).

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Shaun. Prior today I have never seen the “pre-heater active” warning (in any colour) on the central screen (or anywhere else). I have always waited for test warning lights on small screen behind the steering wheel to go out having been “encouraged” to do so by all the bongs, warnings etc pre the software update.

I will keep it monitored, it would not surprise me if it was a one-off nor if I am now subjected to it every time I start the vehicle!

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had it once and thought it was because I didn’t give the glow plugs time to work as I put the keys in and then started immediately. I typically turn the keys slightly and wait until tell tale lights/self checks are complete before firing up engine. I’ve always done this with diesel cars, van, tractors etc.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterday I had this message pre glow / pre heat every couple of seconds appearing. The engine was warm- Oil Temp 90 , on way home 5 hrs later nothing appeared.
My assumption and some research - (in German) it has to do with the exhaust valve and regeneration of Diesel Particle Filter. So maximum heat to avoid coking of valves and filters.

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It would be a bit more ideal if the glow plug warming would stay on the dash until it had finished heating (like my other vehicles).

Reactions: PBD

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It would be a bit more ideal if the glow plug warming would stay on the dash until it had finished heating (like my other vehicles).
In the meantime - now close to 3800 kms - the pre glow message appeared on two occasions. Some 1200 kms distant and no cold weather. Talking to a friend of mine who works in the automotive industry - This happens also on other makes and brands and this means the exhaust cleaning system becomes regenerated. The message is simply not displayed, because this is of no concern to the driver. To me I do not care anymore about the message. - I rather ask why the heck is this message displayed to the driver at all? - What is the reason about it. - In the past normal catalytic converters tend to be very hot and may cause fires on grass. So if this is the case - hot particle filter or similar - this may start fire.. I d' expect a different warning.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I could imagine that this was used during the development when more information was needed.

And then it was simply forgotten to remove it from the production vehicles.

AWo

Back
Top Bottom