The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.
Local time
7:13 PM
Reaction score
You forgot the 70 Series has a different size front and rear axle, which come back to haunt you off road. Apparently the new 4 cylinder still does not even fix that.
I'm also not finding this map terribly re-assuring. Toyota has five dealerships in the NT, and 40 in WA. I just spent two weeks in rural QLD, NT and SA. Basically the whole time 1000-1500k from an Ineos dealer. Ineos need to sort this. At the very least they need dealers or at least service agents in Alice and somewhere like Broome.

If Ineos want to charge for a mature product with an established service network.. they better get on with it. It's easy to be a loooong way from help.

Attachments

• Grenadier.jpg
    Grenadier.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 6

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
I'm also not finding this map terribly re-assuring. Toyota has five dealerships in the NT, and 40 in WA. I just spent two weeks in rural QLD, NT and SA. Basically the whole time 1000-1500k from an Ineos dealer. Ineos need to sort this. At the very least they need dealers or at least service agents in Alice and somewhere like Broome.

If Ineos want to charge for a mature product with an established service network.. they better get on with it. It's easy to be a loooong way from help.
Know several people who have had serious problems with Toyotas in remote areas, they can still end up waiting weeks for a slot and or parts, or flatbedding it to a major centre. The dealerships in many remote areas are often very busy with farming and mining work which is their highest priority and even Toyota has issues with supply chain for parts. A friend who drives a Prado was traveling with a mate with a Discovery and they both had issues in regional WA. The Prado spent six weeks there off the road waiting for parts and repairs. The Disco went on a truck to Perth and was back on the road in a few days. The Totota legend can end up being more of a myth than the actual legend. INEOS is still light on in terms of network there is no doubt but we all knew that.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you want exactly what the grenadier offers then it's probably value.

Me - I just wanted a modern defender that was a bit more comfortable. Personally I can't justify spending that much money on a car I'm just going to wreck in the bush.
sounds like you need to get an older vehicle and custom build to what you want.
That would be interesting and fun.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do I? Really? And It's probably more like 45k at these prices. And I reckon even if I got my new Grenadier I'd still end up sinking more into it on top of standard.

I guess it depends what you want. The main thing that I can think of that I'd need to add to the Toyota that the grenadier has would be a dual battery system and a roo bar. Plus the optional factory diff locks. I'd also need a cargo barrier, and UHF. I would think I'd get change out of 10k.

I mean if you really wanted to lay into the after market stuff you probably could get a 70 wagon close to a grenadier. Coil conversion etc.. But I mean
frankly the Grenadier needs a GVM increase too. It just hasn't been developed yet. I guess it depends what you class "need" and "want".
I think there is no point comparing different vehicles like this against each other, only against a list of individuals needs and wants.
I could not see myself driving a 70 series daily, because it is just too unrefined for me, but then again i couldn't see myself driving a Range Rover daily as it is too refined for me.
But that is me. Not everyone.
I love driving manuals, but wouldn't buy one now, because I want the convenience of automatic and also as I get older who knows what health issues might arise.
I was in a 10 year old Pajero yesterday that has had a long life of towing vans around Australia. It rattled, squeaked, groaned and kept on going, but I couldn't drive it every day.
I drove a mates 70 series dual cab, with GVM upgrade, lifted, canopy etc and I needed a step to get up to the fitted side steps.
It was horrible to drive and steered like a ship in cross winds. 327,000 kms on the clock didn't help.
Not to mention the stupid sound of a wastegate blow-off wanker valve.

as we have discovered on here however so many of us have different use cases, needs and wants that it is leading to some fantastic/questionable/dubious/amusing modifications.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
I posted this in July...turn the steering wheel mate you are going around in circles.
And I think I'm cool with that. I'm just going to keep driving the defender. But I remain convinced - that if I was going to buy a new 4x4 that there are a lot of solid alternatives now the Grenadier price has escalated so much. Yes they all offer slightly different takes on things but that's how it goes.

I remain convinced that it's going to be more difficult than they would like to get new orders (although for the moment they are still struggling to deliver what they have). I suspect Ineos are going to struggle to get enough volume to be viable in Australia long term.

But hey - that's just me. If I'd ordered at launch price it would have been a different equation. But I didn't for reasons that I don't regret so we have to roll with it.

Reactions: Max

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And I think I'm cool with that. I'm just going to keep driving the defender. But I remain convinced - that if I was going to buy a new 4x4 that there are a lot of solid alternatives now the Grenadier price has escalated so much. Yes they all offer slightly different takes on things but that's how it goes.

I remain convinced that it's going to be more difficult than they would like to get new orders (although for the moment they are still struggling to deliver what they have). I suspect Ineos are going to struggle to get enough volume to be viable in Australia long term.

But hey - that's just me. If I'd ordered at launch price it would have been a different equation. But I didn't for reasons that I don't regret so we have to roll with it.
I think they will sell as as many as they need to sell, it was never going to he a mass market car, many won’t be able to afford one, that is the way of the world, many won’t want one or prefer something different that is also the way of the world. Enough people will like it enough and have enough money to buy as many as INEOS olan to sell.

Reactions: Max

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
Know several people who have had serious problems with Toyotas in remote areas, they can still end up waiting weeks for a slot and or parts, or flatbedding it to a major centre. The dealerships in many remote areas are often very busy with farming and mining work which is their highest priority and even Toyota has issues with supply chain for parts. A friend who drives a Prado was traveling with a mate with a Discovery and they both had issues in regional WA. The Prado spent six weeks there off the road waiting for parts and repairs. The Disco went on a truck to Perth and was back on the road in a few days. The Totota legend can end up being more of a myth than the actual legend. INEOS is still light on in terms of network there is no doubt but we all knew that.
I can recount an incident pre-covid in 2019 after taking out a brake line on the GRR, -Toyota says- not one in Australia, 4 week wait- I thought, its a bloody 200 series there's a million of them and they don't have a brake line??

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I can recount an incident pre-covid in 2019 after taking out a brake line on the GRR, -Toyota says- not one in Australia, 4 week wait- I thought, its a bloody 200 series there's a million of them and they don't have a brake line??
So what happened then?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Definitely! but that aside, you'd think they'd have one in stock
It wouldn't give me faith in buying a modern Toyota...
Reliability extends to parts supply/ distribution...your case falls short of "legendary"

Local time
Reaction score
I think they will sell as as many as they need to sell, it was never going to he a mass market car, many won’t be able to afford one, that is the way of the world, many won’t want one or prefer something different that is also the way of the world. Enough people will like it enough and have enough money to buy as many as INEOS olan to sell.
IMHO they went too hard too early with the price increases. I'm sure they have their commercial reasons. They have priced the car for a well proven weapon and with a proven and effective support system. Frankly it's going to be years before anyone can honestly say that's the case. It's still a big unknown unknown. I expect it's going to take years until we find out the long term durability of the vehicle. If you only drive around populated places I'm sure it's fine but where I go you can be a looong way from anyone or anything.

I'll be interested to see how they go once they have filled existing orders (which bought at lower prices).

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I travel remote a lot. So I am often not near a dealer. You find a solution, because whinging about it will not get your car fixed. It is not INEOS' job to have dealers or service agents in all the remote parts of Australia - most other brands don't.

Remote mechanics are a resourceful lot, they always seem to find a solution to most problems– unlike soft city folk. The big issue is over computerised cars.

Why are you worried about INEOS, you have not ordered a Grenadier. Correct me if I am wrong. You need to buy or move on.

Local time
Reaction score
I travel remote a lot. So I am often not near a dealer. You find a solution, because whinging about it will not get your car fixed. It is not INEOS' job to have dealers or service agents in all the remote parts of Australia - most other brands don't.

Remote mechanics are a resourceful lot, they always seem to find a solution to most problems– unlike soft city folk. The big issue is over computerised cars.

Why are you worried about INEOS, you have not ordered a Grenadier. Correct me if I am wrong. You need to buy or move on.
Yep.. 20 years of not needing to be recovered.

I respectfully disagree about remote support for these cars. Ineos promised that they would have service agents all over the place, flying spanners, would release all the technical documentation etc. Manuals and electronic diagnosis tools are vital these days and they don't yet exist. Do tell me what's the procedure to get parts quickly to remote areas? To the best of my knowledge.. most of those things haven't happened yet.

We are getting an idea on the initial bugs now, but are yet to see what the long term problems will be (if any). To be clear.. I hope everyone has problem free cars!

My issue is ineos have priced themselves for achieving on everything they promised but I don't think they are there yet.

But you're right.. I didn't order one at launch because I wanted to let them sort the bugs. Which frankly I'm glad I did because I wouldn't want to take one remote at this point.

I can move on sure.. but I thought my natural place was in this thread. :D Never say never and all. I haven't ruled them out. Maybe in the future their price will match their promise and I'll buy. ;)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe in the future their price will match their promise and I'll buy. ;)
One thing , they'll never be cheaper , except 2nd hand, and given how in Australia old Defender prices went silly (way beyond what I thought they were worth), maybe not!

Local time
Reaction score
One thing , they'll never be cheaper , except 2nd hand, and given how in Australia old Defender prices went silly (way beyond what I thought they were worth), maybe not!
I think what I was implying.. that maybe in a few years they will have reliable proven cars with no bugs, and a functional remote service model. Hopefully they won't keep putting the prices up at the rate they have been, but we will see. That's my argument - the new prices represent what they have promised and are yet to deliver.

Back
Top Bottom