The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Going the extra mile

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
My next trip requires a lot of extra diesel on board. I need to carry 6 jerry cans and want to use the original metal version. 20L each.
But where should they go? All 6 are preferable on the outside of the car. I am thinking of buying the Letech leather. Does anyone know the price of this beauty?
Download (1).jpeg
Only five jerry cans left to store somewhere...

Download.jpeg
Is there a mount like this already on the market? Btw. that is the Rhino-Rack Defender solution.
Maybe two jerry cans would fit on each side. It is a lot of weight. What is the maximum load of the mounting tubes on the roof?

Only one left.
Maybe I store this one on the roof. I know this is the worst place to store heavy extra fuel. On the other hand, I can empty it on the first day. So most of the trip it will be light. A fair compromise.

Where would you put them?

c

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
Can't mount fuel on the side of a vehicle in Australia when using gazetted roads - sadly. Good use of space though for fuel storage!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:10 AM
Reaction score
The Exterior gear rail can hold ~40kg per panel; so holding two jerry's per side on the rear side panels should be within limits. The LeTech ladder would be fine to hold one; I think someone posted saying it was around €800. The remaining one (or several) on the roof would work as well.

Personally, I would prefer no more than 1 per side on the rear panels; and perhaps would investigate the possibility of placing one on the spare tire (not sure if a universal mount exists for this, but I know Jeep Wranglers use a similar mount). Additionally, if you didn't have to use the ladder, an additional Jerry can could be attached to the upper rungs on the ladder

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can't mount fuel on the side of a vehicle in Australia when using gazetted roads - sadly. Good use of space though for fuel storage!
I do not know if it is legal in europe. Maybe there are different regulations within the european boarders. Means every country has its own rules and regulations for all traffic related stuff. But there the network of gas stations is very dense. Meaning all extra canisters are empty and could be stored on the roof or even inside the car.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:10 PM
Reaction score
on the roof

interested to know where you're going that you'll need 120L additional fuel?

Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
I do not know if it is legal in europe.
As far as I know cargo may not exceed vehicle width in road use (most probably in entire EU).

Is it possible to store one extra jerry on the ladder?
Diesel is not as dangerous (flammable) as petrol so I could consider transporting it also inside the car. This may be illegal, don't know for sure, possibly depends on the quantity.
Empty containers are actually not less dangerous than full ones. Full doesn't contain much oxygen but the empty usually has fuel and air in an explosive mixture.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
from a first quick and not very accurate analysis it could work within the boundaries of the side mirrors....

You might be within the mirror boundaries but definitely obscuring what you can *see* with the side mirrors. :-/

Alternative ... I've seen some Jeep Wranglers carrying fuel cans just forward of the front doors. You could drill a can/cage mount or possibly use webbing and some hooks under the bonnet to rig a temporary cage/platform. Anyways, picture is worth a thousand words...
jeepcan.jpgjeepcan2.jpgjeepcan3.jpg

More in this thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/fine-points-about-carrying-external-fuel.1404530/

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You might be within the mirror boundaries but definitely obscuring what you can *see* with the side mirrors. :-/

Alternative ... I've seen some Jeep Wranglers carrying fuel cans just forward of the front doors. You could drill a can/cage mount or possibly use webbing and some hooks under the bonnet to rig a temporary cage/platform. Anyways, picture is worth a thousand words...
View attachment 7835199View attachment 7835200View attachment 7835201

More in this thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/fine-points-about-carrying-external-fuel.1404530/
1701977207762.png
There is not sufficient space in front of the door. But finally the Rails on the doors could make sense.
1701977341617.png It is beautier from the side view i have to admit.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:10 PM
Reaction score
You can, in approved containers, the side protrusions cannot be wider than 150mm from the outer most part of the vehicle not including the mirrors. There is no mention in any Dangerous Goods Regs which states it is not illegal to carry fuel on the side/top/rear/front of your vehicle. What constitutes "safe" is open to interpretation, but if it follows what is written below, it should be considered OK. Is it ideal? maybe not, is it dangerous? maybe so. Carrying 20lt supported by the grab rail and utility belt IMO is not ideal. But it is not illegal.
1702025983864.png

Back
Top Bottom