The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

External Jerry Cans - not on the roof

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
Well there's more than enough room for them on the front bumpers if you fancy swapping the auxiliary headlights out for some full headlights; or, more extreme, I think there's a special category for daytime only running if you don't have headlights in the first place (UK).

IMG_20230712_112305468_HDR.jpg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
Well there's more than enough room for them on the front bumpers if you fancy swapping the auxiliary headlights out for some full headlights; or, more extreme, I think there's a special category for daytime only running if you don't have headlights in the first place (UK).

View attachment 7819844
And you blokes in Europe have been complaining about the big arsed bumpers you have to have on the IG, without fully appreciating the value add they provide besides somewhere to have your tea and bickies after a hard day in the Cotswalds.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
And you blokes in Europe have been complaining about the big arsed bumpers you have to have on the IG, without fully appreciating the value add they provide besides somewhere to have your tea and bickies after a hard day in the Cotswalds.
And the Leyland brothers stored their oil in the bumpers; now there's a thought for the northerners.

Local time
Reaction score
On my Jeep JKUR I have a Motobilt Wavian Jerry can mount attached to the rear door hinges, specifically the heavy duty MORyde hinges. I would rather not have to carry multiple cans inside the vehicle, or resort to attaching a roof rack to carry these cans.

Just throwing this out - does anyone have ideas on how to carry spare fuel, and even, water cans externally with the least amount of fabrication?

I think I know the answer - no, due to surface area, without modification.

I prefer to not use plastic fuel containers. So the idea of attaching Rotopax containers isn’t on my plan.

Thanks.
I agree, it would be good to be able to fit something like this
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/...ZZzhCq2BFL3gEgqiiGfHSVz8xD0Fiy9UaAuCaEALw_wcB

Offroad-Tec

Supporting Vendor
Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score
For the Grenadier we provide jerry can brackets like these:

OT_MOLLE_Grenadier_ (39).jpg

For overlanders we recommend a 2nd airlinerail under the Gutter in combination with mount plates for jerry cans like these:

IMG_2184.JPG

For the Grenadier we have a new version in production. The picture shows the Wrangler, Defender universal mount plate.

Regards - Markus

Local time
Reaction score
Have you considered a fuel bladder such as the giant loop armadillo. It can be strapped down in various configurations and when not in use can be rolled up into a smaller form factor so it takes up less space.

I know nothing about this company, and googled it because it seems like a cool idea. I've got no dog in this fight. The company seems to be out of Bend, Oregon (or maybe that is just the American distributor for a company based elsewhere), so I found this paragraph on their website (below) a bit counter-intuitive to the apparent intended use:

Armadillo Bag is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state and federal agencies. Armadillo Bag is NOT intended for fuel storage, transport or use as a gas bag in the USA. Armadillo Bag liquid power reservoir utility bladder is not a food-grade product, so we do not recommend its use for potable drinking water without filtration.

Are they saying - use the fuel bags at your own risk, and face any legal consequences on your own, because we are not selling these fuel bags as fuel bags?

When it comes to the water bags, there are multiple options for water storage that are made from food-grade plastic (Rotopax, among others), so again, its a rather surprising disclaimer. It is true that you cannot roll-up a Rotopax, but I'd rather carry a Rotopax and drink out of it, then carry a water bag and have to filter the water before drinking. The water bag would be good though, for washing dishes, or taking a quick shower.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:03 AM
Reaction score
Love the terms of sale.. first paragraph:

1. GENERAL WARRANTIES OF SELLER. THE MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS ARE SUPPLIED “AS IS” AND “WITH ALL FAULTS”. No warranties except those implied by law and which cannot be excluded are given by Seller, its manufacturers, distributors, owners, employees, directors, vendors, promoters, parent companies or affiliates in respect of the materials and products supplied. SELLER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

hmmm.....

I assume its some carb/epa rule that is making them being this strict with the warranty?

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I know nothing about this company, and googled it because it seems like a cool idea. I've got no dog in this fight. The company seems to be out of Bend, Oregon (or maybe that is just the American distributor for a company based elsewhere), so I found this paragraph on their website (below) a bit counter-intuitive to the apparent intended use:

Armadillo Bag is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state and federal agencies. Armadillo Bag is NOT intended for fuel storage, transport or use as a gas bag in the USA. Armadillo Bag liquid power reservoir utility bladder is not a food-grade product, so we do not recommend its use for potable drinking water without filtration.

Are they saying - use the fuel bags at your own risk, and face any legal consequences on your own, because we are not selling these fuel bags as fuel bags?

When it comes to the water bags, there are multiple options for water storage that are made from food-grade plastic (Rotopax, among others), so again, its a rather surprising disclaimer. It is true that you cannot roll-up a Rotopax, but I'd rather carry a Rotopax and drink out of it, then carry a water bag and have to filter the water before drinking. The water bag would be good though, for washing dishes, or taking a quick shower.

The armadillo was designed to hold fuel, but in the USA there is some EPA or regulatory constraints that prevent them from claiming it as fuel storage device (hence the disclaimer with a wink and nod undertones). I think it has to do with it being a flexible bladder as apposed to a ridged container. In the majority of the world they can call it a fuel container but in USA they cannot. It is not for potable water storage, if you want water storage options look at their cactus canteen water storage products. Giantloop is a USA company and considered to be a well regarded company in the motorcycle community. They have several YouTube videos showing them storing fuel in the armadillo and running over it with a motorcycle several times to show it is durable and safe. I am not affiliated with the company, but I can attest to the quality of their products. Best to talk to them if you have concerns about your particular use case and its suitability for you.

Here is a video that can explain more about the product and why it cannot be called a fuel container in the USA
View: https://youtu.be/NspzeDI0KG8?si=yqPzpmEIfJTjpL21

Last edited:

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I went down a rabbit hole looking up the regulations. There are so many rules it is mind boggling.
A few are emissions related, I don't think this is where this product is challenged. There are rules about requiring self closing capabilities, flame arresting design, the color must be red, the material is constructed with just be conductive to prevent electrostatic sparks. The more I read the more I suspect that it's more than just epa that is hard to comply with. OSHA has a slew of rules as well (for instance red is gasoline, yellow is diesel) and if you don't follow them commercial gas stations aren't supposed to let you out fuel into that container at a gas station. There is a slew of national fire prevention standards codified into state laws.

I can see how much work it would be for a small company to get their product UL listed and pay lawyers to research all rules and regulations. I think this is more complicated than vehicle safety given how many regulations from different entities are involved.

Gibby

Donny Grey, White Roof, Red Frame, much more.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7838638

For overlanders we recommend a 2nd airlinerail under the Gutter in combination with mount plates for jerry cans like these:

View attachment 7838639

For the Grenadier we have a new version in production. The picture shows the Wrangler, Defender universal mount plate.

Regards - Markus
Hello. where can I find the Jerry can holder mount plates? I went to you website but could not find it. Thank you.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went down a rabbit hole looking up the regulations. There are so many rules it is mind boggling.
A few are emissions related, I don't think this is where this product is challenged. There are rules about requiring self closing capabilities, flame arresting design, the color must be red, the material is constructed with just be conductive to prevent electrostatic sparks. The more I read the more I suspect that it's more than just epa that is hard to comply with. OSHA has a slew of rules as well (for instance red is gasoline, yellow is diesel) and if you don't follow them commercial gas stations aren't supposed to let you out fuel into that container at a gas station. There is a slew of national fire prevention standards codified into state laws.

I can see how much work it would be for a small company to get their product UL listed and pay lawyers to research all rules and regulations. I think this is more complicated than vehicle safety given how many regulations from different entities are involved.
And yet some idiot - using a proper fuel can - pours gasoline from it into his home fireplace - blows up house, there’s a tragic death involved, a he sued the can maker. AND WON. The judgement said that if the can had a flame arrestor it would not have blown up. Perhaps. But being smart enough to know you shouldn’t pour gasoline into a fire inside your home would have prevented the tragedy too.

Makes sense for these guys to avoid liability.

Local time
Reaction score
And yet some idiot - using a proper fuel can - pours gasoline from it into his home fireplace - blows up house, there’s a tragic death involved, a he sued the can maker. AND WON. The judgement said that if the can had a flame arrestor it would not have blown up. Perhaps. But being smart enough to know you shouldn’t pour gasoline into a fire inside your home would have prevented the tragedy too.

Makes sense for these guys to avoid liability.
Sure, but who then assumes the liability? The consumer.

On the other hand, if one is using an approved fuel-container, in a way that meets safety regs, one should be free from liability in an accident.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sure, but who then assumes the liability? The consumer.

On the other hand, if one is using an approved fuel-container, in a way that meets safety regs, one should be free from liability in an accident.
The results of using something incorrectly or foolishly should be on the consumer, not manufacturers. The Blitz story is interesting because at the time that particular fuel can met regulations.

If something meets legal requirements, the consumer who opts to buy/use that device must take responsibility for himself. IE - AEB was not required when we got the Fit. If I drive straight into a wall I can’t sue Honda because the car did not have AEB. Maybe that’s a stupid example, but I hope you understand my point. We have managed to litigate common sense.

Local time
Reaction score
The results of using something incorrectly or foolishly should be on the consumer, not manufacturers. The Blitz story is interesting because at the time that particular fuel can met regulations.

If something meets legal requirements, the consumer who opts to buy/use that device must take responsibility for himself. IE - AEB was not required when we got the Fit. If I drive straight into a wall I can’t sue Honda because the car did not have AEB. Maybe that’s a stupid example, but I hope you understand my point. We have managed to litigate common sense.
Hey Krabby,

We are in complete agreement on the points you make, but it seems like you are responding to something I did not say. In my second sentence I wrote: "On the other hand, if one is using an approved fuel-container, in a way that meets safety regs, one should be free from liability in an accident."

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Krabby,

We are in complete agreement on the points you make, but it seems like you are responding to something I did not say. In my second sentence I wrote: "On the other hand, if one is using an approved fuel-container, in a way that meets safety regs, one should be free from liability in an accident."
Ahhh. Didn’t read carefully enough. (I’m distracted ATM) but I totally agree with that too. It’s just a shame that in the US, stupidity fuels our litigious society and somehow the idiots manage to win.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is litigation due to safety defect (aka product liability) as much as regulation. This area seems heavily regulated, likely because so many gas cans are used by workers and consumers.

Sure there is a lot of stuff where companies protect themselves because of liability, but you cant really eliminate liability completely through contract. I think this is more regulatory forces that is driving them.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All of the regulation was driven by CARB compliance. I believe this includes the shut-off as a result of the Blitz lawsuit. Technically, filling of non-CARB can in a CARB-compliant State is forbidden. But I have never had issue with NATO Jerry cans, and personally would not use any other fuel container.

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7838638

View attachment 7838639

Regards - Markus
Who produces this? I feel like I missed some context here - I don't see a company, manufacturer, or product name.

Back
Top Bottom