The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

External Jerry Cans - not on the roof

Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
On my Jeep JKUR I have a Motobilt Wavian Jerry can mount attached to the rear door hinges, specifically the heavy duty MORyde hinges. I would rather not have to carry multiple cans inside the vehicle, or resort to attaching a roof rack to carry these cans.

Just throwing this out - does anyone have ideas on how to carry spare fuel, and even, water cans externally with the least amount of fabrication?

I think I know the answer - no, due to surface area, without modification.

I prefer to not use plastic fuel containers. So the idea of attaching Rotopax containers isn’t on my plan.

Thanks.

Reactions: PBD

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
On my Jeep JKUR I have a Motobilt Wavian Jerry can mount attached to the rear door hinges, specifically the heavy duty MORyde hinges. I would rather not have to carry multiple cans inside the vehicle, or resort to attaching a roof rack to carry these cans.

Just throwing this out - does anyone have ideas on how to carry spare fuel, and even, water cans externally with the least amount of fabrication?

I think I know the answer - no, due to surface area, without modification.

I prefer to not use plastic fuel containers. So the idea of attaching Rotopax containers isn’t on my plan.

Thanks.
See the posts about Le Tech accessories, they are doing a ladder that has space for a Jerry behind it. Looks neat. Otherwise I think Rotopax style on side Molle panels are the only other option for now. I am sure that it would be an option to make a swingaway carrier for the rear bumper, but probably would have to ditch the ladder to do it. But that doesn’t really meet your least amount of fabrication criteria

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
Black sheep has an option that fits inside the spare tire. Believe it is rotomolded though.

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Also for water giant loop has a bladder specifically for water called the cactus

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
That Series would give me a heart attack if I saw it bouncing down the trail in my direction.

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
Have you considered a fuel bladder such as the giant loop armadillo. It can be strapped down in various configurations and when not in use can be rolled up into a smaller form factor so it takes up less space.

I think this is one of the best solutions. You can strap it on the roof rack easily.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
FWIW the Overland Journal guys discussed these on the podcast that was posted yesterday. They had good things to say about them.

Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
Lennartz Technik in Germany sales this one:

If the picture did not load:

_DSC1633.jpg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As cool as those bladders look, at A$240 for a 19L bladder I’ll stick to plastic jerries on the roof.
For me the trick has always been to empty the jerries into the tank as soon as possible to get the weight off the roof early. So every 150km or so (depending on fuel usage), during a break drop a jerry into the tank and move on. Obviously on something like a jeep carrying on the roof is harder.

Non drinking water I like to keep in bladder on the floor of the second row seats, and there are some hreat new options for that.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
That Series would give me a heart attack if I saw it bouncing down the trail in my direction.
Why ~ Jerrycans are well proven tech.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Why ~ Jerrycans are well proven tech.

Not when used as crash protection in a head-on collision. I did say "bouncing" :D.

I want to like this idea for several reasons but...

Chevrolet full sized pick-ups ('73 thru '87) had side saddle fuel tanks outboard of the frame rails as per above. In cross traffic accidents the tanks belched fuel out the filler tube and all over the front of the vehicle that t-boned the truck from the side. Killed a few people iirc. There were lawsuits for decades. Some years ago I got a voucher for $100US or so if I wanted to trade in mine for a newer model. Not really a consideration on some lonely track but passing through a busy metro area I'd want any unprotected fuel storage empty. I still have the truck and run the dual 30gallon tanks only half full when I'm using it as a daily driver. That way there's some room for compression in a strong side impact.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
This is a pretty good basic set up - at 22 minutes in.
Yes I think those are from FMestore and are food grade. They do a 125L which allows for a transmission hump.
1000gsm https://fmestore.com.au/product/ext...r-transmission-hump-125l-dw125bh-potable-tpu/

900gsm.

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
Not when used as crash protection in a head-on collision. I did say "bouncing" :D.

I want to like this idea for several reasons but...

Chevrolet full sized pick-ups ('73 thru '87) had side saddle fuel tanks outboard of the frame rails as per above. In cross traffic accidents the tanks belched fuel out the filler tube and all over the front of the vehicle that t-boned the truck from the side. Killed a few people iirc. There were lawsuits for decades. Some years ago I got a voucher for $100US or so if I wanted to trade in mine for a newer model. Not really a consideration on some lonely track but passing through a busy metro area I'd want any unprotected fuel storage empty. I still have the truck and run the dual 30gallon tanks only half full when I'm using it as a daily driver. That way there's some room for compression in a strong side impact.
I'm not saying that there weren't issues with the tanks, however, NBC did have some "fake news" coverage even in the early 90's.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
NBC. Yuck. Definitely one of the broadcasters most prone to hyperbole and exaggeration in the US.

Also from the article...

"The Center for Auto Safety claims 300 deaths are attributable to the vehicles. That is more than 10 times the number killed in the Ford Pinto, which was recalled in the 1970s after the government determined that its fuel tank could explode in rear-end crashes."

They made 4.7 of them so maybe the odds aren't that bad. I don't think you can find fuel tanks outside the frame rails on any currently manufactured vehicle though but I could easily be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom