The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

External Jerry Cans - not on the roof

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
All of the regulation was driven by CARB compliance. I believe this includes the shut-off as a result of the Blitz lawsuit. Technically, filling of non-CARB can in a CARB-compliant State is forbidden. But I have never had issue with NATO Jerry cans, and personally would not use any other fuel container.
Just FYI: the U.S. military no longer uses NATO Jerry cans - not even in Europe when surrounded by NATO allies. I have spent quite a bit of time at the Ramstein Air Base, and there are no NATO cans anywhere. The U.S. military uses Scepter fuel containers. The plastic outperforms the old NATO steelies in a number of different ways. The Scepter are very strong, don't dent, and can take a bullet without igniting the fuel inside. The one downside - at least based on my experience - is that they seem to release a little more vapor than the NATO cans (at least the ones made by Wavian that are for sale in the U.S.). This would only matter if you are carrying them inside your vehicle - which just isn't a great idea no matter what cans you use. If I am correct about Scepter cans releasing a little more gas odor, then the Wavian/NATO cans are better for the environment. I'll try to confirm whether or not that is actually true...

Scepter fuel container:

Scepter_2.jpg
Scepter containers in action:

Scepter_1.png

Scepter website:

Offroad-Tec

Supporting Vendor
Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
Hello. where can I find the Jerry can holder mount plates? I went to you website but could not find it. Thank you.
Hello, we prepare a few product fotos of our demonstrator in a few days - than with our new roof rack FLATRACK. There are many products in the production - foldable sand ladder brackets, jerry can brackets (for Airlinesystem), MOLLE for Airline rails. .....

Regards - Markus

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Just FYI: the U.S. military no longer uses NATO Jerry cans - not even in Europe when surrounded by NATO allies. I have spent quite a bit of time at the Ramstein Air Base, and there are no NATO cans anywhere. The U.S. military uses Scepter fuel containers. The plastic outperforms the old NATO steelies in a number of different ways. The Scepter are very strong, don't dent, and can take a bullet without igniting the fuel inside. The one downside - at least based on my experience - is that they seem to release a little more vapor than the NATO cans (at least the ones made by Wavian that are for sale in the U.S.). This would only matter if you are carrying them inside your vehicle - which just isn't a great idea no matter what cans you use. If I am correct about Scepter cans releasing a little more gas odor, then the Wavian/NATO cans are better for the environment. I'll try to confirm whether or not that is actually true...

Scepter fuel container:

View attachment 7838863
Scepter containers in action:

View attachment 7838864

Scepter website:
Stickshifter - Great info and personal endorsement. I guess I am a bit skeptical about the government selection process. While it could be said there is an advantage to the Scepter material, I do not ever find myself in down range situations. I also have over 25 years personal use of Wavian NATO Jerry cans - for diesel, gasoline, and Avgas - without a single liquid or vapor release. To me, the Jerry is the 100% solution.

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello, we prepare a few product fotos of our demonstrator in a few days - than with our new roof rack FLATRACK. There are many products in the production - foldable sand ladder brackets, jerry can brackets (for Airlinesystem), MOLLE for Airline rails. .....

Regards - Markus
Please share your official website otherwise your shouting makes no sense at all.... :unsure:

Jetjockey

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I got the side carriers from Markus (www.offroad-tec.de) as a late Christmas present from my wife.
I combined them with an overland universal mounting plate to carry two 9l water cans. The very well made side carriers have slotted holes, but I had to drill one extra hole on each strut to perfectly align the plate vertically (no big deal as they're made from stainless steel). I'm very pleased with the outcome; especially considering the reasonable costs.
IMG20240108154047.jpgIMG20240108172021.jpg

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
Looks amazing. I've never seen black rotopax style cans with red fuel caps. Looks pretty good in your setup.

Last edited:

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got the side carriers from Markus (www.offroad-tec.de) as a late Christmas present from my wife.
I combined them with an overland universal mounting plate to carry two 9l water cans. The very well made side carriers have slotted holes, but I had to drill one extra hole on each strut to perfectly align the plate vertically (no big deal as they're made from stainless steel). I'm very pleased with the outcome; especially considering the reasonable costs.

Oh nice. Looks fantastic. :love: Love the low profile. How's the mirror side view?

Question ... I see the containers labelled "water" but I assume that has nothing to do with the plastic type or caps being unsuitable for fuel/vapours, etc?

Jetjockey

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Oh nice. Looks fantastic. :love: Love the low profile. How's the mirror side view?

Question ... I see the containers labelled "water" but I assume that has nothing to do with the plastic type or caps being unsuitable for fuel/vapours, etc?
The low profile makes for an excellent side view. I actually never thought about it since installation, so the view seems to be good.

Actually the plastic used for the water cans and the silicone seals are foodproof and not suitable for fuel. I think the only item, that is similar on both - the fuel and the water canisters - is the screw cap which doesn't get in contact with the fluid as you insert the spout into the can and secure it with the cap. Have a look on their website: https://overlandfuel.eu/

Jetjockey

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Looks amazing. I've never seen black rotopax style cans with red fuel caps. Looks pretty good in your setup.
Thanks. They offer red anodized aluminum caps too.
I just didn't order those, because I fear they might change hands frequently....

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the website. Looks like several high quality products.

*Google Chrome has a very effective translation function that works on this site for some the other English speakers.

Offroad-Tec

Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
We can combinate the shown brackets with a few other products:
MOLLE XL
Jerry can brackets
foldable sand ladder brackets (with table board)

OT_MOLLE_Grenadier_ (41).jpg

OT_MOLLE_Grenadier_ (49).jpg

Questions? Please ask!

Regards - Markus

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
Has any looked at Front Runner's Land Rover Defender Side Mount Jerry Can Holder yet to see if they will work on Grenadier. I really like to use Nato Cans since I am run over high altitude in the summer. This seam like simpler solution to carry and access them not on the roof. Might fit into airline rail on the side so no drilling.

jcho017_6.jpg

jcho017.1.jpgInstall instructions, https://content.frontrunneroutfitters.com/collateral/doc/F_JCHO017.pdf
More info https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/land-rover-defender-side-mount-jerry-can-holder.html

Back
Top Bottom