The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Getting Rip off by my dealer

Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
Pick up my Grenadier 02/06/2024, now my dealer is telling me now i have to pay for them to install my accessories, roof rack $1300 plus tax, checker plate $600 plus tax,
is there anyone who is have this same problem ? I am in south florida. please let me know.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Pick up my Grenadier 02/06/2024, now my dealer is telling me now i have to pay for them to install my accessories, roof rack $1300 plus tax, checker plate $600 plus tax,
is there anyone who is have this same problem ? I am in south florida. please let me know.
Which dealer?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is that many dealers are charging labor for install of certain accessories. The rates being charged vary, I’m assuming based on each dealers hourly shop rate.

Those prices seem rip-off high. My suggestion is to install them yourself rather than pay those outrageous prices.

carlg007

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, the other dealer in FL charges the famous dealer fee of $999 but not for the installation. The dealer is making a profit when you purchase the accessories plus I would imagine your paying full MSRP which has another mark up from invoice. At this point decline the accessories or install them yourself or walk away from your order. It is up to you if you think your being taken advantage of simply walk away! The dealer is capitalizing on the fact that you are wanting to buy more than they want to sell.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'd tell them to load my stuff in the back, buy a case of bud light and invite a friend over to lend a hand.

Of course, nothing would get done - so I'd say do this on a Saturday so that you have Sunday to actually get the stuff installed.

carlg007

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd tell them to load my stuff in the back, buy a case of bud light and invite a friend over to lend a hand.

Of course, nothing would get done - so I'd say do this on a Saturday so that you have Sunday to actually get the stuff installed.
That is exactly what I would do!

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That is exactly what I would do!
Yes! All of the instructions are available. The roof rack is modular and easy to assemble and install. The only time a second person will be needed is to lift the assembled rack onto the roof.

carlg007

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is that many dealers are charging labor for install of certain accessories. The rates being charged vary, I’m assuming based on each dealers hourly shop rate.

Those prices seem rip-off high. My suggestion is to install them yourself rather than pay those outrageous prices.
How much time do you think it takes to install a roof rack or cross bars and fender plates!

BillLumberg

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
I had to pay for the installation of the checker plates. It is my understanding that if it is ordered with the build, there is no installation charge. If you order it after the build, there is a charge.

carlg007

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had to pay for the installation of the checker plates. It is my understanding that if it is ordered with the build, there is no installation charge. If you order it after the build, there is a charge.
I remember hearing that too! Unfortunately we were told many things that just are not panning out.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How much time do you think it takes to install a roof rack or cross bars and fender plates!
Are you taking about to estimate labor rates to determine if you’re being charged fairly, or if you were to try and install them yourself?

For dealer, they should have something from IG that states install time and directions for each accessory. The dealer will probably use that multiplied by their hourly rate, regardless of whether it actually takes that much time.

I’ll add a caveat for this next part, and say I don’t have my Grenadier but I‘ve done lots of mods and installations of different farkles on my trucks and motorcycles over the years and that I’m not a complete noob. I actually like doing my own installs because I know it’ll get done right and I’m not under shop pressure to get the job done and out the door within a specified time frame.

If you’re talking about installing yourself, that’s gonna depend on your skill level with tools and putting stuff together. For the rack you’re gonna need at least one other person to help lift it on the roof. Adam’s suggestion of bribing a friend with beer is a great idea😂😂…although I’d buy something better than bud light😜😁. My guess is that the OEM rack will take between 2-4hrs.

The checker plates, from my understanding from the dealer, is that it comes with a template for drilling the holes, which is going to be the most stressful part IMO. But assuming you have a cordless drill, some metal drill bits, a rivet tool and good attention to detail, you’d be able to knock it out in 1 1/2- 2 1/2hrs. Generally once you do the first side, the second side takes much less time to do.

Local time
Reaction score
Everything was order with my build, but none of it was my car the day I pick it up, but the next day I did get a call saying the parts came in.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Everything was order with my build, but none of it was my car the day I pick it up, but the next day I did get a call saying the parts came in.
If you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself, I‘d pickup those boxes and find a reputable 4x4 shop and have them do it before paying your dealer. Or maybe there’s a forum member near you that’ll help.

Welcome to forum BTW. Pictures of your ride are welcome🤙🤙

carlg007

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself, I‘d pickup those boxes and find a reputable 4x4 shop and have them do it before paying your dealer. Or maybe there’s a forum member near you that’ll help.

Welcome to forum BTW. Pictures of your ride are welcome🤙🤙
The dealer also sells Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin, Lambo and Bentley. They cater to people who are not DIY. He should look for other options for installation as you suggested!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
is there anyone who is have this same problem ?
Not a "problem" per se, the dealer is allowed to charge what they want for the labor to install accessories, as they are the ones doing the work. Some don't charge, but make up for it in other fees along the way

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I cannot comment on what you're being charged but the items you mention are identified as dealer add-ons in the INEOS sales literature. I know that some dealers (maybe the other in Florida IIRC) are not charging for installation of accessories ordered when the vehicle itself was ordered. Likewise, I know that others are, and as they are independant franchises, they control the labor rates. I agree it sucks, but it was known this would be the case - any item with an * was labeled as a dealer install.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Dealer in CA sent a price list for accessory installation. If you scroll down to line 85 that gives you the hours/cost to install. Hope this helps -

Attachments

• INEOS Grenadier_MY24 Price List_USA_Version 2.0 11.1.23.xlsx
    39.1 KB · Views: 185

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dealer in CA sent a price list for accessory installation. If you scroll down to line 85 that gives you the hours/cost to install. Hope this helps -
Great addition to the discussion! Many of those prices seem quite reasonable and at the very least it gives @guyana some ammunition to fight the Florida man.

Back
Top Bottom