The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Fuel Tank - I found a clip...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:56 PM
Reaction score
Seems the LR legacy strikes again. Off the production line there would always be a spare rivet or two and plenty of swarf. If you were really lucky then a single nut, which you'd wonder whether it was a spare or something hadn't been fastened up...

I was checking out the fuel tank guard and inside the rear right hand side:
WP_20230521_013.jpg

I found this:
WP_20230521_018.jpgWP_20230521_019.jpg

So the questions are:

What is it off?
Is it a spare?

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
Same as clips used to hold hydraulic brake lines in place close to brake calipers.... normally at the junction where the rubber hose joins the solid metal brake line to caliper.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same as clips used to hold hydraulic brake lines in place close to brake calipers.... normally at the junction where the rubber hose joins the solid metal brake line to caliper.
Had a look around at the rear this afternoon and found these clips used, as per your post, in 4 locations. All my locations had a clip in situ - so hopefully this was a dropped extra one.

WP_20230605_018.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Whilst there I was impressed with the amount of room and access to the top connections to the fuel tank through the rear offside wheel arch (RHD):

WP_20230605_037.jpgWP_20230605_038.jpg

However, the end of the fuel filler pipe (circled in green) appeared to have been cut with a jagged piece of glass and so not seated fully to the fuel tank neck.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Whilst there I was impressed with the amount of room and access to the top connections to the fuel tank through the rear offside wheel arch (RHD):

View attachment 7814956View attachment 7814957

However, the end of the fuel filler pipe (circled in green) appeared to have been cut with a jagged piece of glass and so not seated fully to the fuel tank neck.
Does the tank still have a drain plug (and easy to access)? I recall this being mentioned as being on a PTO?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7814956View attachment 7814957

I wonder @DCPU did you note any possible mounting location down there for a twin compressor?

IMG_0198.jpeg

Local time
Reaction score
l wouldn't worry about the odd spare fastener, the person fitting them most likely dropped one.
Either that or they put a few down while they fitted them and left one behind.

On top of the chassis rail of my 2005 Defender l found a small pile of rusty clips.

The most surprising thing was, that they'd stayed there for 14 years and 130,000 miles.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does the tank still have a drain plug (and easy to access)? I recall this being mentioned as being on a PTO?
I'll check later today. Not noticed anything so far.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder @DCPU did you note any possible mounting location down there for a twin compressor?

View attachment 7815006
Not sure on the exact envelope matching that, or indeed if it would be the ideal position, but I was struck by the volume/void within the rear bumper end quarters. Even though we have plastic elements across most of the middle section, these sections are metal.

There's also a decent space, although access may be limited from below, adjacent to the AdBlue tank (more so, I guess, if you have a petrol engine).

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
l wouldn't worry about the odd spare fastener, the person fitting them most likely dropped one.
Either that or they put a few down while they fitted them and left one behind.

On top of the chassis rail of my 2005 Defender l found a small pile of rusty clips.

The most surprising thing was, that they'd stayed there for 14 years and 130,000 miles.
Yes, I don't mind them being there, that's not the problem. It's finding them that's the issue, especially on a brand new vehicle. It’s not always easy to say they are "spare".

I once found a large hammer left in the rear undertray of a Caterham and my Lotus came back from a service once with a small ratchet spanner engraved with "Daz" inside the front clam/splitter.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure on the exact envelope matching that, or indeed if it would be the ideal position, but I was struck by the volume/void within the rear bumper end quarters. Even though we have plastic elements across most of the middle section, these sections are metal.

There's also a decent space, although access may be limited from below, adjacent to the AdBlue tank (more so, I guess, if you have a petrol engine).
Thank you, they sound like suitable candidates.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:56 PM
Reaction score
These empty spaces are used by the owners of the original Defenders to add additional tanks or storage boxes accessible from the outside.

It seems that there are a lot of possibilities and solutions to discover. Also for the accessories manufacturers.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With all these hidden spaces, the south American drug smugglers could find the car very interesting, an upgrade form their Mitsubishi Pajero's

Back
Top Bottom