The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel tank

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
@OzyGrenie with the greatest respect I’ll offer a correction. However your basic message, which I read to be “this is potentially dangerous and should be taken seriously“ is spot on, so please don’t be offended by the specifics!

I’m tempted to think that LPG canisters are more of an issue than diesel jerries as these have more stringent standards.

In Australia anyway, carrying combustible fuel on the outside REAR of any vehicle or trailer is illegal, let alone dumb, on or off road.
This is incorrect. While specific legislation differs by State/Territory, the requirements are aligned at the national level by the National Transport Commission. Without restating, it basically says it needs to be carried in an ADR compliant container which is marked with it’s contents, and stored in a suitable holder (e.g no ADR for the holder).

I did a search and there are a few websites offering a review of the guidelines, however I haven’t found one that’s based on the current (ADG7) standardised national regime. Not that this is greatly different, it’s just that it’s aligned the requirements across the various State/Territory authorities.

In any case, any collision (which no one can guarantee not happening) its plain neglect let alone risk of injury to others.
It is definitely a risk.

The NSW guidelines by memory used to require the carriage of a suitable fire extinguisher, although I’m buggered if I can find the relevant guideline on the current SafeWork NSW website.

Lets just say you'd have no insurance or warranty
Incorrect, with the caveat that one would need to check one’s policy. Some insurers place limits on the amount that can be carried and how it is carried. If one conforms with these and other relevant conditions the claim will proceed as normal.

, or any valid argument in court of law.
Not a lawyer but one presumes that if one is transporting fuel within the NTC guidelines this will be unlikely to be a factor.

Just the fumes alone on impact are enough to explode.
The Code [rather exhaustively] classifies goods on this (combustibility) and other dimensions; and matches packing and transportation requirements accordingly. See below

YouTube is full of examples lacking common sense.
Could be. I’m guessing all the sensible folks are over on facebook.

Even diesel being less volatile, cant be carried on the rear.
Diesel is not classified as a dangerous good, although it is listed as a combustible liquid and accordingly must be carried in a compliant vessel in a suitable holder. A holder that is vulnerable to damage in the event of an accident is unlikely to meet that requirement, but mounting on the back or anywhere else is not in itself an issue.

Only other comment on this stuff is that RORO operators don’t like carrying fuel and/or gas canisters that have previously been used… so if you’re on that epic transatlantic trip be prepared to discard your canisters at your port of departure.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No necessarily true, you can carry LPG diesel and ULP- Legally, you can carry up to 250L of fuel in jerry cans on your vehicle (this includes your camper or caravan, too). There is no law against carrying fuel on the outside of your vehicle. Carrying ULP and LPG inside is another matter.
Meh, spot on. I’ll leave the answer-from-a-Risk-type up anyway, having spent fifteen minutes collating it.

Bazaboy69

Production/Transit
Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
I just filled my UK diesel grenadier from empty to full for the first time today. The fuel gauge had two little bars left and the computer said 10% fuel remaining and I got 92.37 litres in it. That's a big filler neck if it's only 90 litres. 460miles I got, works out at about 23mpg if anyone is interested, (it's only got 700 miles on it though)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
I just filled my UK diesel grenadier from empty to full for the first time today. The fuel gauge had two little bars left and the computer said 10% fuel remaining and I got 92.37 litres in it. That's a big filler neck if it's only 90 litres. 460miles I got, works out at about 23mpg if anyone is interested, (it's only got 700 miles on it though)
Petrol or diesel?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I spoke to John at https://www.browndavis.com.au/ and they are in the process of developing a fuel tank for the grenadier. Then expect to complete R&D in March24. I sent them and email to put my name on the waitlist.

Great that someone is now on board with a ext. tank.

I’ve seen a couple of instances of BD long range tanks having persistent leaks though, although I’m sure a company like that is all over getting that sorted.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Great that someone is now on board with a ext. tank.

I’ve seen a couple of instances of BD long range tanks having persistent leaks though, although I’m sure a company like that is all over getting that sorted.
Check out Overland Travellers channel - recent CSR trip leaky new BD tank ; now he's gone with LR.

michae1green

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom