The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Rear fuel filter on diesel – Australian spec INEOS

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
This is a picture of the rear fuel filter on the INEOS Australian spec diesel motor. EDIT: the diesel fuel water separator is standard in some countries and optional in others. When choosing a diesel motor if the option costs $0 dollars it is standard, if you have to pay it is optional. A little smaller than a Prevent 200 oil catch can (size comparison only). The type of plastic used was very similar to the material used in the Provent 200 Oil Catch Can.

The fuel in line and fuel out line are at the top of the filter and you cannot see them clearly in this image. It is hard place to get a decent photo.

The plug on the bottom is a AMPSEAL plug. I will tape up those exposed wires near the bottom of the image on the AMPSEAL plug. The ladder frame was red, the car was black.

Fuel filter located near rear wheel arch, passenger side (RHD car). You can only see it by getting under the car. You cannot see it by looking into the wheel arch over the tyre.

I could see any third party brand name on the filter case, but I could only see part of the case. White label has INEOS' name on it.

Fuel filter.jpg

Second fuel filter location
Thanks to @DenisM we have the location of the second fuel filter: "Slightly to the rear of the mid-line of the rear LHS passenger door. It's a cylinder -at a (very) rough guess about 50mm in diameter and about 120-150mm in length, retained in a white coloured plastic "saddle" clip which is screwed to a "vertical" surface... It's visible from the RHS although the view is partially restricted by a/the ?muffler."

Image here (thanks to @MarkH for the link). I am thinking a guard for that filter might be a good idea ( I have emailed KAON asking for one):
img_20230807_150142-jpg.7822578

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
This is a picture of the rear fuel filter on the INEOS Australian spec diesel motor. A little smaller than a Prevent 200 oil catch can (size comparison only). I will tape up those exposed wires near the bottom of the image.

Fuel filter located near rear wheel arch, passenger side (RHD car). You can only see it by getting under the car. You cannot see it by looking into the wheel arch over the tyre.

I could see any third party brand name on the filter case, but I could only see part of the case.

View attachment 7819963
this your Gren Doc?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The closest third party fuel/water separator I have found is the ACDelco® TP1014 - Professional™ Fuel Water Separator Diesel Filter more details here. Or it might be a custom filter from Hengst, origin still unknown.

There are differences, but I think I am on the right track. This is a GM fuel/water separator by ACDleco. Same material similar but not identical shape, eg AMPseal plug in different location to INEOS.
1689448414430.png

Last edited:

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is a picture of the rear fuel filter on the INEOS Australian spec diesel motor. A little smaller than a Prevent 200 oil catch can (size comparison only). The type of plastic used was very similar to the material used in the Provent 200 Oil Catch Can.

The fuel in line and fuel out line are at the top of the filter and you cannot see them clearly in this image. It is hard place to get a decent photo.

The plug on the bottom is a AMPSEAL plug. I will tape up those exposed wires near the bottom of the image on the AMPSEAL plug. The ladder frame was red, the car was black.

I could see any third party brand name on the filter case, but I could only see part of the case. White label has INEOS' name on it.

View attachment 7819963
Great pick up thanks, dealer wasn't able to tell me where this was but that was earlier this year. Wonder if it's a serviceable item or should I say how to service?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great pick up thanks, dealer wasn't able to tell me where this was but that was earlier this year. Wonder if it's a serviceable item or should I say how to service?
The INEOS rep told me the general location earlier this year, he was responsible for the ADR process.

When I could not see it from the wheel well we went under the car at that location. It was obvious once under the car.

I do not know service requirements, something I also wish to find out. It may not have a filter but we need to know how to drain water out.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The INEOS rep told me the general location earlier this year, he was responsible for the ADR process.

When I could not see it from the wheel well we went under the car at that location. It was obvious once under the car.

I do not know service requirements, something I also wish to find out. It may not have a filter but we need to know how to drain water out.
Thanks for the update @TheDocAUS ! Most useful👍Presuming the electrical contacts on the ACDelco example are for warning lights/ error messages/ fuel cut-off etc and there is a similar setup on the Gren
We not only need to know how it operates and service it, but may possibly need to carry a spare if the existing one becomes overloaded. I "suppose" it's location is to ensure it's out of harm's way
BTW: Good to see you're out and about!:)

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Article on diesel filteration, not IG specific, but informative. Read here. At least with the IG we get two filters and no warranty dramas.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the update @TheDocAUS ! Most useful👍Presuming the electrical contacts on the ACDelco example are for warning lights/ error messages/ fuel cut-off etc and there is a similar setup on the Gren
We not only need to know how it operates and service it, but may possibly need to carry a spare if the existing one becomes overloaded. I "suppose" it's location is to ensure it's out of harm's way
BTW: Good to see you're out and about!:)
Yes interested to know how they have set this up in terms of warnings, and how to drain it. Normally with aftermarket diesel filters with water separation there is a warning and a way to drain the water from the filter/separator?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Location of the 2nd fuel filter on the Aust spec diesel
When looking at the engine from the front of the car, it is on the right hand side of the motor back towards the firewall, then about half way down towards the bottom of the motor.

I have not seen it first hand but I was told by my Dealer.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Location of the 2nd fuel filter on the Aust spec diesel
When looking at the engine from the front of the car, it is on the right hand side of the motor back towards the firewall, then about half way down towards the bottom of the motor.

I have not seen it first hand but I was told by my Dealer.
I do believe the info above is describing the location of the oil filter. The main fuel filter is on the inside of the chassis rail (from memory passenger side for RHD) accessed from underneath the vehicle. Similar to BMW's.. it's a BMW filter..

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do believe the info above is describing the location of the oil filter. The main fuel filter is on the inside of the chassis rail (from memory passenger side for RHD) accessed from underneath the vehicle. Similar to BMW's.. it's a BMW filter..
Without seeing it, you may be right. The dealer did say he had not confirmed it himself but this is what he was told.

It is frustrating that something as simple as this remains a mystery.

Owners should be told where the fuel filters are (petrol and diesel), how they should be serviced, especially how to deal with water contamination. Same goes for the oil and air filter, but they are easier. We are not asking for people to walk on water!

Last edited:

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Without seeing it, you may be right. The dealer did say he had not confirmed it himself but thi sis what he was told.

It is frustrating that something as simple as this remains a mystery.

Owners should be told where the fuel filters are (petrol and diesel), how they should be serviced, especially how to deal with water contamination. Same goes for the oil and air filter, but they are easier. We are not asking for people to walk on water!
Yes, was a little while ago I visited a dealer with prototype and none was the wiser where filters were - early days so I got under and took a look. Couldn't find the secondary filter/water separator but know where it is now from here, just don't know how it needs to be serviced... yet..... all good. Boat lands in Port of Melbourne tomorrow so getting little closer. :D

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Ineos rep at the Mt Tambourine drive day said the inline fuel / water separator was under the vehicle in the vicinity of the rear passenger side seat. I didn’t look at the time and just took his word for it.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Ineos rep at the Mt Tambourine drive day said the inline fuel / water separator was under the vehicle in the vicinity of the rear passenger side seat. I didn’t look at the time and just took his word for it.
The picture in the first post shows where it is located. He was correct.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I decided to look at the BMW B57 diesel motor to see if I could work out where the second fuel filter is. If I found the correct motor the fuel filter is down under the motor. Easy access from under the car. I look forward to the service manual to confirm where it is on the INEOS.

BMW B57 Reliability & Common Issues
My time was not wasted, as I found a useful article on common issues with the BMW B57 diesel motor. Read here. I followed a similar maintenance regime with my old Nissan diesel motor.

Plus also useful engine information posted earlier here.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We now know the location of the second fuel filter, thanks to @DenisM here. Pretty much the same place I saw it on a BMW car.

Back
Top Bottom