The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Check engine light - fuel level sensor P0461

Robert T

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
I've filled up my tank 5 or 6 times but yesterday after filling up the check engine light came on. My dealer, Elliot Bay, informed me this has happened to a couple people when overfilling the gas tank. I did not overfill it, just let the gas pump shut off automatically. The code is P0461, which is for the fuel level sensor circuit. I was able to get the fault cleared at O'Reilly's since the dealer is over an hour away. I also noticed that when the check engine light is on the cruse control does not work. As soon as I got the fault cleared the cruise controls works again.

Not sure if all new cars have a fuel level sensor but I didn't have one in my LR4, that I'm aware of, so first time having to be concerned about overfilling.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
I've filled up my tank 5 or 6 times but yesterday after filling up the check engine light came on. My dealer, Elliot Bay, informed me this has happened to a couple people when overfilling the gas tank. I did not overfill it, just let the gas pump shut off automatically. The code is P0461, which is for the fuel level sensor circuit. I was able to get the fault cleared at O'Reilly's since the dealer is over an hour away. I also noticed that when the check engine light is on the cruse control does not work. As soon as I got the fault cleared the cruise controls works again.

Not sure if all new cars have a fuel level sensor but I didn't have one in my LR4, that I'm aware of, so first time having to be concerned about overfilling.
This has happened to me in the past with another vehicle where I was told over-filling was the cause. But, it turned out to be a bad gas cap - maybe check that and make sure it clicks shut several times.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just read this about an hour ago, then left to go get the Grenadier from the tint shop. I drive back to the office, stopping to fill up on the way back. Boom check engine light.
This thread jinxed me! I did squeeze the handle at least once after the pump shut off.
Back at the office I re-opened and closed the gas cap. If the code doesn't clear on my 2 mile drive home, I will scan it and clear it at home.

Bottom line, 725 miles in, 2nd week of ownership - I still love this thing.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Plus it's habit from filling up my 200 series cruiser. I have a 40 gal aux tank that some pumps click off early with. So, go from a couple of giggles to just playing with it. :p

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score
My petrol Grenadier has been filled up to the brim on most occasions I go to fuel stations in southern African countries, it seems to be the norm to get as much as possible in. Never had a problem so far. In fact only yesterday filled right up to the filler cap and all good 👍🏼

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
I fill the tank by ear (it's a series Landy thing)
I also tune carbs by ear.
Never had a check engine light come on , anywhere ever!
I think @Tazzieman that this is a petrol specific issue, maybe due to the expansion of ULP

Reactions: PBD

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
What does overfilling mean?
I always fill in the extra 2 and a half litres after the first automatic stop. I did so with every car I owned and never had a bigger problem than spilling petrol or diesel when I did not concentrated on the filling.
Never had a problem with any sensor.
(My one is a diesel)

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score
What does overfilling mean?
I always fill in the extra 2 and a half litres after the first automatic stop. I did so with every car I owned and never had a bigger problem than spilling petrol or diesel when I did not concentrated on the filling.
Never had a problem with any sensor.
(My one is a diesel)
That's what I do, fill till I see fuel in the filler neck. Usually get that extra 1/2 gallon in.

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My check engine light came on yesterday and I scanned and got the same fault code for Fuel Level Sensor IMG_0072.jpeg

I haven’t filled up recently though, had 3/4 of a tank when it came on

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's what I do, fill till I see fuel in the filler neck. Usually get that extra 1/2 gallon in.
Always done that with the '96 Discovery and the '22 Tiguan (both gas) and no issues. Fill the "G" till I could see the gas just the other day and no warning light.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My check engine light came on yesterday and I scanned and got the same fault code for Fuel Level Sensor View attachment 7841487

I haven’t filled up recently though, had 3/4 of a tank when it came on
Someone posted a very similar "picture" mid/late last week listing 3 "warnings" and the engine symbol. Can't recall more :( .

MMICHAELS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
This just happened to me. 971 miles in and the check engine light came on. Didnt overfill - just let it click off.

I am 5 minutes from the dealership, but man this triggered my Land Rover PTSD HARD.

Back
Top Bottom