The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Check engine light - fuel level sensor P0461

wbaxley

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
I've filled up my tank 5 or 6 times but yesterday after filling up the check engine light came on. My dealer, Elliot Bay, informed me this has happened to a couple people when overfilling the gas tank. I did not overfill it, just let the gas pump shut off automatically. The code is P0461, which is for the fuel level sensor circuit. I was able to get the fault cleared at O'Reilly's since the dealer is over an hour away. I also noticed that when the check engine light is on the cruse control does not work. As soon as I got the fault cleared the cruise controls works again.

Not sure if all new cars have a fuel level sensor but I didn't have one in my LR4, that I'm aware of, so first time having to be concerned about overfilling.
Same thing happened to me today. Taking to dealer next week to clear

wbaxley

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me today when gassed up. Taking to dealer next week to clear

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
Same scenario. Filled up 5-6 times, no issues, filled up, started IG and CEL came on. It appears that after I filling up with gas I had unlimited range, as the fuel gauge did not move and the average expected milage was stuck at 270.

I fueled up, I cleared the CEL, and I reset the center display. The fuel gauge worked (maybe), average expected milage started to work again. Drove the IG this morning and it appears to be stuck again, both the gauge and the expected milage at 260.

I will be driving a distance today, relying on my odometer to determine fuel levels.

mburke019

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
O.M.G! Same thing has happened to me twice. I've been waiting 2 weeks for my dealer in Houston to get a response from Ineos on a fix. It's slightly frustrating as cruise control doesn't work. The first time around, I was told the warning was "fuel deviation" caused by a filling up with lower octane fuel - strange as I have only ever used premium 93.

MMICHAELS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
O.M.G! Same thing has happened to me twice. I've been waiting 2 weeks for my dealer in Houston to get a response from Ineos on a fix. It's slightly frustrating as cruise control doesn't work. The first time around, I was told the warning was "fuel deviation" caused by a filling up with lower octane fuel - strange as I have only ever used premium 93.
They told me the same thing, and then Trevor in service said this is a known issue, waiting for software update. Lucky for me, I'm 5 minutes from the dealer. Only happened once, but I have not been "topping it off" since i estimate the total gallons to full and stop shy of it.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I cleared the code with my code reader and it hasn’t returned since. Talked to the dealer and they said that once cleared it doesn’t seem to reappear (at least mine hasn’t). I had the same Land Rover PTSD initially as well. My advice would be to take to an Auto Zone or PepBoys and have them clear the code.

Mbogo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same issue here. Light on after first fill up and cruise control not working. Dealer is 2 hours away. Several have mentioned "clearing with code reader". And someone mentioned O'Reilly's. Any suggestions on where I could take it besides dealer, that would have a code reader and ability to clear? Do typical auto supply shops like Advance Auto, etc.. have those and provide that service?

Mbogo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Andiamo. Looks like you answered my question as I was asking it. Another reason to say "Hon, heading to AutoZone for a few things."

Jhrogers

Overland Garage 4x4
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:39 AM
Reaction score
My petrol Grenadier has been filled up to the brim on most occasions I go to fuel stations in southern African countries, it seems to be the norm to get as much as possible in. Never had a problem so far. In fact only yesterday filled right up to the filler cap and all good 👍🏼
My petrol IG has not had this problem either — yet…

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
:mad: Refueled this morning and CEL on. I have a scan tool and I’ll clear it. Does clearing it really fix the problem? @Andiamo same here with the LR PTSD. Was without my LR4 for well over a month last year while the dealership techs were chasing down the source. They would have me pick it up and the next day same code same problem.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Clearing it does not fix the problem. To my understanding the problem is a software issue that may eventually be resolved.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I took her on the first off-road adventure yesterday and the range estimation was all over the place. Had the code later that evening after filling up gas. Also, I only filled up to about half tank.

Attachments

• IMG_4944.JPG
    IMG_4944.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @[ Adam ] Cleared code with ultraguage tool. My LR iCarsoft tool wouldn’t sync.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My petrol Grenadier has been filled up to the brim on most occasions I go to fuel stations in southern African countries, it seems to be the norm to get as much as possible in. Never had a problem so far. In fact only yesterday filled right up to the filler cap and all good 👍🏼
I've essentially "filled to the brim" with some gas getting out and never had this issue. Had a few other quirky things but they go away 😂 .

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same scenario. Filled up 5-6 times, no issues, filled up, started IG and CEL came on. It appears that after I filling up with gas I had unlimited range, as the fuel gauge did not move and the average expected milage was stuck at 270.

I fueled up, I cleared the CEL, and I reset the center display. The fuel gauge worked (maybe), average expected milage started to work again. Drove the IG this morning and it appears to be stuck again, both the gauge and the expected milage at 260.

I will be driving a distance today, relying on my odometer to determine fuel levels.
Update: The CEL has not come on since I cleared it. The fuel gauge is still not working properly to include all calculations of range, MPG, average expected milage, etc... The fuel gauge moves but only after the IG consumes 6 gallons of gas, then it starts to move. This morning I filled up, 17.3 gallons to fill the tank. Prior to filling, the fuel gauge indicated a little less than half a tank of gas. By my calculations the fuel gauge should have been at a quarter tank before filling up. I believe the fuel gauge it is off by 6 gallons.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:39 AM
Reaction score
I've filled up my tank 5 or 6 times but yesterday after filling up the check engine light came on. My dealer, Elliot Bay, informed me this has happened to a couple people when overfilling the gas tank. I did not overfill it, just let the gas pump shut off automatically. The code is P0461, which is for the fuel level sensor circuit. I was able to get the fault cleared at O'Reilly's since the dealer is over an hour away. I also noticed that when the check engine light is on the cruse control does not work. As soon as I got the fault cleared the cruise controls works again.

Not sure if all new cars have a fuel level sensor but I didn't have one in my LR4, that I'm aware of, so first time having to be concerned about overfilling.
Hi Robert T, My 1957 VW Van had a handle towards the bottom of the front seat that you would turn when you ran out of gas. You would get another 30 miles to get to a gas station. Perhaps it's time for the Grenadier to incorporate this. ;)
DaBull

Back
Top Bottom