The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Factory fitted auxiliary battery in the trialmaster

robertlorefice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the auxiliary battery is only there to assist the main starter battery. It is not connected to any of the auxiliary outlets. I have added an Anderson Plug to the Smartpass consumer outlet.
I’m confused why this would be wired up like this? I to did a test after running my fridge to find out everything runs off the start battery. I’m assuming the c-TEK connects the two if the battery voltage is low on the start battery then resumes charging?

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and curious about other opinions. First I thought why did they do it this way? I want to use my secondary battery to run stuff until it is at its lowest safe level to not damage the battery. Then i have my main battery ready to go. The way INEOS have configured the setup is that you deplete your starter battery running stuff but you have your secondary battery to start the car. The point is, does it really matter which battery is being depleted when at the end of the day you have another battery to start the vehicle?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and curious about other opinions. First I thought why did they do it this way? I want to use my secondary battery to run stuff until it is at its lowest safe level to not damage the battery. Then i have my main battery ready to go. The way INEOS have configured the setup is that you deplete your starter battery running stuff but you have your secondary battery to start the car. The point is, does it really matter which battery is being depleted when at the end of the day you have another battery to start the vehicle?
Only if one of them is isolated so that it doesn’t get below a certain voltage so it can always start the vehicle. The point of a standard isolated aux system is the starter is never drained by aux uses, so is never effected by aux loads. I’m not sure that is the case with the IG system but someone will chime in soon I suspect.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
I use the standard wiring layout, until now, even the car started with battery less than 50% SOC….In case of not, I have a jumpstarter in the boot

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
Only if one of them is isolated so that it doesn’t get below a certain voltage so it can always start the vehicle. The point of a standard isolated aux system is the starter is never drained by aux uses, so is never effected by aux loads. I’m not sure that is the case with the IG system but someone will chime in soon I suspect.
This works in the Grenadier, if you wire all your added items to the aux battery. As standard all outlets/plugs/etc will only draw from the main battery. While the CTEK isolator allows for a 10 sec. connection from aux to main (for emergency starting), I definitely couldn't bring myself to rely on that any more than running a single battery and having a small lithium jumpstart pack.

Bluntly, if you want to add accessories with the dual batteries, take the time to wire them appropriately to the aux battery.

Last edited:
Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Bluntly, if you want to add accessories with the dual batteries, take the time to wire them appropriately to the aux battery.

Is the Grenny charging the aux now then ?
If/when the main is above 85% ....

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
Is the Grenny charging the aux now then ?
If/when the main is above 85% ....
The CTEK has no idea about a true state of charge for either battery, only voltage. Once the main battery reaches the appropriate voltage range, it connects the two batteries so they share the charge from the alternator

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't add an anderson plug without a good shunt (to monitor the auxiliary battery such as temp etc) as currently there is no monitoring from factory. Plus the need to add (at a minimum), a battery management system ( BMS) via a good DC to DC charger etc.. Then isolate with separate fuse block and isolator switch. A good 210 amp hr SLIMLINE lithium battery replaces the current auxiliary battery adding a decent DC to DC Charger with a 240v inverter. Then 300w solar and an external plug for charging while stationary. About $5k.

Back
Top Bottom