The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Drive Modes in Grenadier "Aka Offroad / Onroad, Sporty.. "

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:58 AM
Reaction score
@emax suggested to have this as a generic topic - not in a private conversation.

I was asked if Grenadier has "Drive" modes like e.g. my current Discovery Sport - such as Eco, Standard On Road, Grass / Gravel / Snow, Mud / Sand

In fact no.
The only function is Downhill Assist.
The Grenadier is very back to puristic in this function - and the only offroad sport programme is drivers training & experience.
Plan the road, perhaps use a drone to fly ahead on unknown terrain, - Get your eyes, use your bum, read the ground ahead
and switch right in time to low, and use the locks. and be smooth with the pedals and steering..
It expects you to know what your are doing

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:58 AM
Reaction score
The topic is - old school off roaders are absolutely rare. - The Gren is probably unique here.
Indeed the drive mode capability is so common - and the drive electronics.. so it is expected as common standard.
Not in a real offroader - the decision making there belongs to the captain in command.
Facts.. Options, Decision Execution. Review.. - Yess -- managed .. or of fck I need the winch.. or support by 3rd..

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
“Sport mode”, is selecting “manual” on the shifter. I believe you you need to push/pull it to the left. How awesome is that?
No, that's manual mode.
I asked about a sports mode, which is available on the gearbox/shifter and engine combo from BMW but Ineos opted not to have one.

Reactions: Max

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If I wanted a brick with sports mode I'd buy a used G wagen. But the quilted leather is naff.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We’re talking about two functionalities here - 1. toggle-able engine/gearbox map (eco/standard); and 2. terrain-adjustable traction management (sand/mud ruts etc). Albeit some of the present systems somewhat blur the line.

I also enjoy the driver engagement that results with absence of a terrain system.
Having two maps available (maximised for torque vs economy, or for example normal use vs high altitude) appeals all the same.

Not sure the whole middle-aged bloke flex applies with the mapping, at least while an auto gearbox is mandatory. Throttle control/Holding gears only goes so far, at some point one wants a richer mix.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The X3 has economy - comfort - sport modes and I use all three from time to time. Economy on the highway, sport in hilly county, and comfort day to day.
I’ve noted previously @DaveB has said he puts his in sport as soon as he gets in the car.
Whilst all that functionality is a nice to have, one could live without it by just driving the way you want to based on how much loud pedal you use, although the responsiveness of sportier mapping is harder to achieve just with throttle input.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The X3 has economy - comfort - sport modes and I use all three from time to time. Economy on the highway, sport in hilly county, and comfort day to day.
I’ve noted previously @DaveB has said he puts his in sport as soon as he gets in the car.
Whilst all that functionality is a nice to have, one could live without it by just driving the way you want to based on how much loud pedal you use, although the responsiveness of sportier mapping is harder to achieve just with throttle input.
Mine remaps gearbox, throttle response, min, max rpm,
Totally different vehicle in economy compared to sport.

Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
You all understand this isn’t a new defender or a cayenne right. Both are nice for what they are. I drive a cayenne for work. I hope this vehicle never turns in to the off road/mall crawler you’re describing.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
You boys should try a Volvo XC40 twin EV in sports mode.
It's quite entertaining! It wants to do wheelies. Quite silly really for an old person's car.
And we've had it on some bad roads in offroad mode

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You all understand this isn’t a new defender or a cayenne right. Both are nice for what they are. I drive a cayenne for work. I hope this vehicle never turns in to the off road/mall crawler you’re describing.
I will be polishing my wheels and crawling to the coffee shop at the mall every weekend.
Then I shall go to cars & coffee.
I certainly won't be taking it near any mud or dust.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I will be polishing my wheels and crawling to the coffee shop at the mall every weekend.
Then I shall go to cars & coffee.
Isn't cars and coffee about classic cars?
I refer to it as the Prostate Club.
99% senior gentlemen , parked close to the loos.
I parked my S3 Landy there once , unwashed , got there before everyone , some disgusted looks and comments ensued
It is in a posh suburb though.
Classic!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't cars and coffee classic about cars?
I refer to it as the Prostate Club.
99% senior gentlemen , parked close to the loos.
I parked my S3 Landy there once , unwashed , got there before everyone , some disgusted looks and comments ensued
It is in a posh suburb though.
Classic!
It wasn't your car getting disgusted looks.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a separate selector for dynamic active suspension which gets hit immediately also
C’mon @DaveB, sport mode plus dynamic active suspension might say Baby Driver, but your ~5L/100km claimed elsewhere rather suggests Driving Miss Daisy. Perhaps you have an Energy Polarizer installed?

Back
Top Bottom