The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Drive Modes

caalm

Production/Transit
Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

On the gear shifter you can see manual and S for sport (same on all ZF boxes).

Does anyone know if there are drive modes? Like comfort, eco, sport, race - not that race would be applicable but that's some of the options in other cars.

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:55 PM
Reaction score
For me these three cases are all I need:
- automatic (as the standard)
- manual (as I want to choose the gear) and
- "S" means for me that the transmission keeps the lower gear as long as possible, it doesn´t change all the times when you use a heavy trailer or your full payload.
PLEASE NO ECO-SPORT-COMFORT-RACE or other games in that kind! Thank you! :cool:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
Well I have driven one and all there is is drive reverse and push to the right for manual up and down selection in the auto shifter works very well no sport mode etc
If I recall correctly, it's been said that in manual the gear will be held and not change on its own. I assume there's some level of safety so you don't blow up the engine, but that way if you're in 1-low you can confidently engine break down an incline without the trans jumping to 2nd or 3rd. Not sure if I've explained that well, but it made sense to me 🤣

caalm

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, it's been said that in manual the gear will be held and not change on its own. I assume there's some level of safety so you don't blow up the engine, but that way if you're in 1-low you can confidently engine break down an incline without the trans jumping to 2nd or 3rd. Not sure if I've explained that well, but it made sense to me 🤣
Yes that's true. I guess it stays manual until it realises you no longer want to stay in manual 😄 the amarok will rev it's nuts off and then suddenly change up. I can't imagine it would be good for it though.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
my F-Type which has the ZF box has two levels of manual change, the first one will hold the gear till close to the redline but will change before you exceed it. But it also has a “ok we warned you but now you are on your own” mode that lets you go over if you want to. Doubt there would be a justification to allow that in a Grenadier though.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
my F-Type which has the ZF box has two levels of manual change, the first one will hold the gear till close to the redline but will change before you exceed it. But it also has a “ok we warned you but now you are on your own” mode that lets you go over if you want to. Doubt there would be a justification to allow that in a Grenadier though.
I'm not so sure. This fully manual mode is the better solution operating under load at high altitude, which the Magna engineers will be aware of.
From various conversations I understand that this was how the prototypes were setup but whether this made it through into production is unclear.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. This fully manual mode is the better solution operating under load at high altitude, which the Magna engineers will be aware of.
From various conversations I understand that this was how the prototypes were setup but whether this made it through into production is unclear.
Fair point, although In have to say I have once or twice in the super sport mode accidentally exceeded the red line when I didn’t intend to and on balance I would probably prefer to have some protection against that. While there might be a justification to be able to briefly go over in an extreme situation, but there is no way I would want to be regularly exceeding it or doing it for an extended period of time.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fair point, although In have to say I have once or twice in the super sport mode accidentally exceeded the red line when I didn’t intend to and on balance I would probably prefer to have some protection against that. While there might be a justification to be able to briefly go over in an extreme situation, but there is no way I would want to be regularly exceeding it or doing it for an extended period of time.
Yeah, this is definitely Khargush Pass/weather approaching/don’t-let-me-down type stuff, although you find similar hold-the-gear operating requirements in soft (eg Kara-Kum) deserts, where the entire surface is powdery (think bull dust/fesh-fesh) as opposed to sandy. I can’t think of anywhere in Oz where it’d be necessary, though.

Anyway, when you need it (full driver control of the gear change that is) you need it. It was a PITA with our DS because although the LR Terrain Control system is excellent, these situations are clearly outside the design parameters and the ’manual’ overide is insufficiently manual/doesn’t.

I’m really hoping this is a vehicle made for overlanders where this stuff crops up.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Manual override is essential for towing heavy trailers, especially for preserving brakes over time. The TDV8 RRS I tow with atm has column mounted paddle shifters and they're very useful for this

Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
Well. Once again on this forum people are overthinking everything. Steering wheel., gas pedal, brakes. If you understand and listen to your vehicle you don’t need drive modes. Back to basics. 10/2 Look mirror. 🤪

Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
Well. Once again on this forum people are overthinking everything. Steering wheel., gas pedal, brakes. If you understand and listen to your vehicle you don’t need drive modes. Back to basics. 10/2 Look mirror. 🤪
In little old Adelaide South Australia southeastern freeway descending the piddly 2000ft Mt Lofty, I use 2nd gear and try not to touch the brakes towing my 2.8 tonne caravan, many people have problems on that, let alone the giant mountains in the US if you don't use your gears on one of your 10,000ft plus mountains over there you would be inviting tragedy.

caalm

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the options where, because if there were modes (doesn't look like it) it would mean I could have my exhaust valves (yes don't judge me for me) tuned to those modes. But it looks like I'll just have them on a switchable map.

Back
Top Bottom