The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff locks.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
I think there’s a bit of confusion regarding the lockers. As in my earlier post the indicator lights have little relation to the lockers themselves. I have used them in anger several times now and found that the lockers engage pretty much instantly. They also disengage quickly. The indicator lights however are a different story. Best just to ignore them. You know when the lockers aren’t engaged as one wheel will spin while the other doesn’t. And you’ll know when they are as the car won’t want to go round corners.
Just like a series Land Rover 😁

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly, and they do just fine without HDC.
You're not wrong there!
If you wished , you could actually get out , light a ciggies and walk alongside , like in that old LR film.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
yes i must admit i dont understand the need for hdc when you have low range gearing
It works impressively well when coming down very slippery (in my use case, snow over dirt) hills. Honestly worked better than any of us on the drive team using manual braking on steep drops

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, HDC was a JLR thing because the Freelander/LR2 did not have a transfer case and therefor had no low gears to engine break down hills. My understanding is that it worked very well and that JLR licensed the technology to other manufacturers.

1698845736065.png

Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
Yes, but the speed 6 km/h is too much in real off-road conditions. Execpt for testing I never have used it. And I don't know anyone else using it. We have slippery downhills sure, but use low first (manual) and engine braking (diesel), usually no brakes needed to assist.

Perhaps it is useful on some conditions.

Local time
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, HDC was a JLR thing because the Freelander/LR2 did not have a transfer case and therefor had no low gears to engine break down hills. My understanding is that it worked very well and that JLR licensed the technology to other manufacturers.

View attachment 7831407
Is it a Bosch thing?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, but the speed 6 km/h is too much in real off-road conditions. Execpt for testing I never have used it. And I don't know anyone else using it. We have slippery downhills sure, but use low first (manual) and engine braking (diesel), usually no brakes needed to assist.

Is it not adjustable on the Gren ?

I had a Disco 5 that would go down to 1mph and my Amarok will go slower using it when I depress the brakes, it then seems to match whatever speed I was doing when I lift the peddle.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:11 PM
Reaction score
Is it not adjustable on the Gren ?

I had a Disco 5 that would go down to 1mph and my Amarok will go slower using it when I depress the brakes, it then seems to match whatever speed I was doing when I lift the peddle.
It is adjustable with the +/- buttons on the steering wheel. Very easy to handle.

Local time
Reaction score
Have not yet seen a Disco 5 in the forest. Would like to see :)
Disco 3 several times and once D4, RR Sport and L322.

Engine braking is obviously not used anymore. Relying only on brakes. But how does it clear an obstacle that will stop the car? It is possible also going downhill.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
It is adjustable with the +/- buttons on the steering wheel. Very easy to handle.

Thanks I thought it was, it was the 6 kph comment that threw me.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:11 PM
Reaction score
yes i must admit i dont understand the need for hdc when you have low range gearing
On my Grenadier event last weekend, the Dutch instructor, a "real" 4x4 expert, told us the Hill Descent Control was just faster and more accurate than any human being could be!
I repeat, the guy is a real expert!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another relevant and timely Robert Pepper video. Hill descent, the importance of wheel speed, crawl ratios. Part 2 of the off-road wagon test.
Link
That's interesting
The weight may go against the Grenadier a bit.
I calculated mine with all accessories, a full tank and myself behind the wheel to be around 2,950 kgs.
So 3 tonne when my wife gets in.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's interesting
The weight may go against the Grenadier a bit.
I calculated mine with all accessories, a full tank and myself behind the wheel to be around 2,950 kgs.
So 3 tonne when my wife gets in.
Actually given it is probably the heaviest, it smashed it. Last (ie. best) by a country mile. The other three had parked up and put the kettle on before the IG got to the bottom.

We may have to change the name to Genadier Crawlmaster.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Actually given it is probably the heaviest, it smashed it. Last (ie. best) by a country mile. The other three had parked up and put the kettle on before the IG got to the bottom.

We may have to change the name to Genadier Crawlmaster.
Yeah mate but can she do Gunshot Creek eh

Local time
Reaction score

Low range in the Grenadier is 2.5:1 - and in the gas Grenadier, the engine, with this low range ratio, does not provide great braking while going down steep hills off-road. I'm sure you are right that the diesel does a better job holding down the speed.

Ineos likes to point out that the 2.5:1 ratio lets you go pretty fast in low-range, but I don't need to go fast in low range. I need low range to keep me moving slow while descending steep rocky terrain. With an 8-speed transmission, the best low range ratio for my use is 4.0:1. With this low of a low-range, I can still go plenty fast in 8th gear in low range, but I can also crawl super-slow down a steep slope without touching the brakes, and without using HDC.

Back
Top Bottom