The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Diesel or Petrol

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
This Harry's video on JCB hydrogen research is good news. Sounds like hydrogen motors are really close to production. Also gives hope that retrofitting a hydrogen engine into a current ICE vehicle could be a good option going forward. I know INEOS is also working on this path. Lots of hope for the future of ICE power!

View: https://youtu.be/jxtxZY45RMM

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It seems that one major hurdle with hydrogen is not just the technology (which gets closer and closer), but the infrastructure and lack of hydrogen filling stations. Outside of California, stations that are designed for automotive filling are few and far between. Compound that with our government's tunnel vision on EVs, and the impetus to truly push forward building-up for hydrogen is stunted.

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
It seems that one major hurdle with hydrogen is not just the technology (which gets closer and closer), but the infrastructure and lack of hydrogen filling stations. Outside of California, stations that are designed for automotive filling are few and far between. Compound that with our government's tunnel vision on EVs, and the impetus to truly push forward building-up for hydrogen is stunted.
That is the conclusion that Harry and Lord B came to as well.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
There are many major hurdles for hydrogen. There is the thermodynamic inefficiency of producing it using electricity. However production using carbon sequestration from natural gas may solve it. Then there are the issues of economic storage and transport. The ICE issues are minor compared to the above. I think it will be a very expensive fuel.

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
There was a 7 series hydrogen model years ago, but burning hydrogen is way way less efficient than using a fuel cell. The sums don’t add up.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are many major hurdles for hydrogen. There is the thermodynamic inefficiency of producing it using electricity. However production using carbon sequestration from natural gas may solve it. Then there are the issues of economic storage and transport. The ICE issues are minor compared to the above. I think it will be a very expensive fuel.
2 + 2 = ? The greenhouse gases-into-cocktails economy is one that I’d missed.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
2 + 2 = ? The greenhouse gases-into-cocktails economy is one that I’d missed.

What are they using for energy to create these fuels? Especially in a war environment.
Jet fuel and diesel are already pretty close chemically, pretty easy to convert to diesel.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What are they using for energy to create these fuels? Especially in a war environment.
Jet fuel and diesel are already pretty close chemically, pretty easy to convert to diesel.
This stuff is in the research phase, I'll link something if I come across it in the public domain.

Setting Defence to one side, the wider circular carbon economy proposals typically presume biomass power generation makes a major contribution to renewable energy supply, with in-process carbon capture. This being a more realistic alternative to the yield and continuity (or lack of) from wind/solar etc.

Biomass power comes with its own issues, and has not yet been demonstrated at scale. I wouldn't write ICEs off just yet however.

Back
Top Bottom