The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Another Diesel VS Petrol thread

Joergchm

Contract Signed
Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
I've followed already the other two very interesting "Diesel or Petrol for traveling" discussions but missed some other important questions:

I'm currently in the same boat on deciding Diesel vs Petrol. I did yesterday a 3h testdrive with the Petrol and was overall super happy with the engine.
My big problem was the expected reach of only 450Km....our goal is to travel mainly in Europe moslty offroad and a 450km reach is here really not a great experience.

Question for the community:

Did someone drove already both engines and is able to descripe their findings? --> e.g. I would expect a reach of about 900km with the Diesel? Overtaking a car I guess is better with the Petrol?
Is there any technical advance at one of the engines? ----> e.g. what about the heating? Is there any additonal heating element which helps to get the car faster warm at the Diesel?

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
I have test driven both petrol and Diesel and although the petrol is slightly quicker the Diesel is very close, they even sound very similar. I have a Diesel on order. I think the extra range and stronger gearbox wins out especially when they cost the same amount.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Our decision come down to towing + economy. The diesel wins both for our plans. Real world range seems to heavily favor the diesel. Australian fuel is also expensive still, so the diesel again swayed us in that regard.

Lou

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
I have test driven both petrol and Diesel and although the petrol is slightly quicker the Diesel is very close, they even sound very similar. I have a Diesel on order. I think the extra range and stronger gearbox wins out especially when they cost the same amount.
What do you mean by stronger gearbox for the diesel?

Lou

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've followed already the other two very interesting "Diesel or Petrol for traveling" discussions but missed some other important questions:

I'm currently in the same boat on deciding Diesel vs Petrol. I did yesterday a 3h testdrive with the Petrol and was overall super happy with the engine.
My big problem was the expected reach of only 450Km....our goal is to travel mainly in Europe moslty offroad and a 450km reach is here really not a great experience.

Question for the community:

Did someone drove already both engines and is able to descripe their findings? --> e.g. I would expect a reach of about 900km with the Diesel? Overtaking a car I guess is better with the Petrol?
Is there any technical advance at one of the engines? ----> e.g. what about the heating? Is there any additonal heating element which helps to get the car faster warm at the Diesel?
Double the range from a Diesel? And yes Petrol better for overtaking, but limited range for both is an issue. Aux fuel tank will be needed for both.

Lou

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Diesel has a ZF8HP76 is rated for 760Nm. The petrol ZF8HP51 is rated for 500Nm. bring the same price the Diesel does seem better value.
Ok thanks. Diesel does have the higher torque engine so makes sense but given most of my k‘s will be on long bitumen and I need to overtake I went for petrol.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Diesel does have the higher torque engine so makes sense but given most of my k‘s will be on long bitumen and I need to overtake I went for petrol.
I have yet to see any 30-70 times, when driving them they seemed very similar once moving - mind you both are a lot quicker than my TD5 Defender, overtaking will be a whole new experience!!

Joergchm

Contract Signed
Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
Ohhh I was not aware about the different Gearboxes! Very interesting!

Any infoarmation about the "heater"....I'm pretty sure there should be a seperate heater for the Diesel

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ohhh I was not aware about the different Gearboxes! Very interesting!

Any infoarmation about the "heater"....I'm pretty sure there should be a seperate heater for the Diesel
I think the heaters are the same, I will tell you next winter!!!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately the guy in the Diesel will go past again while you are in the servo filling the petrol back up

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Picked up my diesel Grenadier yesterday, first impressions on the diesel vs the petrol….
I have been driving the petrol version for a month or so, I really liked it. I liked it to the extent that I worried that when I finally got in my car I wouldn’t like the diesel. I needn’t have worried.
The diesel is slightly noisier, but you can feel the extra torque it changes up quicker and so the noise is less of an issue than you’d think. Power wise under normal driving conditions they feel the same, I really haven’t missed the extra Hp. I guess if you go foot to the floor you’ll notice, but I only ever did that a handful of times in the petrol. They both feel plenty powerful enough.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
Petrol. Simpler, smoother, quieter, more powerful, just a more refined ride.
Oh, and thirstier.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
The Diesel has a ZF8HP76 is rated for 760Nm. The petrol ZF8HP51 is rated for 500Nm. bring the same price the Diesel does seem better value.
Are we totally sure on this for actual customer cars?

The reason I ask is that I've raised this question more than once and been told that the gearboxes are exactly the same apart from the gear ratios. Have we checked the nameplates on the Zf gearboxes yet to see if the details between petrol and diesel are different?

I'm curious to know.

Back
Top Bottom