The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Diesel or Petrol

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 75/25 for diesel over petrol on my build but still have nagging doubts over the future and pricing of diesel here in the UK.
I know for some there is no diesel option in your region so the choice is already made for you. However I'm keen to get other people's thoughts on the choice and what you are going for and why.

off-road/towing/long mileage etc etc versus short runs and better road responsiveness with throttle, less technical and lower servicing costs - etc etc

tks in advance

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
Your doubts are understandable. But this is not only a UK question, but a EU question as well.

There are some aspects to consider.

1. The DPF clogging: that will probably only be a problem after 70,000-120,000 km
  2. So this means that you have enough time to put things in order beforehand
  3. There are many clever guys who simply disengage the entire EGR system (my choice, the sooner the better). So far, this has been possible without being visible. Because of the "measurability" at the ASU (German emissions test), I still have to do some research. And I agree that environment protection is important and worth a sacrifice. But a repair of up to 10000 € for a DPF, maybe two turbos and the swirl flaps unit is beyond any economy and ecology as well.
  4. Cars that regularly warm up to a reasonable operating temperature are probably not affected. Long distances are optimal, but an hour on the country road or 30 minutes on the motorway is also enough to clean the DPF.
  5. And you don't have to start the two-and-a-half-ton truck every time you want to buy a roll at the bakery.
By the way, the need for automatic DPF cleaning is indicated by a warning light, so just get on the Autobahn and burn some fuel for environment protection ...

My choice was Diesel .

They also have the better feng shui, I would say ;-) You calm down. Frequencies, acoustics, characteristics, all very age-appropriate.  And because of the significantly lower CO2 emissions, a Diesel fits better into the climate hysteria.

Besides this, (not only) European heavy goods traffic will have to deal with Diesel for a long time, which strengthens a certain basis for this technology and also for the fuel. In addition, the Grenadier meets the highest possible standard with Euro 6d, which hopefully will calm things down for a while.

But as far as the future is concerned, predictions are notoriously difficult. So I consider everything else speculation.

Life is risky, and so is this decision.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I just love a diesel. and the B57 is a hell of an engine. I'm sure both will be great, but for me the low end torque of the diesel for towing will be much appreciated!

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
I drove the first diesel MQ Patrol to be serviced in Western Australia from Eastern Australia in 1980. As emax states, it is a calming factor in the pleasure of driving. I have not owned a petroleum-powered motor on or off-road since. I tell a lie I still own my first Trials bike I bought in 1974.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The Montesa 249 I owned was of course a petrol as well. But at extremely low revs it had indeed the grunt of a Diesel. :)

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
emax - 

thank you for your diesel choice analysis. I agree with your comments.

I think many considering which engine to choose, consider the annual km's they intend to travel - low annual km's may favour petrol and higher km's diesel. 

I think there is merit in this, (although not sure if there is a specific annual km range that moves you from petrol to diesel) because it is not just the annual km's that you intend to do but where you do them and how you do them.

For example, if you travel, say, 10,000 km per year, 90% on bitumen and the 10% off road not towing anything - petrol is probably the choice but if annual km's are 25,000 with 50% of road towing a trailer or van - diesel? 

Anyway - the BMW B57 is a beautiful engine and a treat to drive on the bitumen and then you always have it "up your sleeve" should you get on the gravel a lot and towing sometimes.

RTG

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All,

I seem to remember seeing somewhere the petrol octane rating , does 85 min ring a bell to anyone?
Some of the outback fuel stations run Opal which I believe are low octane.

Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
Range must be an important factor,  esp. in Australia. With a usable stock 85 liters and given fuel consumption, the range is roughly:

> Petrol: 670 km
> Diesel: 867 km

That's nearly 200km more for the Diesel. In sand and under load this discrepancy is likely to widen. So the Diesel is a clear winner range wise. Also the low down grunt and engine compression of a diesel are winners off road.  And if you need more fuel than full tank(s) then I prefer to carry diesel rather than flammable petrol. And if you run out, in Australia, chances are that the next car or nearest pump has diesel. For me the downsides for the diesel are the complexity and fuel sensitivity of a modern Common Rail diesel, with DPF and Ad Blue. Oh, and I love the sound of a diesel engine (at idle), although the B57 may be a little too refined! 

Of course I have ordered a diesel. In Australia particularly that is pretty much the only choice in my mind.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Petrol for me, smoother, quieter, more powerful on road - overtaking, and simpler - has now where near the show stopping, expensive emission sensors of a diesel. And no induction clogging EGR.

Red pepper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Struggling to make the right choice (ordered petrol, had bad experience with the DPF + add blue before), but still thinking which way to go (before signing the contract), could be handy to test drive both (probably never is going to happen, until we start getting our orders), or at least to get some data and reviews from the drivers who done all the test drives (1 mill. Km done) - interesting to know if they had any problems or issues with petrol /diesel engines and if anything was changed /adjusted.... I know, I am just dreaming... 

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've opted for diesel. Bloody hope have made right decision, I think I have but as the wife reminds me I've been wrong before!

Nixon_04

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Does both engine options meet the emission standard EURO 6d? Thank you.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Both engines have to meet the Euro 6d. There is no way to bring a new car into market without that. The drivers of the test drive seem to prefer the petrol engine. In my case the point was to meet future regukation with cities closed for diesel engines.Infirst I thught that this is reasonable because it met my experience with diesel in past. On the second thought this is not a good point with such an modern diesel with filter and Ad-Blue. The diesels exhaust is realy close to the petrol ones.As they sell both engines at the same price I presume that they have to pay more for the more complex diesel. So every decision in favour for the petrol engine is financially good for Ineos.I decided to go for the diesel as acceleration is the only point for the petrol engine. More than 160 km/h is not possible with both (I know that this is a german problem... ?)

Did anybody of you get the recommendation for the petrol one durein the test drive?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Haven't had a test drive yet.

Diesel vs. petrol: difficult decision. But with Euro 6d, diesel should still be accepted in "green" zones for a while.

From my point of view, diesel has a stronger backing in the market, since (in Europe) all means of commercial transport are based on diesel and are therefore likely to remain indispensable for a long time to come.

That being said, I prefer the characteristics of diesel engines over petrol engines, although of course that's personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom