The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Another Diesel VS Petrol thread

Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
Petrol will get you there faster, diesel will get a bigger load there, petrol will cost more in fuel costs, diesel will cost more in maintenance costs
Only get diesel if towing regularly or distance between fuel stops could be a issue
For me , in remote Australia where we holiday and tow a van diesel is a no brainer
If I didn’t tow a van when touring it would be petrol without hesitation

Yards10

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Both engines come mated to a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission (codenamed 8HP51 for the petrol, 8HP76 for the diesel), with what Ineos calls a new “heavy duty” torque converter.
Torque figures are different being 500 Nm for petrol and 750 Nm for Diesel

Attachments

• FEE83DA3-A954-4926-822A-0C1C2B6E2385.png
    FEE83DA3-A954-4926-822A-0C1C2B6E2385.png
    650.9 KB · Views: 47

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:11 PM
Reaction score
This is from US spec brochure. IMG_0673.jpeg

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
I see it's still on the UK brochure as well..... oh well, there was me getting hopeful. More pinches of salt required I think.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score
If you’re so obsessed about overtaking everyone, then buy a sports car.
With a Grenadier you’re buying a 2,750kg truck. Plus luggage. You’ll find you’re not in a hurry after a few weeks of ownership.

Torque figures and fuel consumption are better on the diesel.

With a company fuel card, diesel can be considerably cheaper than petrol, as you generally can’t get fleet prices on petrol.
On motorway runs I’m getting 29 mpg (Imp gallons) with quite a bit of gear in the back.
I’ve overtaken quite a few cyclists too, and I don’t think it would’ve made much difference what engine was under the bonnet.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you’re so obsessed about overtaking everyone, then buy a sports car.
With a Grenadier you’re buying a 2,750kg truck. Plus luggage. You’ll find you’re not in a hurry after a few weeks of ownership.

Torque figures and fuel consumption are better on the diesel.

With a company fuel card, diesel can be considerably cheaper than petrol, as you generally can’t get fleet prices on petrol.
On motorway runs I’m getting 29 mpg (Imp gallons) with quite a bit of gear in the back.
I’ve overtaken quite a few cyclists too, and I don’t think it would’ve made much difference what engine was under the bonnet.
Since getting my first diesel a few years ago I just love the simple availability of torque when needed.
As you say it isn't meant for race cars (apart from Audi at Le Mans) so it suits a very different use case.
I find cruising down the motorway, or on back country roads, is effortless and should you need to smoothly overtake, or avoid an obstacle, the diesel builds speed effortlessly.
The ability in the Grenadier to use low range (unlocked) 4wd on the road up to 80kmh means there is virtually nothing you can't tow easily.
No problems at the boat ramp that's for sure.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
No problems at the boat ramp that's for sure.
If the pilot has excellent reversing skills. I always found it sometimes amusing , but generally frustrating, watching others launch. The small SW and SW play might be a factor in the Gren.
Our boat ramp was covered in green weed and sloped sideways.
My solution was to get rid of the boat and order a camper 😁

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If the pilot has excellent reversing skills. I always found it sometimes amusing , but generally frustrating, watching others launch. The small SW and SW play might be a factor in the Gren.
Our boat ramp was covered in green weed and sloped sideways.
My solution was to get rid of the boat and order a camper 😁
Often amusing at the boat ramp 50 metres down the road from my house.
Many caravan parks won't let customers reverse their own caravans in anymore.
They all seem to use a simple answer to the problem and the one I went for on mine.
Front tow hitch under the hinge up number plate.
It also requires the high load wiring which provides the wiring for the winch in case I change my mind later and add one.
Should make it easier for me to move things around my yard and shed as well.

1695418362840.png1695418757086.png

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I prefer warm water.
We have a portable gas HW unit for overlanding with just the vehicle , and the 12ft hybrid we've ordered has an ensuite plus an outdoor shower as an option.
I love having several options.

Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score
Are we totally sure on this for actual customer cars?

The reason I ask is that I've raised this question more than once and been told that the gearboxes are exactly the same apart from the gear ratios. Have we checked the nameplates on the Zf gearboxes yet to see if the details between petrol and diesel are different?

I'm curious to know.
ZF 8HP size differences.jpg
This is the difference in size of a BMW diesel ZF 8HP70/75 left and a ZF 8HP45/50. This is from an Australian BMW performance video. Zero to 60 on YT

Attachments

• ZF_Stufenautomatgetriebe_8HP70.jpg
    ZF_Stufenautomatgetriebe_8HP70.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom