The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cruise control dropping out...

ericge

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
My Grenadier has had a couple of longer runs down to Cairns and back, when I used the cruise control. It seems to work well. It drops out automatically if you touch the brakes, as it should

However, mine drops out all the time. If I go over a bump or cattle grid, it drops out. That's understandable and not a worry. Some times it drops out for no reason I can figure. Worst of all, if there is a gusty wind around, it can drop out very quickly, from a few second to a few minutes and I have to press the reset button. The last 75 km home tonight, it must have dropped out 20-30 times on a road that is smooth and flat. This is really irritating - does anyone else have this behaviour?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I never experienced such an odd behaviour. Maybe there is an acceleration sensor which shuts down cruise control as a safety feature. If this sensor is to sensitive this might be a reason.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
My Grenadier has had a couple of longer runs down to Cairns and back, when I used the cruise control. It seems to work well. It drops out automatically if you touch the brakes, as it should

However, mine drops out all the time. If I go over a bump or cattle grid, it drops out. That's understandable and not a worry. Some times it drops out for no reason I can figure. Worst of all, if there is a gusty wind around, it can drop out very quickly, from a few second to a few minutes and I have to press the reset button. The last 75 km home tonight, it must have dropped out 20-30 times on a road that is smooth and flat. This is really irritating - does anyone else have this behaviour?
What a pain!! If we had access to a decent wiring diagram... might I suggest you check the fuse/ relay layout diagrams in the Owner's Manual and ensure the relevant relay is properly seated in its fuse box. (I'm not sure which one it is.. you might have to check several...)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like a too tight brake pedal contact. On a bump it closes by accident and thus looks to the electronics like a brake pedal operation. Can then happen due to vibrations as well.

Nothing serious imo.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
had mine drop off once or twice while taking a curve a bit too fast . car was perfectly safe and capable of doing it but i guess a sensor somewhere thought i was being an idiot and disengaged cruise control .

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Never had that one and I use Cruise control lots of the time to avoid getting caught on another traffic camera!

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

It might be your handbrake. The micro switch in the handbrake is also in the cruise control circuit. Try using cruise control while holding the handbrake handle down against the stop. If that solves it your handbrake needs an adjustment.
I had this problem but it would put on the handbrake light at the same time. It was sometimes the briefest flicker so would be easy to miss. I can't see a return spring under the handle so cable tension may be needed to hold the handle down when the handbrake is released.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It might be your handbrake. The micro switch in the handbrake is also in the cruise control circuit. Try using cruise control while holding the handbrake handle down against the stop. If that solves it your handbrake needs an adjustment.
I had this problem but it would put on the handbrake light at the same time. It was sometimes the briefest flicker so would be easy to miss. I can't see a return spring under the handle so cable tension may be needed to hold the handle down when the handbrake is released.
Whether or not this solves the issue, your post is nevertheless a great contribution to the forum! These "nuggets of information" are "gold" in understanding the details of how this machine operates, and once again illustrates why this forum is so important. (y)

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Had it sometimes, for instance yesterday in a 30km/h zone, driving 33 ;) and after driving over a bump.
But it doesn't happen that often. OK for me.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had it sometimes, for instance yesterday in a 30km/h zone, driving 33 ;) and after driving over a bump.
But it doesn't happen that often. OK for me.
I wonder in this circumstance was your foot hovering over the accelerator pedal (in anticipation of the limit ending) and with the bump your foot accidently touched the pedal

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder in this circumstance was your foot hovering over the accelerator pedal (in anticipation of the limit ending) and with the bump your foot accidently touched the pedal
No, definitely no, because I know the "slowdown bump" very well: it is in my own street. The street became completely "30 zone" some months ago. And is quite long!

ericge

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
No, not for me. My foot was well away from the pedal.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No, definitely no, because I know the "slowdown bump" very well: it is in my own street. The street became completely "30 zone" some months ago. And is quite long!
I saw 30 and wondered is that even a real speed ;)

On this topic - none of the vehicles I have owned ever had a dropping out of the cruise control... I'll see how this goes on the road north of Gympie in the longer trips and out to the Aunts house over bumpy regional one lane roads!

Back
Top Bottom