The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cruise Control speed change +/- is always in kph????

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
I am in the US and we use miles instead of km. We will never change because we will never change.

It took me weeks to figure out why the Cruise Control +/- speed control inputs on my steering wheel did not seem to work reliably. The set speed in mph does not change (go up or down) every time I hit the buttons, just MOST times. But the same buttons work 100% of the time when using them for the RESume or SELect function. How is this possible you ask?

I finally figured it out: Even though I have units of miles selected, and the display is showing current speed and cruise setting in mph, the speed change commanded by the steering wheel buttons IS ALWAYS IN KILOMETERS PER HOUR!!!

The result is that the speed in mph changes about 60% of the time I hit the button. This is because a kilometer is 62% of a mile! I can not even believe this is programmed this way. I love this car for its British quirks but this is a whole new level.

I conducted an extremely scientific study to determine this during a recent 3 hour drive. I tried pushing the + or - buttons fast, slow, hard, soft, waiting 3 seconds between pushes...nothing impacted the end result. I always got (on average) ~6 mph change for every 10 button pushes. In order to change 10mph I had to press 16 times.

Because 10mph = 16.1kph

Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
I am in the US and we use miles instead of km. We will never change because we will never change.

It took me weeks to figure out why the Cruise Control +/- speed control inputs on my steering wheel did not seem to work reliably. The commanded speed in mph does not change (go up or down) every time I hit the buttons. But the same buttons work 100% of the time when using them for the RESume or SELect function. How is this possible you ask?

I finally figured it out: Even though I have units of miles selected, and the display is showing current speed and cruise setting in mph, the speed change commanded by the steering wheel buttons IS ALWAYS IN KILOMETERS PER HOUR!!!

The result is that the speed in mph changes about 60% of the time I hit the button. This is because a kilometer is 62% of a mile! I can not even believe this is programmed this way. I love this car for its British quirks but this is a whole new level.

I conducted an extremely scientific study to determine this during a recent 3 hour drive. I tried pushing the + or - buttons fast, slow, hard, soft, waiting 3 seconds between pushes...nothing impacted the end result. I always got (on average) ~6 mph change for every 10 button pushes. In order to change 10mph I had to press 16 times.

Because 10mph = 16.1kph

Prove me wrong.
Does Menu Settings allow you to choose MPH and KPH for Cruise Control? Set too MPH. I noticed with tyre pressure I could choose PSI, even though all my other settings where in metric. The individual setting for tyre pressure overrode the default choice for all other settings. The same may apply to Cruise Control.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

It took me weeks to figure out why the Cruise Control +/- speed control inputs on my steering wheel did not seem to work reliably. The commanded speed in mph does not change (go up or down) every time I hit the buttons. But the same buttons work 100% of the time when using them for the RESume or SELect function. How is this possible you ask?

Because 10mph = 16.1kph

Prove me wrong.

Because 10mph = 16.1kph

Prove me wrong.
Since you say you like the Grenadier's British quirks, you should remember that it's kilometre (not kilometer), and it's km/h (not kph). 😬

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Because 10mph = 16.1kph

Prove me wrong.
I think you are correct. By the seat of my pants though, I can feel a speed increase each time the button is pressed. It is a 1km/h increase, not a 1mph.

I kind of like the fractional increments. I'm ok with it and chalk it up to owning a quirky British car.

I find that for an increase of 10mph or more of speed, I prefer the long pedal. I'm not a fan of push button driving in general.

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
...By the seat of my pants though, I can feel a speed increase each time the button is pressed. It is a 1km/h increase, not a 1mph.

I did eventually notice that, but it doesn't help my brain feel any better about what is going on. I want to press the button and get an indicated result every time.

It's very unsatisfying to see the set speed change... sometimes.

Last edited:

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought I was crazy, this explains it...well done buddy!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score

It took me weeks to figure out why the Cruise Control +/- speed control inputs on my steering wheel did not seem to work reliably. The set speed in mph does not change (go up or down) every time I hit the buttons, just MOST times. But the same buttons work 100% of the time when using them for the RESume or SELect function. How is this possible you ask?

Because 10mph = 16.1kph

Prove me wrong.
I completely agree with you. It does exactly the same for me. Sometimes I have to double press the speed to get 1 mph, sometimes just once. It is irritating.
I like your logic on working this out, and I think you are completely right.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Because 10mph = 16.1kph

Prove me wrong.
A long press gives a 10 km/h step change. I just saved you 9 button presses per 6 mph 🤟

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to work why the IG would be described as British. (We use mph not kph too).
Maybe some components are British made, I can't think of anything obvious.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am trying to work why the IG would be described as British. (We use mph not kph too).
Maybe some components are British made, I can't think of anything obvious.
Ineos are based in Britain and Ineos Automotive are London based. Sir Jim is a 1952 British production so the association is made. But you're not wrong, the Grenadier is a global product.
There are a few UK companies in the supply chain according to the March 2021 Supplier Bulletin. Red Winches are British. International Automotive Components UK did some of the interior, But that's UK, not specifically British which was your point.

Back
Top Bottom