The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

ESC, Traction Control, Cruise control issue post update.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
Had the full software update last week. Pre that ocassionally when using cruise control if you went over a big bump or something the cruise control would drop out, but you could just reset it and carry on.

This morning on the highway I had a bump in the road and the cruise dropped out but then threw an ESC and traction control error small screen plus icon on small screen and had ESc not available and reduced braking performance errors and cruise was not available. Turning off the car, opening the door, closing and locking and then restarting cleared it but then it did the same again 20 mins later.

Bit of a concern, anyone else had this?

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did it again, seems like it is linked to cruise control, every time I put cruise control on it works for a short time and then it glitches.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That sux.

I’ve not experienced any adverse impacts from my recent software update. Yet to do a long haul drive since the update though, but so far it’s ok for me.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That sux.

I’ve not experienced any adverse impacts from my recent software update. Yet to do a long haul drive since the update though, but so far it’s ok for me.
I guess not necessarily software update related although the association is suspicious.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had the full software update last week. Pre that ocassionally when using cruise control if you went over a big bump or something the cruise control would drop out, but you could just reset it and carry on.

This morning on the highway I had a bump in the road and the cruise dropped out but then threw an ESC and traction control error small screen plus icon on small screen and had ESc not available and reduced braking performance errors and cruise was not available. Turning off the car, opening the door, closing and locking and then restarting cleared it but then it did the same again 20 mins later.

Ours drops out of cruise control occasionally, it seems to happen if one hits a bump while on a curve.

Our steering control module failure started with an ESC and TSC warning which would clear on restart then return. Next symptom was wiper/light malfunction.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ours drops out of cruise control occasionally, it seems to happen if one hits a bump while on a curve.

Our steering control module failure started with an ESC and TSC warning which would clear on restart then return. Next symptom was wiper/light malfunction.
Pre software update it would occasionally drop out of cruise control, usually with a bump which I had assumed was a safety thing if it saw an ESC activation it would disengage cruise control, but I wouldn’t get any errors from it. That’s a bit of a concern that it may be that issue. Mine will be at Purnell to look into it tomorrow, was it them that sorted that issue out for you?

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update: when I initially went in with this issue they said they hadn’t seen it before, then they realised they had seen one, and coincidentally another came in with a similar issue while mine was there.
INEOS had clearly seen something like it before as they asked them to check a wiring harness connection next to the power steering pump as there have been issues with these rubbing and damaging wires. Mine had a mark there on the connector and a slightly damaged wire. This was checked and repaired and the connecter and harness better fastened out of the way. On test it was ok and so I picked the car up and drove it home, but the issue reappeared on the way, this time without using the cruise control. Took it back and they initially suspected a wheel speed sensor, but they checked out ok. Finally they have reloaded and calibrated the software and it has now been driven for about 150kms on test and it has not reappeared so while the actual root cause is still a little bit of a mystery it seems hopefully resolved. Not 100% sure if it was the wiring repair, the checking and cleaning of the wheel speed sensors or an error in the software load or a combination of factors. At this stage it does seem most likely that it was a software error.

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had this happen with all those mentioned symptoms (TSA, ESC up and downhill brake assist and lost cruise control) whilst driving home from Brisbane on Sunday. On freeway doing 100kph, it started the warning lights. Cruise went off. I drove it until next rest stop. Turned it off, did my business and refilled water bottle. Started again with no issues. Didn't happen again over next 1200 kms. Service today logged the fault, no reason why, couldn't repeat it, so don't worry
What can you do?

CBN

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Just had this as well post update 🙄😐. Started when I turned the high beam on drivingdown the M1. Had none of these issues for 5 months prior

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:59 PM
Reaction score
Since some weeks I have also a small problem with the cruise control.
It doesn't happen always, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I explain:
  • cruise control on, let's say 120 km/h
  • after some time I feel and see very short speed drops, for instance from 120 km/h to 118 km/h, but it always goes back to 120 km/h; cruise control stays on!
  • very annoying feeling, like somebody is driving "accelerating - decelerating - accelerating- decelerating - ...."
  • no other associated problems or warnings
Causes?
  • injection?
  • software?
Anybody had that problem?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score

I explain:
  • after some time I feel and see very short speed drops, for instance from 120 km/h to 118 km/h, but it always goes back to 120 km/h; cruise control stays on!
  • very annoying feeling, like somebody is driving "accelerating - decelerating - accelerating- decelerating - ...."
Causes?
  • injection?
  • software?
I've had that at higher motorway speeds usually on an incline. It as if the automatic transmission gets caught out has to drop a gear then speeds up to the set speed. It did it in my Discovery 4 but not as pronounced as in the Grenadier.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score

I explain:
Causes?
  • injection?
  • software?

A bad injector could cause throttle response issues but I would think the computer would adjust fueling to increase speed back up to the set limit. If the malfunctioning injector came back on line then you'd see a speed increase upward and over the set limit until the computer cut fueling to return to the desired speed. That's a little different than just dropping below the set limit and then returning. In my experience injector malfunction/misfiring happens every few seconds. The vehicle tends to buck slightly when it occurs rather than pulses slowly above and below the desired speed.

Older Cruise Control systems did use standalone electro-mechanical units that were not very accurate and had wide variations at a set speed. They often got worse and worse as they aged. I doubt that the Ineos/BMW system operates in such a manner. What you've described sounds more like a software or calibration issue to me although a bad connection that intermittently shorted might have the same effect. Perhaps the computer wouldn't catch such an issue. Maybe check your injector wiring connections? Are there any codes set?

AWo

Local time
Reaction score

I explain:
Causes?
  • injection?
  • software?
I saw that again and again with cruise control systems, even in cars 2 or 3 years old. I would consider that as normal.

AWo

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've had that at higher motorway speeds usually on an incline. It as if the automatic transmission gets caught out has to drop a gear then speeds up to the set speed. It did it in my Discovery 4 but not as pronounced as in the Grenadier.
I have this in Flanders on the motorway: super flat, no inclines, no change of gear

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
I have this in Flanders on the motorway: super flat, no inclines, no change of gear
Ah, not the same. Never had an issue on the flat, has to be a sudden rise to do it.
I'm a diesel ⛽️.
If it is only a recent manifestation you could have had a bad batch of petrol. Mind you knowing your habit of letting your fuel run out you could have pick up something from the bottom of your tank - like air

Back
Top Bottom