The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Using the Winch (Power on, Pair Remote Control, Relais Behaviour, etc.) - Ultimate Manual no long thread!

mikeonline

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
Here we go with the ultimate technical INFO:
1. Start Motor (does not work if Engine off)
2. apply Handbrake
3. Switch to Gear N (Neutral) - maybe D/R will work also
4. Never drive above ~70 km/h
5. Switch the 500 A Switch on, you will hear a loud click in the backseat if ok. Try it with P and N to hear the difference! (Remember: If preconditions are not ALWAYS met, then the relais is disabled, even if the switch knob is physically set to on! Sometimes there is a warning in the display, that it had been switched off. If this occurs, reassure all 1.-4. conditions are met at the SAME time and persist. then re-toggle the 500 A Switch)
6. Start winching with the wireless RC (if already paired, if not continue with A)

A. after 1.-5. is completed, the Winch should be powered, you need to pair the Remote Control (Red Winch - WR-01-2) please proceed to step B
B. Press Power Button 1.5-2.5 Sec to turn on / connect (Quick press to turn off, almost instant for emergency stop or normal power off)
C. Check the LED, when the transmitter matches receiver then LED will be solid light. (Flickering fast while communicating.) If not working PAIR proceed step D
D. a) Power Off Receiver (Winch!), b) Switch on Transmitter (Remote Control), c) Hold down Winch IN and OUT at same time. d) Keep and hold IN and OUT for 3+ Seconds. e) Release both Buttons (IN/OUT) f) Test system
Link: Red Winches - Basic Wireless System (RW-WWC)

Of course, the mechanical preconditions have to be met (open plastic housing, check free-spool switch, ..), keep hands away,..

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
2. apply Handbrake
5. Switch the 500 A Switch on, you will hear a loud click in the backseat if ok. Try it with P and N to hear the difference! (Remember: If preconditions are not ALWAYS met, then the relais is disabled, even if the switch knob is physically set to on! Sometimes there is a warning in the display, that it had been switched off. If this occurs, reassure all 1.-4. conditions are met at the SAME time and persist. then re-toggle the 500 A Switch)
6. Start winching with the wireless RC (if already paired, if not continue with A)

A. after 1.-5. is completed, the Winch should be powered, you need to pair the Remote Control (Red Winch - WR-01-2) please proceed to step B
B. Press Power Button 1.5-2.5 Sec to turn on / connect (Quick press to turn off, almost instant for emergency stop or normal power off)
C. Check the LED, when the transmitter matches receiver then LED will be solid light. (Flickering fast while communicating.) If not working PAIR proceed step D
D. a) Power Off Receiver (Winch!), b) Switch on Transmitter (Remote Control), c) Hold down Winch IN and OUT at same time. d) Keep and hold IN and OUT for 3+ Seconds. e) Release both Buttons (IN/OUT) f) Test system

Of course, the mechanical preconditions have to be met (open plastic housing, check free-spool switch, ..), keep hands away,..
Re point 2 - The handbrake is mentioned in the manual as a safety precaution in certain circumstances.

Re point 3 - The winch will work in D, R or N

Re point 4 - What do you mean by this?

Last edited:

mikeonline

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
Re point 2 - The handbrake does not affect the winch operation. It is mentioned in the manual as a safety precaution in certain circumstances.
Good to know, that stones or. sth else will be ok also, had no chance to try it.
Lets tell sth. about not allowing P: afaik the small metal which holds the car in P can break very easily, so i think thats why it is forbidden. normally i would prefer to stay in P and Handbrake ;-)
So as advice if stopping steep, you should first apply handbrake, then leave footpedal brake, if car rests in handbrake, then apply P, so there will be no heavy load on the P blocking gear!
Re point 3 - The winch will work in D, R or N
Okay, you tested it, i had read about, but not tested yet.
Re point 4 - What do you mean by this?
There is a note somewhere in the manual, that the 500A Relais will be switched off, when driving faster.

I regret that i cant winch with motor off. yes in most cases its useless to use motor off, but for mounting a shackle or sth. else i dont care about this small unloaded battery drain...
anyway, if the car is get stuck, i would prefer to recover it a bit from both batteries if the motor is off, instead of letting it get drowned..
yes these precautions are good, but too strict i think. a big warning would be better.

another thing about the voltage while on generator: if the voltage is a bit higher 12->14V we may utilize the copper cables better, and maybe (depending on circuit) the winch has more power, or at least cables/relais etc, get less loaded (less ampere, same wattage R=U/I)

FrankeMatt

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
2. apply Handbrake

This is awesome info. Ive had issues with my lockers not wanting to engage and disengage. Would you (or someone) put together one of these step by step operating procedure manuals for the lockers?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
mikeonline messaged me about an error in one of the pages I included from the official winch manual, so I’ll fix this before submitting it in the resources section. 🙂
If you haven’t already done so I’ll put together something about the plasma lock.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is awesome info. Ive had issues with my lockers not wanting to engage and disengage. Would you (or someone) put together one of these step by step operating procedure manuals for the lockers?
I’m currently working on this, and I’ll post it when it's done. 🙂

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you are not in Off-Road mode when trying to winch, and you open the door with the seat belt off, the transmission automatically shifts from neutral or drive to Park, and the winch relay is switched off. Not a problem I guess if you have someone else pull out your winch line, but my experience is you are in and out of your vehicle during a recovery.
The winch only works with the engine running. There are occasions when that could be a problem.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
The winch will NOT operate if the handbrake is engaged for me. Handbrake has to be released (as noted in the last step in the manual). I’ve just tested this today to confirm.

This threw me off as the manual tells you to initially engage the handbrake, but then subsequently tells you to release the handbrake before winching.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
2. apply Handbrake

I found this very detailed Red Winch wiring schematic, which also goes into how the remote functions on the Red Winch site. Note sure if this or portions of this have been posted before. DaBull
https://www.red-winches.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/WR-01-2.pdf

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom