The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Build Quality

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
So test drove a new Field Master (120 Miles on it) at the dealer. Drove better than I expected with zero body roll or nose plow - and steering was better than I expected - seems it will be easy to get used to after the first return to center makes you see your life flash before you if not ready. A 3 point turn though would need a few more numbers (23 point?) as the turning radius is not quite as crisp as the current CVN-Gerald Ford class of US aircraft carriers.

While the positives were higher than the negatives - couple things stuck out to me 1) Cheap plastics on a near $100K vehicle - looks like the same level one would find in a North Korean rental car - disappointing - poor fit and finish in many places - the rear deck floor was bubbled in several places. 2) Build quality - overall very solid - great door slams - its build like a tank, very nice leather seats and rear leg room. The Rails at the roof on the other hand are an absolute embarrassment; literally looked like a 4 year old loaded with espresso who just got off a roller coaster was told to make them nice and straight - more waves over the length of the vehicle than should be allowed; Mercedes would fire someone for that level of incompetence. 3) Gas filler cover - absolute rubbish - again Ineos - have some shame. 4) Multiple warning alarms going off that even the dealer could not explain - rear seatbelt warning was going off for the first 1/2 of the drive. Very torn walking away from the drive -I truly love the concept and have been here since day 1 and really want one of these. Can even get mentally beyond the MPG of a lumber truck...

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
So test drove a new Field Master (120 Miles on it) at the dealer. Drove better than I expected with zero body roll or nose plow - and steering was better than I expected - seems it will be easy to get used to after the first return to center makes you see your life flash before you if not ready. A 3 point turn though would need a few more numbers (23 point?) as the turning radius is not quite as crisp as the current CVN-Gerald Ford class of US aircraft carriers.

While the positives were higher than the negatives - couple things stuck out to me 1) Cheap plastics on a near $100K vehicle - looks like the same level one would find in a North Korean rental car - disappointing - poor fit and finish in many places - the rear deck floor was bubbled in several places. 2) Build quality - overall very solid - great door slams - its build like a tank, very nice leather seats and rear leg room. The Rails at the roof on the other hand are an absolute embarrassment; literally looked like a 4 year old loaded with espresso who just got off a roller coaster was told to make them nice and straight - more waves over the length of the vehicle than should be allowed; Mercedes would fire someone for that level of incompetence. 3) Gas filler cover - absolute rubbish - again Ineos - have some shame. 4) Multiple warning alarms going off that even the dealer could not explain - rear seatbelt warning was going off for the first 1/2 of the drive. Very torn walking away from the drive -I truly love the concept and have been here since day 1 and really want one of these. Can even get mentally beyond the MPG of a lumber truck...
This vehicle messes with your head: so much of it seems really good, and then there are a bunch of things that just aren't right - given the price. I disagree with someone saying you buy it for the metal - with the implication that a stout frame, a thick track bar, drag link, and tie rod, and a solid body are enough to justify the price. While those boxes aren't checked by any other mid-size off-roader/SUV/pickup truck in the US, you can find them in a bunch of heavy duty trucks, and the Power Wagon has a stouter frame, heavier running gear, full-float heavy duty axles, lockers front & rear, a disconnecting front anti-sway bar, and a winch - all standard; the engine puts out 410 hp, and 429 lb/ft of torque, there are Ram dealers all over, and parts are relatively inexpensive and widely available. Same fuel mileage. Its just really big (plusses and minuses with that). Magna Steyr has a great reputation, but the build quality and reliability of the Grenadier have yet to be proven.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might need to wait for the more upmarket bling bling version, I would think this would have a higher grade interior.
The leather seats and passenger areas were all fine - the plastic in the back was my issue as some other parts of the interior. I don't need bling bling - but not a fan of cheap.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This vehicle messes with your head: so much of it seems really good, and then there are a bunch of things that just aren't right - given the price. I disagree with someone saying you buy it for the metal - with the implication that a stout frame, a thick track bar, drag link, and tie rod, and a solid body are enough to justify the price. While those boxes aren't checked by any other mid-size off-roader/SUV/pickup truck in the US, you can find them in a bunch of heavy duty trucks, and the Power Wagon has a stouter frame, heavier running gear, full-float heavy duty axles, lockers front & rear, a disconnecting front anti-sway bar, and a winch - all standard; the engine puts out 410 hp, and 429 lb/ft of torque, there are Ram dealers all over, and parts are relatively inexpensive and widely available. Same fuel mileage. Its just really big (plusses and minuses with that). Magna Steyr has a great reputation, but the build quality and reliability of the Grenadier have yet to be proven.
"messes with your head" is absolutely spot on. I love the analog nature of the car - you can see it is designed with so much thought around mechanical capabilities. I just wish they spent as much time on finishes and interior plastics.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
The leather seats and passenger areas were all fine - the plastic in the back was my issue as some other parts of the interior. I don't need bling bling - but not a fan of cheap.
One of the early concepts of this initial version was the idea you could hose it out after a heavy day on the farm, which inevitably leads to the overuse of heavy / ugly plastics. Not sure the American market will fully embrace this vision but it is what it is, a vehicle for contrarians.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One of the early concepts of this initial version was the idea you could hose it out after a heavy day on the farm, which inevitably leads to the overuse of heavy / ugly plastics. Not sure the American market will fully embrace this vision but it is what it is, a vehicle for contrarians.
Good point - appreciate that input.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
I get that - even tell myself they spent the $ on things you cant see so who cares - but disappointed with some of the basics
Hi YellowLab, I agree with you on monies spent on things that matter. It seems they got so many things right. Wish the interior finish was just a bit more fitting for what they accomplished everywhere else, which is quality. It's almost like they ran out of monies when it came to the final finish details on the interior. The dash plastics and texture and the floor plastics, (should have been rubber), don't match the rest of the build quality and fit. Would have been nice to have some choices for the black piano finishers on the doors and else where that will get too easily scratched up. A rear back up camera mirror would have been great as a safety and convenience option too. My list of wishes is short. My check list for everything else that's right is long and all checked off. DaBull

Sekurt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My biggest problem with the Power Wagon is that it’s a Chrysler product and by nature is an absolute piece of sh^t quality and build wise. I made previous posts about “my” Chrysler product experience and U.S. lemon laws. Best part of a Chrysler product is when you finally tick the lemon law box they (Chrysler) put up zero fight.

On another note, I 100% agree with the plastics. I however cannot wait until I get to write a $96k-ish check in the next few weeks

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I have owned my Grenadier since May and agree completely that some of the plastic is well below par. Two disappointing areas for me were plastics and stowage. As my experience of this vehicle has been so positive, despite the usual alarms etc, my concerns have completely disappeared regarding plastics and stowage. Those items are now challenges for me to address. I can bond stretch carpet, leather, etc to the cheap plastics where they exist. I can create further stowage with the goal of making it look ‘factory provided’. I am now relishing those challenges and looking forward to many years of motoring all being well.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi YellowLab, I agree with you on monies spent on things that matter. It seems they got so many things right. Wish the interior finish was just a bit more fitting for what they accomplished everywhere else, which is quality. It's almost like they ran out of monies when it came to the final finish details on the interior. The dash plastics and texture and the floor plastics, (should have been rubber), don't match the rest of the build quality and fit. Would have been nice to have some choices for the black piano finishers on the doors and else where that will get too easily scratched up. A rear back up camera mirror would have been great as a safety and convenience option too. My list of wishes is short. My check list for everything else that's right is long and all checked off. DaBull
My head is in the same place - more right than wrong here. And the point our colleague from down under ‘shopkeep‘ notes it the insides are design to be washed out. The roof rails were very disappointing though - like a really bad haircut…

Local time
Reaction score

If you were like most others here you would have finished that off with "But everything's great!!"

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have owned my Grenadier since May and agree completely that some of the plastic is well below par. Two disappointing areas for me were plastics and stowage. As my experience of this vehicle has been so positive, despite the usual alarms etc, my concerns have completely disappeared regarding plastics and stowage. Those items are now challenges for me to address. I can bond stretch carpet, leather, etc to the cheap plastics where they exist. I can create further stowage with the goal of making it look ‘factory provided’. I am now relishing those challenges and looking forward to many years of motoring all being well.
Let the board know of your progress on carpet and interior fixes - I plan to do the same.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My head is in the same place - more right than wrong here. And the point our colleague from down under ‘shopkeep‘ notes it the insides are design to be washed out. The roof rails were very disappointing though - like a really bad haircut…

Let the board know of your progress on carpet and interior fixes - I plan to do the same.
Hopefully I pick up my Gren tomorrow, as per my avatar I have the rear window delete steel panels which have no internal finish apart from a small square of dodgy sound deadener crudely stuck to it. I already have a roll of better quality sound deadener on order and will then cover with stretch carpet or vinyl. The numerous upcoming fixes and mods will be all part of the adventure.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
Hopefully I pick up my Gren tomorrow, as per my avatar I have the rear window delete steel panels which have no internal finish apart from a small square of dodgy sound deadener crudely stuck to it. I already have a roll of better quality sound deadener on order and will then cover with stretch carpet or vinyl. The numerous upcoming fixes and mods will be all part of the adventure.
I have the same, and I am planning to mount left and right some molle panels in the gap. It’s better for the view, and it solves also the lack of storage for small stuff. Black Sheep has these already in there webshop.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same, and I am planning to mount left and right some molle panels in the gap. It’s better for the view, and it solves also the lack of storage for small stuff. Black Sheep has these already in there webshop.
Check directly with Black Sheep before ordering as the mounting system for the Molle panels was originally not compatible with the steel panels, they only work with the glass rear windows (unless this has recently changed).

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You there in the USofA have it good. You see, here in Oz, we have a massive right hand drive footrest that pushes our left foot and leg in to our chest... exaggeration maybe but it's a thing!! I'll take a poorly fitted piece of floor vinyl any day!!!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
I randomly picked something from youtube. There may be more solution which allow you to just cover the plastic surfaces like with paint.

I have no idea what this product is worth. But I like the concept.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evFM-qWiX2U

Back
Top Bottom