The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alu-Cab Roof Conversion Build Out Ideas

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:06 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, so as not to diffuse the other discussion around Goose Gear products, I thought it might make sense to have a separate thread specific to the Alu-Cab Roof Conversion kit and plans for building out the interior and exterior. Since the conversion will not be available until Q3-Q4 there is plenty of time to plan for, or begin a build.

My question for the group is, do you plan on doing the conversion, and if so, what are your plans for the rest of the build?

My plans thus far include the following:
- Alu-Cab roof conversion
- Alu-Cab Shadow Awning and Side Wall kit
- Alu-Cab Shower Cube
- Goose Gear Rear Seat Delete and Rear Plate system (I’ve seen this in person and it looks great, as is expected from Goose Gear)
- Goose Gear Campkitchen Module (or whatever they come out with in the next several months)
- Dometic CFX3 45 fridge
- Cook Partner Stove
- Dometic 972 Portable Toilet
- External diesel heater with ducting to inside cab
My goal is to have only enough storage below to be organized, whilst still keeping a relatively clutter free floor with space to hang out in the morning for coffee, or in the afternoon for a beer, or if needed, sleep below in bear country or in freezing temperatures.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, ideas, suggestions.

Cheers!

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:06 AM
Reaction score
Sadly the AluCab unit doesn’t work with safari windows.

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sadly the AluCab unit doesn’t work with safari windows.
I’m curious where you heard that. I checked and it was confirmed for me by Alu-Cab that all you need to do is specify upon pre-order that you have Safari Windows and they will be able to accommodate them. Perhaps someone else on the forum that may have a direct line of communication with Alu-Cap HQ can triple check this. My understanding is since the roof cutout is behind the overhead panel, they just need some sort of “blanking plate” to fill in the Safari Window voids. Obviously this means you won’t have any visibility out of the windows, so they become a “throw away” option.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
They may become a throwaway option but you still have 3-4 inches more headroom there.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m curious where you heard that. I checked and it was confirmed for me by Alu-Cab that all you need to do is specify upon pre-order that you have Safari Windows and they will be able to accommodate them. Perhaps someone else on the forum that may have a direct line of communication with Alu-Cap HQ can triple check this. My understanding is since the roof cutout is behind the overhead panel, they just need some sort of “blanking plate” to fill in the Safari Window voids. Obviously this means you won’t have any visibility out of the windows, so they become a “throw away” option.
You are correct and I should have been more precise. The top can fit on a safari window equipped vehicle by ‘removing’ them. I was hoping they were able to retain the functionality. Sorry for any confusion.

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You are correct and I should have been more precise. The top can fit on a safari window equipped vehicle by ‘removing’ them. I was hoping they were able to retain the functionality. Sorry for any confusion.
No problem at all, and yes, it would be nice if they were somehow still functional. Especially since my impatience got the best of me and rather than wait for the rig I ordered without Safari windows (still awaiting transport), I’m opting for an earlier delivery (any day now), the only difference in spec being the earlier delivery vehicle has the safari’s. In the overall scheme of things, it’s worth the head start I’ll get on the build and extra trips I’ll get out of it this winter and spring.

Based on the lack of replies on this thread, it looks like I may be one of very few IG’s with the Alu-Cab conversion. It’s certainly not for everyone, but it definitely fits my use case for solo trips in the backcountry at all times of the year.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No problem at all, and yes, it would be nice if they were somehow still functional. Especially since my impatience got the best of me and rather than wait for the rig I ordered without Safari windows (still awaiting transport), I’m opting for an earlier delivery (any day now), the only difference in spec being the earlier delivery vehicle has the safari’s. In the overall scheme of things, it’s worth the head start I’ll get on the build and extra trips I’ll get out of it this winter and spring.

Based on the lack of replies on this thread, it looks like I may be one of very few IG’s with the Alu-Cab conversion. It’s certainly not for everyone, but it definitely fits my use case for solo trips in the backcountry at all times of the year.
Sounds like you will have a great build. I am pretty minimalist and am still deciding how elaborate I want to go with it.

TWExplor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
I will be doing the Alu-Cab roof conversion as well and have placed the pre-order. Right now I am on track to get my vehicle around August so there is plenty of time to think through an interior build. The planning phase has started but without a vehicle to climb around or take apart I am left with relying on the multitude of pictures, plans, builds and discussions of others on the forum and elsewhere. It’s going to be a fun process and I plan on sharing the build as it develops.

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will be doing the Alu-Cab roof conversion as well and have placed the pre-order. Right now I am on track to get my vehicle around August so there is plenty of time to think through an interior build. The planning phase has started but without a vehicle to climb around or take apart I am left with relying on the multitude of pictures, plans, builds and discussions of others on the forum and elsewhere. It’s going to be a fun process and I plan on sharing the build as it develops.
Agree completely, it will be a fun process. I’m in the same boat with no vehicle to climb around in or take measurements, so it is all in my head at this point. I’ve got a 60 series Landcruiser, which I think is roughly the same size and shape in back so I’m using that to help conceptualize the build.

Hoping to get the IG in a couple weeks, it’s in port now.

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A few questions for anyone on the forum that has experience with Alu-Cab roof conversions on other vehicles.
- Are there any concerns with leaks and/or water penetration? This of course depends on a thorough job by the installer, but all things considered, do these hold up over time?
- Is the convenience of internal standing/living space warrant the added expense and risk of leaks over a traditional RTT? This is subjective dependent on individual use cases, but interested in different opinions.
- Are there any other thoughts/concerns that should be considered by anyone thinking about doing the conversion?

Personally I’ve shuffled between a bare-bones sleep inside solution, towing an adventure trailer, or going the RTT route, but I am leaning heavily towards the Alu-Cab conversion. Is there anything I may not have considered?

As a recap of my use case, it is for 1-2 week solo trips in the backcountry of the US and Canada, at all times of the year. Oh, and I’m north of 60 years old.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A few questions for anyone on the forum that has experience with Alu-Cab roof conversions on other vehicles.
- Are there any concerns with leaks and/or water penetration? This of course depends on a thorough job by the installer, but all things considered, do these hold up over time?
- Is the convenience of internal standing/living space warrant the added expense and risk of leaks over a traditional RTT? This is subjective dependent on individual use cases, but interested in different opinions.
- Are there any other thoughts/concerns that should be considered by anyone thinking about doing the conversion?

Personally I’ve shuffled between a bare-bones sleep inside solution, towing an adventure trailer, or going the RTT route, but I am leaning heavily towards the Alu-Cab conversion. Is there anything I may not have considered?

As a recap of my use case, it is for 1-2 week solo trips in the backcountry of the US and Canada, at all times of the year. Oh, and I’m north of 60 years old.
I have used a conversion on a 70 series LC Troopy that I rented in Australia for a month long overland trip. It was great, but I am still on the fence on whether it is worth cutting the roof off my brand new rig. I understand the convenience of it, but I also have doubts on how much time I will actually spend in the rig as a "camper" cooking, etc. When I had the rental, I used it as I would a roof tent, hung outside for the night, cooked and at outside on a table, etc. I am currently looking at a Raidbox that provides some basic cooking and refrigeration needs and has a bed that folds out for sleeping inside the truck. But I too have been highly interested in the Alu-Cab option and will be following it closely. I also have a fiberglass rooftent on my 100 Series and am planning on swapping that over to the IG. Combined with the Raidbox I could sleep 4 comfortably, have a back seat for passengers and still have more than average creature comforts.

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
I'm thinking similar thoughts as @Jackattack13 - I'd be a little hesitant to cut the roof off a new vehicle that cost $80,000 - but this may not be a concern for you.

In my humble opinion, you have two better options.

My first choice would be an off-road tear-drop trailer.
1 - The Grenadier will pull a tear-drop all day long with no trouble.
2 - The tear drop is much more comfortable to sleep in than the high-position bed in the Alu-Cab, and getting up in the middle of the night to go out for a piss is much easier. It has doors, and you are at "bed height" - not up on top of the roof. You did mention you were north of 60 - 😁
3 - The tear-drops have a kitchen all ready to go. These set-ups are WAY better than what you can build in the back of a Grenadier, and you can leave it stocked with cookware, plates, cutlery, etc. - ready and waiting for your next adventure - and you don't have to carry all that crap around in your Grenadier when you are not on a trip, and you don't have to pull it in-and-out of your car at the start/end of each trip.
4 - The Grenadier can remain at factory weight and spec, which will be better on technical trails, and for daily driving.
5 - You can park your trailer at a sweet camping spot, and head out in your Grenadier to drive to a trailhead, or whatever.

There are many, many options when it comes to tear-drop trailers. Here is just one:

timberleaf.png

My second choice would be to wait for the Quartermaster - if you prefer the wedge camper to pulling a trailer.

You will not have to cut anything - just install an Alu-Cab in the bed, and you still get all the benefits of a canopy camper (or "wedge camper" as we say in the U.S.).

Here are three companies making wedge campers; one is Alu-Cab, who will certainly make one for the Quartermaster. The other two are American companies; they are "similar" to Alu-Cab - but I don't know if either will make anything for the Quartermaster. But its interesting to see what is out there.

Alu-Cab

Go Fast

Super Pacific

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have used a conversion on a 70 series LC Troopy that I rented in Australia for a month long overland trip. It was great, but I am still on the fence on whether it is worth cutting the roof off my brand new rig. I understand the convenience of it, but I also have doubts on how much time I will actually spend in the rig as a "camper" cooking, etc. When I had the rental, I used it as I would a roof tent, hung outside for the night, cooked and at outside on a table, etc. I am currently looking at a Raidbox that provides some basic cooking and refrigeration needs and has a bed that folds out for sleeping inside the truck. But I too have been highly interested in the Alu-Cab option and will be following it closely. I also have a fiberglass rooftent on my 100 Series and am planning on swapping that over to the IG. Combined with the Raidbox I could sleep 4 comfortably, have a back seat for passengers and still have more than average creature comforts.
All great points, thanks! And yes, the big question is if the convenience is worth cutting out the roof. As a point of reference, my previous set-ups have included minimalist camping off an Adventure bike, a Maggiolina RTT on an 80-series LC, a Ford E350 Quigley Sportsmobile, a sleep platform in the back of a GX460, and glamping in a triple slide truck camper on the back of an F450, etc. I mention this as they all have pro’s/con’s and different levels of convenience. What I see in the IG/Alu-Cab combo is the ability to drive anywhere on any trail, at any time of year, and pull over wherever I find a nice site, and if it’s dark, late, cold, raining, snowing, or I’m just too tired to fuss with camp setup, I pop the top, make a quick meal, have a drink, hang out inside, or go to bed. Similarly in the morning, get up, slide “downstairs”, make a cup of coffee, and hang out inside for awhile. And if it’s nice weather and I have the time, I open the awning, pull out the camp chairs, set up a table and stove, and relax outside. If I need to shower or use the toilet, out comes the shower/privacy cube. Lots of options. As a sanity check, I watched a video of setting up the Bush Company TX27, a beautifully engineered tent, but it still involves a lot of climbing up and around to set it up, and sleep in, with two separate living areas, as opposed to the simple set up and singular relatively large-ish living area of the Alu-Cab. But still, cutting the roof off a brand new rig is a tough call. Hmmmm.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All great points, thanks! And yes, the big question is if the convenience is worth cutting out the roof. As a point of reference, my previous set-ups have included minimalist camping off an Adventure bike, a Maggiolina RTT on an 80-series LC, a Ford E350 Quigley Sportsmobile, a sleep platform in the back of a GX460, and glamping in a triple slide truck camper on the back of an F450, etc. I mention this as they all have pro’s/con’s and different levels of convenience. What I see in the IG/Alu-Cab combo is the ability to drive anywhere on any trail, at any time of year, and pull over wherever I find a nice site, and if it’s dark, late, cold, raining, snowing, or I’m just too tired to fuss with camp setup, I pop the top, make a quick meal, have a drink, hang out inside, or go to bed. Similarly in the morning, get up, slide “downstairs”, make a cup of coffee, and hang out inside for awhile. And if it’s nice weather and I have the time, I open the awning, pull out the camp chairs, set up a table and stove, and relax outside. If I need to shower or use the toilet, out comes the shower/privacy cube. Lots of options. As a sanity check, I watched a video of setting up the Bush Company TX27, a beautifully engineered tent, but it still involves a lot of climbing up and around to set it up, and sleep in, with two separate living areas, as opposed to the simple set up and singular relatively large-ish living area of the Alu-Cab. But still, cutting the roof off a brand new rig is a tough call. Hmmmm.
I totally understand having an ADV bike myself, and currently moving on from this XPCamper setup (Currently For Sale). They all have their perks, but in the end I want something that can do a little bit of everything. The XPCamper is a fantastic machine, but I want to get a little further off the beaten path then I feel comfortable with travelling solo.

1706565378841.png

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm thinking similar thoughts as @Jackattack13 - I'd be a little hesitant to cut the roof off a new vehicle that cost $80,000 - but this may not be a concern for you.

In my humble opinion, you have two better options.

My first choice would be an off-road tear-drop trailer.
1 - The Grenadier will pull a tear-drop all day long with no trouble.
2 - The tear drop is much more comfortable to sleep in than the high-position bed in the Alu-Cab, and getting up in the middle of the night to go out for a piss is much easier. It has doors, and you are at "bed height" - not up on top of the roof. You did mention you were north of 60 - 😁
3 - The tear-drops have a kitchen all ready to go. These set-ups are WAY better than what you can build in the back of a Grenadier, and you can leave it stocked with cookware, plates, cutlery, etc. - ready and waiting for your next adventure - and you don't have to carry all that crap around in your Grenadier when you are not on a trip, and you don't have to pull it in-and-out of your car at the start/end of each trip.
4 - The Grenadier can remain at factory weight and spec, which will be better on technical trails, and for daily driving.
5 - You can park your trailer at a sweet camping spot, and head out in your Grenadier to drive to a trailhead, or whatever.

There are many, many options when it comes to tear-drop trailers. Here is just one:

View attachment 7841663

My second choice would be to wait for the Quartermaster - if you prefer the wedge camper to pulling a trailer.

You will not have to cut anything - just install an Alu-Cab in the bed, and you still get all the benefits of a canopy camper (or "wedge camper" as we say in the U.S.).

Here are three companies making wedge campers; one is Alu-Cab, who will certainly make one for the Quartermaster. The other two are American companies; they are "similar" to Alu-Cab - but I don't know if either will make anything for the Quartermaster. But its interesting to see what is out there.

Alu-Cab

Go Fast

Super Pacific
Stickshifter, I just got your post as I was responding to Jackattack. You also have excellent points, so thank you. Strangely enough, I cancelled my order for an Xpedition Voyager “teardrop” trailer less than a week ago, having decided the IG/Alu-Cab was the way to go. I 100% agree on the benefits of towing a trailer with all your kit inside, and leaving the IG stock for daily driving. The issue I have is that the majority of backcountry trips I take are spontaneous and solo (by choice). I think you’d agree that towing a trailer solo in the backcountry on unknown trails has inherent risks. Especially in tight trails of the Pacific Northwest and the passes of Colorado. Getting wedged, jackknifed, bogged down, needing a scout or spotter, are all things of concern. I’m more often moving every day on a BDR type trip than I am setting up a base camp and exploring from there. Getting on/off ferries and being able to fit in tight spaces is also of interest.

Now the Quartermaster is a whole new idea that I hadn’t considered, and one that makes some sense. That however would involve a lot of patience to cancel the IG and start a whole new order process for the QM.

Lots to think about…

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
Stickshifter, I just got your post as I was responding to Jackattack. You also have excellent points, so thank you. Strangely enough, I cancelled my order for an Xpedition Voyager “teardrop” trailer less than a week ago, having decided the IG/Alu-Cab was the way to go. I 100% agree on the benefits of towing a trailer with all your kit inside, and leaving the IG stock for daily driving. The issue I have is that the majority of backcountry trips I take are spontaneous and solo (by choice). I think you’d agree that towing a trailer solo in the backcountry on unknown trails has inherent risks. Especially in tight trails of the Pacific Northwest and the passes of Colorado. Getting wedged, jackknifed, bogged down, needing a scout or spotter, are all things of concern. I’m more often moving every day on a BDR type trip than I am setting up a base camp and exploring from there. Getting on/off ferries and being able to fit in tight spaces is also of interest.

Now the Quartermaster is a whole new idea that I hadn’t considered, and one that makes some sense. That however would involve a lot of patience to cancel the IG and start a whole new order process for the QM.

Lots to think about…
Ahhh... very true. Solo travel on rough trails with a trailer is best avoided. Maybe just bite the bullet and have Alu-Cab cut a hole in your shiny new roof 😁

I know the vehicles are worlds apart, but in my youth I bought a new Toyota pickup, which was significant coin for me at the time. During the first week of ownership I cut a hole in the roof, and installed a sunroof. Never regretted doing so.

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I continue to consider all the valid points that you and others have brought up, but I keep coming back to the one option that will get me out into the backcountry in the simplest and most stress-free way, that being a single fully capable, turn key rig. Granted this comes with some compromises on comfort and space, but my goal is to keep my kit as minimalistic as possible. When I showed my fiancé the beautiful 12 foot wlde slide out kitchen on the Xpedition trailer, she asked if I really needed all that to heat up a chicken breast, or boil water for coffee. Point taken.

Thanks again for your input!

Chelsea Tractor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We are very interested in getting the AluCab conversion
Already have our Queens Red Trialmaster - gave ours a mud bath baptism on our favorite trail on the way home from the dealer. Unfortunately the rain washed off most. Had so much mud I could not see out the driver side window. Interesting the passenger side was clear?
A friend is an AluCab dealer, they have their Grenadier and will be doing the conversion.
Big question we have is how the IG's roof is attached. Both the Land Rover and Toyota have bolt on roofs, believe the IG's is welded. If so there is a bigger commitment to getting the IG conversion where the roof has to be cut off then simply unbolted. AluCab makes a thing about with the others you get to take home your original roof!
Does anyone know for certain how the IGs roof is attached?
IMG_1672 Leslie Gulch Road a small.jpg

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We are very interested in getting the AluCab conversion
Already have our Queens Red Trialmaster - gave ours a mud bath baptism on our favorite trail on the way home from the dealer. Unfortunately the rain washed off most. Had so much mud I could not see out the driver side window. Interesting the passenger side was clear?
A friend is an AluCab dealer, they have their Grenadier and will be doing the conversion.
Big question we have is how the IG's roof is attached. Both the Land Rover and Toyota have bolt on roofs, believe the IG's is welded. If so there is a bigger commitment to getting the IG conversion where the roof has to be cut off then simply unbolted. AluCab makes a thing about with the others you get to take home your original roof!
Does anyone know for certain how the IGs roof is attached?
View attachment 7841688
Your rig looks great in the mud and snow!

I’m very interested to hear the explanation of how the IG roof is attached, so hopefully someone will chime in. I suspect, as you do, that it is welded. If we rewatch the videos of the early prototype builds that’s probably what we’d see. So yes, a serious commitment. I’ve spoken with your friends shop, aware of their plans, and am very happy to let them go first on their own rig. Another personally owned rig will be one of the first done in Southern CA, so I’ll be monitoring that as well. I also heard that Alu-Cab was just about to (last week I believe) cut the roof off at their factory, but I haven’t gotten any feedback on that.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Quick update, I took a leap of faith and pre-ordered the Alu-Cab conversion. Should have the IG in the next few weeks, then I’ll do the Goose Gear rear seat delete/platform, camp out of it through the summer to see how I want to build out the interior, then do the Alu-Cab conversion when it’s available, hopefully Q3-Q4.

Looking forward to others ideas on similar builds.

Back
Top Bottom